[HELP] Power Button broken/stuck

Search This thread

frictionbuster

Apr 5, 2009
Mumbai
I tried searching. Didn't find any other thread for a broken button.

So I was using my phone normally, until today morning. Suddenly the power button got stuck up.(is what i can diagnose out of it).
It keeps restarting to google logo , animation comes up, and then back again.(~8 seconds)
Im rooted and on a custom rom.
I have my phone in warranty, but the bootloader is unlocked, and custom romed.
So, what I wanted to ask is, can I go to a service center and be okay with it?
P.S: Im from India

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Try pressing the power button firmly and see if it loosens up? If it's just the power button which is stuck, then I don't think the unlocked bootloader will matter... If it's broken, then you will have to pay for it irrespective of the bootloader being locked or unlocked.

However, since it's LG (India), nothing can be certain.. Here's an email I had got from them when I had asked them about unlocking/rooting:

b0c1NqD.png

frictionbuster

Apr 5, 2009
Mumbai
Try pressing the power button firmly and see if it loosens up? If it's just the power button which is stuck, then I don't think the unlocked bootloader will matter... If it's broken, then you will have to pay for it irrespective of the bootloader being locked or unlocked.

However, since it's LG (India), nothing can be certain.. Here's an email I had got from them when I had asked them about unlocking/rooting:

b0c1NqD.png

I tried. Now its doing nothing.
But when i plug it into the charger, it just keeps doing the same thing and that padlock symbol. :(
Seriously, no warranty?
Its a hardware fault, right?
And what are the lockup to broken possibilities?
a 6 month old phone.

:(

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
I tried. Now its doing nothing.
But when i plug it into the charger, it just keeps doing the same thing and that padlock symbol. :(
Seriously, no warranty?
Its a hardware fault, right?
And what are the lockup to broken possibilities?
a 6 month old phone.

:(

Well, there's nothing you can do other than sending it in to LG. Try holding the power button for 20-30 seconds and see if it switches off? and then try to boot it?
When you unlock/root there's always a possibility of getting screwed (even though this hardware issue isn't related to unlocking). Take it to the nearest LG Service outlet and hope for the best. Since it's just the power button which is at fault, I think they might cover it! :fingers-crossed:

That's why I always lock the bootloader after I'm done flashing via the bootunlocker app. You can lock/unlock the bootloader without wiping data!

Reflash stock factory images followed by locking your boot loader through fastboot.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The power button is stuck, his phone is rebooting constantly! How can he flash factory images while his device reboots?? :eek:

frictionbuster

Apr 5, 2009
Mumbai
Well, there's nothing you can do other than sending it in to LG. Try holding the power button for 20-30 seconds and see if it switches off? and then try to boot it?
When you unlock/root there's always a possibility of getting screwed (even though this hardware issue isn't related to unlocking). Take it to the nearest LG Service outlet and hope for the best. Since it's just the power button which is at fault, I think they might cover it! :fingers-crossed:

That's why I always lock the bootloader after I'm done flashing via the bootunlocker app. You can lock/unlock the bootloader without wiping data!

The power button is stuck, his phone is rebooting constantly! How can he flash factory images while his device reboots?? :eek:

:'(
Should i wait for a few days?
and thanks vin4yak for the help.
Is there a possibility that something stuck up in between?
Dirt or some particle?
And, if its broken, how much will it cost me?

Thanks.

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Try a service center, tell them the button stucked and you have unlocked bootloader, then ask them will they repair your phone under warranty if they do then ask for a repair. If they do not repair it under warranty then ask them for the price. It must be cheap for unstuck the power button. If you think that price is too much for you then disasdemble the phone and fix power button.

If the guys at the service centre know nexus 5 then they should repair it under warranty.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
:'(
Should i wait for a few days?
and thanks vin4yak for the help.
Is there a possibility that something stuck up in between?
Dirt or some particle?
And, if its broken, how much will it cost me?

Thanks.

You could wait and see if it sorts out?? Possibilities are always there of something like that happening... It's best you show it to a professional (LG SC). No idea about the pricing. Contact LG and get a quote.

Did you buy your phone via play store? If so, you could contact google and see what they have to say about this.

frictionbuster

Apr 5, 2009
Mumbai
You could wait and see if it sorts out?? Possibilities are always there of something like that happening... It's best you show it to a professional (LG SC). No idea about the pricing. Contact LG and get a quote.

Did you buy your phone via play store? If so, you could contact google and see what they have to say about this.

Yes. I,m waiting for a day or two.
And trying.
Nope. I bought it from a normal retailer.
So no chance of Google / Google warranty.
Ill go first to the LG SC and see what they say.

Update: I give a few thumps, on the power button side, using my hand, the button seems to release. Phone tries to boot. and then the button goes back down again.
Hope this is just some dust or a particle of some sort. No damage :rolleyes:

frictionbuster

Apr 5, 2009
Mumbai
Yes. I,m waiting for a day or two.
And trying.
Nope. I bought it from a normal retailer.
So no chance of Google / Google warranty.
Ill go first to the LG SC and see what they say.

Update: I give a few thumps, on the power button side, using my hand, the button seems to release. Phone tries to boot. and then the button goes back down again.
Hope this is just some dust or a particle of some sort. No damage :rolleyes:

Okay. This is amazing.
Today it started working normally. So i flashed stock and locked the bl using the toolkit.
Although I can't feel the problem, I'm gonna go the SC for making sure what that was.
Thanks everyone. Appreciated. :)

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
Okay. This is amazing.
Today it started working normally. So i flashed stock and locked the bl using the toolkit.
Although I can't feel the problem, I'm gonna go the SC for making sure what that was.
Thanks everyone. Appreciated. :)

I had this issue at one point. I fixed it when I was trying to take out one of the screws and my drill hit the phone side and popped it back into place. Who knew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Febag92

May 29, 2010
São Paulo
granco.me
I had this problem twice, and when I opened the back cover it fixed itself like magic. Yesterday I had it again and no luck so far.

I open the phone up to check the internal button, and if "feels" normal. But it's stuck.

Why is this soldered to the mother board? It's such a simple problem and I may have to get a new phone because of it.

GTI6speed

Oct 19, 2013
I had this happen to my volume rocker. I eventually hit it and pressed it enough that it fixed itself.

frictionbuster

Apr 5, 2009
Mumbai
I had this problem twice, and when I opened the back cover it fixed itself like magic. Yesterday I had it again and no luck so far.

I open the phone up to check the internal button, and if "feels" normal. But it's stuck.

Why is this soldered to the mother board? It's such a simple problem and I may have to get a new phone because of it.

Same thing. After I flashed stock, locked the bootloader, the button got stuck again.
Thankfully, I had copied my data and wiped my phone completely.
Went to the service center, and they asked me to submit my phone. :D
Luck, is the only word appropriate here. :)

Notn4

Jul 11, 2010
Pietarsaari
bumping this thread a little bit, my N5 has started showing signs of a sticky power button,just a minute ago I felt it constantly vibrate in my pocket but no sound and when I checked, it was bootlooping... tapped the power button quite hard a few times and now it boots, ain't the first time it happened either, once it took me one full day to get it back to normal.

Is this something that happens only to the first phones? I know that the rattling was fixed at some point in production but mine has it so its one of the first to come out of the factory. What about fixing it myself? or how does warranty work with nexus devices? I bought it from a retailer in Finland that imported them from germany (possibly straight from play store) and the retailer has since gone out of business, is my 24month warranty still valid if the store that issued it is gone?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
bumping this thread a little bit, my N5 has started showing signs of a sticky power button,just a minute ago I felt it constantly vibrate in my pocket but no sound and when I checked, it was bootlooping... tapped the power button quite hard a few times and now it boots, ain't the first time it happened either, once it took me one full day to get it back to normal.

Is this something that happens only to the first phones? I know that the rattling was fixed at some point in production but mine has it so its one of the first to come out of the factory. What about fixing it myself? or how does warranty work with nexus devices? I bought it from a retailer in Finland that imported them from germany (possibly straight from play store) and the retailer has since gone out of business, is my 24month warranty still valid if the store that issued it is gone?

Hard to say. Mine is a day 1 device and has never had this issue not has it rattled. Also you can still get rattling devices so it doesn't look like they've fixed it at all

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ravenspine

Feb 21, 2011
power button removed - need to power on device

I have a question, same problem as dozens and dozens are having with the nexus 5 power button. I had looked around for fixes and came across a workaround for a galaxy s3. remove the 4mm power switch and turn the phone on by holding volume down and plugging the usb cable in. then from the recovery screen hit cancel (reboot) and the phone started up. then there are many apps that allow locking and unlocking of screen without the use of a power button.
...so I removed my power switch, which was the cause of the problem and plugged the phone in with down pressed and VOILA! I was in...or so i thought. I cannot select any option from that menu without a power button. Next i tried to flash a blank .tar file with auto reboot checked even though odin didnt give a com port. When I connected it to my pc it started to install drivers for it, I thought that was a good sign so i opened up ADB and tried to reboot from there, but it didnt pick up the device. (theres a small chance the drivers arent installed correctly, its a friends phone) Since I have a G3 i thought the drivers would be compatible sort of an umbrella of devices by LG.

My question is: is there any way at all, to signal to the phone to power up so i can install workaround apps while the 4mm power switch arrives in the mail? I've also tried a battery pull/plug cable in combo to no avail. if theres a timing trick i'd love to know about it.

thanks all!

Last edited:

RolF2

Sep 25, 2008
with phone booted in bootloader mode you can use "fastboot reboot" command and phone will boot to system .

Reactions: Ravenspine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    with phone booted in bootloader mode you can use "fastboot reboot" command and phone will boot to system .