[One Stop Shop] How to root the Moto X - Let's end the confusion.

Search This thread

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
This thread is to help people figure out what root method is for them and where to go to find out how.

Please simply direct members to this thread or the individual threads for each method.....there's no need to repeat this stuff in thread after thread. A quick link and good luck message keeps XDA clean.

Please send a thanks (with that little thanks button thingy) to these dedicated members who worked hard at these guides and methods.

***A WORD of WARNING!!!*** No matter the model, dev edition....locked bootloader, unlocked bootloader.... Doesn't matter....NO MOTO X can be safely downgraded from 4.4.2 or higher. Not without GREAT risk. (4.4 can be downgraded to 4.2.2 POST camera update for SlapmyMoto root method...but NOT to 4.2.2 PRE camera update.....that will equal a guaranteed brick.) Got it? Good!

Further, due to security features of the phone, the parts which past root/disable write-protection processes exploit, will fail to downgrade, so for those with locked bootloaders you couldn't use the processes for previous versions anyway.

Unlocked Bootloaders (Any Android Version)

Note: See Post 70 for Bootloader Unlocking info.

So, you got a Dev Edition or another model that can have its bootloader unlocked.....awesome! You got it made! Doesn't matter what Android version you're on, the procedure is the same.

Too root, see this awesome GUIDE . There's a section on "How to Unlock your Bootloader.". And a section on "Rooting Unlocked Bootloader." OR after you unlock your bootloader you may root by following -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/instructions-unlocking-rooting-dev-ed-t2649738 Please be sure to use the latest TWRP fastboot IMG file and Installable ZIP of SuperSU

Easy! Done!

Don't know if your bootloader can be unlocked? See Post 70

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4 or lower ONLY (At&T, Verizon and Republic Wireless...and those who just don't want to unlock their bootloader, due to warranty or whatever.)

Now it gets tricky!!!

For devices still on 4.4 or lower you can root AND disable write protection! Awesome!! But....to stay this way...you can never upgrade your android version past 4.4. As it stands today anyway.

Again, see this great GUIDE and read the section on "Rooting Locked Bootloader.". This is quite involved and takes some work. Read read read....and proceed carefully.

(Thanks to @jcase for creating the methods used to achieve this. ��)

If you're already on 4.4.2 or higher....sorry, this will NOT work for you. And no, you can't downgrade from 4.4.2.... Not without great risk!!! Whoever says otherwise....is just plain wrong.

If you have a LOCKED Bootloader and are on 4.4.2 or lower, You could try JCASE's SUNSHINE tool. It will check if your phone is compatible first, if it is and you want to proceed, you will be charged about $25 USD. If it works on your phone it will Unlock the bootloader without destroying data and without needing a code from Moto or the former China Middleman option. For more, please see -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/request-help-exploit-moto-x-bl-t2828471 and/or -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792487 Once your bootloader is unlocked via Sunshine, you then root the same way developer edition or other unlocked bootloader users root (flash TWRP, boot into it, and let it root, or flash SUperSU).

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4.3 and 4.4.2 (Tho, for 4.4 or lower, the method above will give you write protection disabled....a big plus!!)

Well, you can achieve root, but unfortunately, write protection will still be enabled. Meaning...no writing to the system partition, and any changes you make, root wise, will reset after a power down or hard reboot. So some root apps will work fine....and some may not.

This app by @iKrYpToNiTe combines towelroot with pie and is very simple to use. Works up to Android 4.4.3 Check out this thread for his TowelPieRoot for the Moto X app!

Locked bootloaders on Android 4.4.4

Unfortunately, there is no root method for you guys as of today. And again....no....you can't downgrade. Not without significant risk., and even if you could downgrade, due to security features of the phone, the parts which past root/disable write-protection processes exploit, will fail to downgrade, so you can't use those old processes anyway.

Update: There is a VERY RISKY method to root for Verizon and ATT 4.4.4 users that have a LOCKED bootloader. See -> Moto X Root AT&T/VZW [KXA21.12-L1.26] You are required to be on a particular firmware level, it does NOT disable write protection, it only roots. It is risky because it intentionally soft bricks the phone back to the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader mode.

Locked bootloaders on Android 5.1

Again....no....you can't downgrade. Not without significant risk.

There is a VERY RISKY method to root for Verizon and ATT 5.1 users that have a LOCKED bootloader. See -> Root for Moto X ATT XT1058 5.1 [LPA23.12-21.1] You are required to be on a particular firmware level, it does NOT disable write protection, it only roots. It is risky because it intentionally soft bricks the phone back to the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader mode.

There is no option yet for other models with Locked bootloader, like Verizon or Republic Wireless, because as of this edit, 5.1 has not been released for for them.

I'd like to list all the threads I linked and credit the members who created these great guides.

For lots of Moto X info and help, there's this great Guide by @dray_jr
[REF]The Complete Moto X Guides/Information Thread

@iKrYpToNiTes app TowelPieRoot for the Moto X automates the towelroot/pie setup.

A great outside link here by @KidJoe , the Motorola Moto X How To page (The only outside link here......cause it's really good!)

And let's not forget my friend @Perseus71 for this great Moto X resource thread!!! [INDEX][REF][GUIDE][TUTORIAL][RESOURCE] Welcome to your Motorola Moto X - Resource

And a special thanks to our Moto X support Gurus. These guys bust their humps helping the Moto X community and can help with almost any issue!! Just post an issue anywhere in the Moto X section and they are sure to show up!
@samwathegreat and @KidJoe

If these guys tell you something....I can assure you its very solid advice!

I hope this clears up the confusion with rooting your Moto X. Follow the links based on your situation.... And read, read and read again....then do!!!

You can ask questions here if you wish and hopefully the community can assist you....but you would probably be better served asking in the links to your root method. ;)

Happy Rooting!!

Last edited:

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
Additional option for having root with write protection enabled......

From @iKrYpToNiTe :

Okay for any user who is on 4.4 and lower they can root and disable write protection. Then they can install safestrap and flash any stock based rom to the stock slot. They then need to boot into the bootloader to flash the new stock kernel and baseband via fastboot, then reboot and enjoy ;)

my old stock based 4.4.2 rom is here http://rootzwiki.com/topic/116025-romsafestrap-unlockedxt1060-stock-rooted-vzw-164552-kitkat-442/

Remember to thank the man if you visit his thread. ;)

Thanks ikryptonite for the addition. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Darth

@iKrYpToNiTe

I would love for you to write up something and pm me about your ROM method and exactly who it can apply to? Short, sweet and a link to your thread. And I'll add it to the opening post.

I've always been unlocked.... I don't know enough about your method. ;)

Also similar roms that work the same? If you don't mind. ?
you can pm me and I'll add it in.

Thanks my friend! (You don't have to of course.... Just thought your ROM and similar are options too)

D

Darth

This is great. Thanks for taking the time to put this together dude.
I hope it gets read! Lol. The guys that made those threads put a lot of work into them. Yet new root threads pop up daily. ;)

Let's stop repeating root steps and start pointing to the info already available guys. :)

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
I might suggest a few things to clear up the 4.4.2 and Pie, and.... on LOCKED bootloaders.

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4.2 and lower.

Well, you can achieve root, but unfortunately, write protection will still be enabled. Meaning...no writing to the system partition, and any changes you make, root wise, will reset after a power down or hard reboot. So some root a apps will work fine....and some may not.
I would remove "and lower" as while that statement applies to 4.4.2, "lower" would then mean 4.4.0 which SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo still work to root and disable write protection.

Something else I would re-consider... While I agree this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/ref-complete-moto-x-guides-information-t2603358 is great and contains a lot of useful information, it seems to me that many newbies don't understand it, or overlook the information they seek which is why they are asking questions.

For rooting with an unlocked bootloader, might I suggest telling people to get the latest TWRP, SuperSU, and mFastboot, then use -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/step-step-instructions-unlocking-t2649738

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/ref-complete-moto-x-guides-information-t2603358 does not include how to setup and configure ADB and mFastboot, put them in your path, etc. Something like this -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/ADB.htm. It is needed unless someone uses a "tool kit" to root, and many new users don't have a clue about Platform Tools, ADB, or mFastboot.

D

Darth

Heyo there! Looks great so far. Just needs a little formatting and this could be really helpful! I'm humbled by having my name linked in the same thread as jcase and geohot. I do believe @iKrYpToNiTe made an app which makes the Pie+Towelroot easier making my version obsolete.
That will be coming. ;) No way I'm attempting any of that on my mobile browser. Lol. Makes me wanna step on the phone.

As soon as I get time on my family laptop....it'll get a facelift! ;)

You're guide is well laid out for sure....that's why its here. ?

Alternative threads may be added....but only if they have differences. (for different results or methods) Won't be adding basically the same info repeated....just choices. Just in case anyone wonders later.

Verttex

Oct 12, 2012
Dallas
That will be coming. ;) No way I'm attempting any of that on my mobile browser. Lol. Makes me wanna step on the phone.

As soon as I get time on my family laptop....it'll get a facelift! ;)

You're guide is well laid out for sure....that's why its here. ?

Alternative threads may be added....but only if they have differences. (for different results or methods) Won't be adding basically the same info repeated....just choices. Just in case anyone wonders later.

I have updated my own thread to link to @iKrYpToNiTe 's app, so users can get to it from there.

It's also interesting that you mention formatting on mobile browsers. I did most of the writing of that thread on my Moto X while testing everything. It took awhile but it was a relief switching to my PC to respond and edit.

Last edited:
D

Darth

I might suggest a few things to clear up the 4.4.2 and Pie, and.... on LOCKED bootloaders.

I would remove "and lower" as while that statement applies to 4.4.2, "lower" would then mean 4.4.0 which SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo still work to root and disable write protection.

Something else I would re-consider... While I agree this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/ref-complete-moto-x-guides-information-t2603358 is great and contains a lot of useful information, it seems to me that many newbies don't understand it, or overlook the information they seek which is why they are asking questions.

For rooting with an unlocked bootloader, might I suggest telling people to get the latest TWRP, SuperSU, and mFastboot, then use -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/step-step-instructions-unlocking-t2649738

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/ref-complete-moto-x-guides-information-t2603358 does not include how to setup and configure ADB and mFastboot, put them in your path, etc. Something like this -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/ADB.htm. It is needed unless someone uses a "tool kit" to root, and many new users don't have a clue about Platform Tools, ADB, or mFastboot.

Hello my friend!!

I'll tackle each point you made. ;)

You are right about it making more sense to NOT use Pie on 4.4 and lower....but....as I said in post above....it is an alternative. Some may be scared off by the slapmymoto method, it is pretty involved. Or they might not care about write protection and just want to use a few root apps, so Pie may be their choice. I'll clarify that tho for sure!! Good point. ?

I disagree about the Complete Guide thread on one part, I find its easy to find the section you're looking for. But, I think many just ignore long guides cause they are overwhelmed or simply want a quicker answer. It does cover A LOT tho. And when I use it to link, I always mention the heading they should look for.

I will find a good ADB guide as you said tho....I just realized it was not included. I haven't "used" the guide myself. Lol. But no, I can't use the links you suggested, as that's a thread by a banned member (multiple bans on multiple accounts to be clear) and I would never link to anything by a banned member. Just my preference. ;)

And here is a challenge for you I hope you accept.......

I tend to mostly only link to XDA threads, as XDA is my home for this hobby. If I may make a suggestion....why not take some of the excellent things from your webpage (yes, I've seen it....its awesome!) And translate them into XDA guides? The things that XDA is lacking anyway. No need to write guides where guides already exist. If an existing guide is lacking anything....suggesting to the creator to edit it is a good alternative also. Also, as this is going to be the thread linked to on XDA's new Root Directory for all devices....again, I feel it should point members only to XDA information, not outside sites. Even tho your page is great. ?

If you start with the ADB guide, I'll link it here for sure! ? Otherwise I may use an N5 guide I know....and just point out any differences.... Tho there isn't many.

And for rooting unlocked bootloaders, yes....it could be done a little "slower".... So the newest member could even follow it. So there's another guide that could be made. :)

Again, I didn't make this thread to list procedures......I made it to point to info already created by others. The X section is extremely confusing to newcomers..... We needed a clear "map" to help those new members find what they need. ;)

Hopefully the "how to root" threads may slow down. Also, hopefully quick links to this, or the individual threads within this, will help guys like us and a few others from repeating the info day in and day out.

Thanks for the input...I seriously appreciate it. I'll make a few of those changes/clarifications you suggested tomorrow evening. Its late here now.

Last edited:
D

Darth

I have updated my own thread to link to @iKrYpToNiTe 's app, so users can get to it from there.

It's also interesting that you mention formatting on mobile browsers. I did most of the writing of that thread on my Moto X while testing everything. It took awhile but it was a relief switching to my PC to respond and edit.
Lol. You have more patience than me. I hate using the mobile browsers for almost anything.....especially things like editing colors and what not.

I will get to it very soon on my laptop tho.

I felt this should be put up sooner than later, as every day I see 2 or more "how to root MY device with my situation" threads.

I don't blame them.....its been a long standing issue that the X is confusing, and I think more than anything, a lot of the confused members just want confirmation that they're on the right track.

There's perfectly great info on it all in the threads.....but finding it and what suits your circumstance is another story. Its all over. Lol

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Lol. You have more patience than me. I hate using the mobile browsers for almost anything.....especially things like editing colors and what not.

I will get to it very soon on my laptop tho.

I felt this should be put up sooner than later, as every day I see 2 or more "how to root MY device with my situation" threads.

I don't blame them.....its been a long standing issue that the X is confusing, and I think more than anything, a lot of the confused members just want confirmation that they're on the right track.

There's perfectly great info on it all in the threads.....but finding it and what suits your circumstance is another story. Its all over. Lol

Phew! The sheer thought of writing up one-third of what you have on your mobile device exhausts me. I tend to take my laptop -everywhere-, and use the phone for well....phone things LOL and for a substitute when I just can't have my laptop with me. Wow! I wouldn't have thought for one second you'd be patient enough to write all of this up on your phone. KUDOS, bro. You have far more patience than I. ;)

Thanks again for the new thread. I know it will be just awesome (aesthetically) by the time you are finished with it. :good:

KidJoe

Aug 23, 2008
And here is a challenge for you I hope you accept.......

I tend to mostly only link to XDA threads, as XDA is my home for this hobby. If I may make a suggestion....why not take some of the excellent things from your webpage (yes, I've seen it....its awesome!) And translate them into XDA guides? The things that XDA is lacking anyway. No need to write guides where guides already exist. If an existing guide is lacking anything....suggesting to the creator to edit it is a good alternative also.
I have tried suggesting edits to the OP on some threads. They've been ignored.

I would love to have all the stuff here, so people can stay on one site. But my finally typing the stuff on my web pages rather than the forums has been due to several reasons....
  1. I tried writing some of this stuff either as a new thread, or as a post in a thread created by someone (i.e as a helper).. Two examples. 1. Taking an OTA and Returning to Stock started as this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/faq-kit-kat-how-to-prepare-carriers-t2536735 and Bootloader Unlock FAQ started THIS POST in this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/4-1-vzw-att-moto-maker-bootloader-t2680651 and was linked in the OP. I pasted links to it in the "China Middleman Back???" thread. And I posted links to the OTA thread when relevant. Unfortunately, they were ignored, and the same questions asked.
  2. I'm not as well versed and comfortable with layout and formatting, in the forums. Its easier for me to do on my PC with an HTML editor. It makes doing it via web page faster and easier for me.
  3. Doing it as web pages, posting to my site, I could work on them offline, as time permitted, easily formatting them they way I want, etc. then upload after they are ready. Its easy to include pictures if I want, bold, colors, sizes, etc. Putting them in a post is more time consuming, I have to get it right and complete immediately, format it, etc. before I save/post it. Its more difficult to go back and edit a forum post, update it, etc. Again, editing must be done online, and in its entirety. I can't start editing, save, and finish editing tomorrow, otherwise the post wont make sense.
  4. its how I've always done it, even back in the day on HowardForums, especially when we really needed to test most of the processes FIRST before making them available to the public. I could make the page, and only those I gave the link to could see it until I was ready to go live with it.

As for an ADB guide, or rooting an unlocked bootloader X, I could make make them. I would want them to be illustrated so newer people can follow along. Sure us "more experienced members" don't need that much detail, but we aren't the ones asking the questions. :silly: Unfortunately for me, that would be easier to do via web page. :(

I agree that there needs to be a comprehensive repository for rooting the X, the info is scattered, has changed, etc. There is just so much, so many places to start, so many "conditions" and caveats, I wouldn't know where to start. SO I do commend you on this undertaking!

I wouldn't mind taking this discussion to PM if you have ideas or suggestions on how to quickly/easily take some of my pages and convert them to posts.. rather than clutter this thread up any more.

Last edited:
D

Darth

I have tried suggesting edits to the OP on some threads. They've been ignored.

I would love to have all the stuff here, so people can stay on one site. But my finally typing the stuff on my web pages rather than the forums has been due to several reasons....
  1. I tried writing some of this stuff either as a new thread, or as a post in a thread created by someone (i.e as a helper).. Two examples. 1. Taking an OTA and Returning to Stock started as this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/faq-kit-kat-how-to-prepare-carriers-t2536735 and Bootloader Unlock FAQ started THIS POST in this thread -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/4-1-vzw-att-moto-maker-bootloader-t2680651 and was linked in the OP. I pasted links to it in the "China Middleman Back???" thread. And I posted links to the OTA thread when relevant. Unfortunately, they were ignored, and the same questions asked.
  2. I'm not as well versed and comfortable with layout and formatting, in the forums. Its easier for me to do on my PC with an HTML editor. It makes doing it via web page faster and easier for me.
  3. Doing it as web pages, posting to my site, I could work on them offline, as time permitted, easily formatting them they way I want, etc. then upload after they are ready. Its easy to include pictures if I want, bold, colors, sizes, etc. Putting them in a post is more time consuming, I have to get it right and complete immediately, format it, etc. before I save/post it. Its more difficult to go back and edit a forum post, update it, etc. Again, editing must be done online, and in its entirety. I can't start editing, save, and finish editing tomorrow, otherwise the post wont make sense.
  4. its how I've always done it, even back in the day on HowardForums, especially when we really needed to test most of the processes FIRST before making them available to the public. I could make the page, and only those I gave the link to could see it until I was ready to go live with it.

As for an ADB guide, or rooting an unlocked bootloader X, I could make make them. I would want them to be illustrated so newer people can follow along. Sure us "more experienced members" don't need that much detail, but we aren't the ones asking the questions. :silly: Unfortunately for me, that would be easier to do via web page. :(

I agree that there needs to be a comprehensive repository for rooting the X, the info is scattered, has changed, etc. There is just so much, so many places to start, so many "conditions" and caveats, I wouldn't know where to start. SO I do commend you on this undertaking!

I wouldn't mind taking this discussion to PM if you have ideas or suggestions on how to quickly/easily take some of my pages and convert them to posts.. rather than clutter this thread up any more.
I hear ya!!! :)

I don't know much about formatting any page, web or XDA. Lol. I throw in a little color and bold type and underlines...that's about all I know. Lol

I will add your page at the credits area at the end of the OP with the other links. Its definitely worth it for people needing help. ;). (Tonight....hate editing on my phone).

As far as cluttering this thread...I'm not sure if its allowed, but I may ask it to be cleaned after a bit and the OP has been discussed enough and tweaked. Would take a moderator a bit of time....but would be worth it to remove all out discussion that is not directly about rooting. If its not possible....this will all disappear back in the pages eventually.

Hopefully more of the actual root related posts will go in the appropriate threads anyway. Aside from pointing out the way to anyone still unsure which applies to them. Shouldn't be actual troubleshooting here tho. ?

Thanks for your suggestions! If you've noticed I did make some adjustments based on your comments. ;)

Verttex

Oct 12, 2012
Dallas
This thread is to help people figure out what root method is for them and where to go to find out how to root their device. It's a one stop shop for Moto X rooting, since there's many methods based on each devices condition.

I made this also so the Moto X can have ONE single root link on XDA's new root directory, created and maintained by a friend and mentor of mine, @PG101 .

So let's get straight to the current different root methods for the Moto X, as it seems there is confusion about this everyday and new threads started by confused members.

Please simply direct members to this thread or the individual threads for each method.....there's no need to repeat this stuff in thread after thread. A quick link and good luck message keeps XDA clean.

I'm not going to write out root methods....instead I'm going to explain what scenario means what and link to current threads by members who took the time to make guides, how to's and so on.

Please send a thanks (with that little thanks button thingy) to these dedicated members who worked hard at these guides and methods.

Warning!
No matter the model, dev edition....locked bootloader, unlocked bootloader.... Doesn't matter....NO MOTO X can be safely downgraded from 4.4.2 or higher. Not without GREAT risk.

Unlocked Bootloaders

You got it made! Doesn't matter what Android version you're on, the procedure is the same.
See this awesome guide. There's a section on "How to Unlock your Bootloader.". And a section on "Rooting Unlocked Bootloader."

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4 or lower ONLY

For devices still on 4.4 or lower you can root AND disable write protection! Awesome! But to stay rooted, you cannot upgrade past 4.4.

Again, see this great guide and read the section on "Rooting Locked Bootloader.". This is quite involved and takes some work. Read and proceed carefully.

This will NOT work on 4.4.2 or higher!

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4.2

Well, you can achieve root, but unfortunately, write protection will still be enabled. Meaning...no writing to the system partition, and any changes you make, root wise, will reset after a power down or hard reboot. So some root apps will work fine....and some may not.

There are two methods: PIE and Towelroot. Both of these can help you achieve root. PIE is a tethered root while Towelroot runs off an app on the device.

You can also combine these methods using TowelPIERoot made be @iKrYpToNiTe in a very easy and efficient app.

Locked bootloaders in Android 4.4.3 or higher

Unfortunately, there is no root method for you guys as of today. And again, you cannot downgrade without SIGNIFICANT risk.

Warning about using these exploits
Myself or anyone that has helped develop this are not responsible for anything that occurs to your phone by using this method.

I hope this clears up the confusion with rooting your Moto X. Follow the links based on your situation and read the guides! Multiple times!

You can ask questions here if you wish and hopefully the community can assist you....but you would probably be better served asking in the links to your root method.

Credits:

Guide by @dray_jr
>*Moto X*>*Moto X General*>*[REF]The Complete Moto X Guides/Information Thread

PIE for 4.4.2 by @jcase
>*Moto X*>*Moto X Original Android Development*>*[Root 4.4.X] Pie for Motorola devices

Towelroot by @geohot
>*Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 5*>*Verizon Galaxy S 5 General*>*I'm throwing a party and you should come **GS5 ROOT THREAD**. (It works on all devices, see website)

PIE with Towelroot for more functionality by @dier325
>*Moto X*>*Moto X General*>*Towelroot Discussion Thread (good information about the process, but pretty much replaced by @iKrYpToNiTe 's new app....mentioned next)

TowelPieRoot by @iKrYpToNiTe
>*Moto X*>*Moto X Themes and Apps*> *[Root][APP]TowelPieRoot for the Moto X

And let's not forget my friend @Perseus71 for this great Moto X resource thread!
>*Moto X*>*Moto X General*>*[INDEX][REF][GUIDE][TUTORIAL][RESOURCE] Welcome to your Motorola Moto X - Resource

And a special thanks to our Moto X support Gurus. These guys bust their butts helping the Moto X community and can help with almost any issue. Just post an issue anywhere in the Moto X section and they are sure to show up!

Be sure to keep a lookout for @samwathegreat and @KidJoe, they are both very knowledgeable and give good advice.

Hopefully this has cleared up any confusion there is in the Moto X rooting community.

Happy Rooting!

I welcome any feedback here! Please fill me in on anything I'm missing or any mistakes....or any other constructive criticism or suggestions.

Went ahead and cleaned everything up, hope you don't mind. Just had to remove some smiley faces and clean up some grammar ^_^

Last edited:

superp32

Sep 27, 2011
Redding
Google Pixel 3 XL
I'm not sure if it's just me but I can only get exposed to work with Jcases pie root. I have tried both towel root and towel pie but it won't work for me. Not sure if it's even pertinent to this thread but thought I'd throw it out there. I'm on att 4.4.2

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

D

Darth

I'm not sure if it's just me but I can only get exposed to work with Jcases pie root. I have tried both towel root and towel pie but it won't work for me. Not sure if it's even pertinent to this thread but thought I'd throw it out there. I'm on att 4.4.2

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I'd use @iKrYpToNiTe 's app. And look through his thread or ask there about xposed. Chances are its been brought up in the thread already, but maybe not.

Link is near end of first post! ;)

m0yP

Oct 21, 2013
AGS
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Google Pixel 8
Excellent thread, though.

For me, getting to the Motorola's Android environment was kind of tricky, specially coming from a Galaxy S3 Mini, which was my first Android device (coming from iOS and Blackberry) and rooting it was a piece of cake.

Fortunately I got a SIM-unlocked XT1053, which could and was bootloader unlocked by me. So rooting was easier than some other variants are.

I see that there are info everywhere but spread on XDA and other forums. It's nice to see that there is one root-specific thread now, where all possible options are covered.

Keep it going!

Reactions: Verttex

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I can only unlock bootloader up to 4.4.2 but once this is done I can root on 4.4.4?

I'm pretty sure it will be shipped with 4.4.2, since 4.4.4 was just released in Germany and I always received older OS versions on all of my purchased devices
    No.

For ALL Developer Editions (GSM and VZW) Moto X, and some carrier editions (Like T-Mobile, Sprint, Rogers and others), Motorola freely gives away the BootLoader Unlock codes when requested On Motorola's Web SIte. In the case of the Non-Developer Editions, it voids their warranty to request the code. However, for some carriers (like ATT, Verizon and republic Wireless in the USA) motorola does not give out the unlock code.

So when you get your X, try to get the unlock code from Moto's web site. Then....

If you can get the code, and unlock the bootloader, you can root and disable write protection no matter what ROM is on your phone.

After you have UNLocked your boot loader, you may root by following -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/instructions-unlocking-rooting-dev-ed-t2649738 Please be sure to use the latest TWRP fastboot IMG file and Installable ZIP of SuperSU

If you can NOT unlock your bootloader, and your are on 4.4.4 you can not root. Update: There is a VERY RISKY method to root for Verizon and ATT 4.4.4 users that have a LOCKED bootloader. See -> Moto X Root AT&T/VZW [KXA21.12-L1.26] You are required to be on a particular firmware level, it does NOT disable write protection, it only roots. It is risky because it intentionally soft bricks the phone back to the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader mode.

If you can NOT unlock your bootloader, and you are on 4.4.2 you can use TowelPieRoot to root (but write protection is still enabled). EDIT2: If you are on 4.4.2 or lower, and some users with 4.4.3 and 4.4.4, you could try JCASE's SUNSHINE tool. It will check if your phone is compatible first, if it is and you want to proceed, you will be charged. If it works on your phone it will Unlock the bootloader without destroying data and without needing a code from Moto or the China Middleman. For more, please see -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/request-help-exploit-moto-x-bl-t2828471 and/or -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792487 Once your bootloader is unlocked via Sunshine, you then root the same way developer edition or other unlocked bootloader users root (flash TWRP, boot into it, and let it root, or flash SUperSU).

If you can NOT unlock your bootloader, and by some miracle your phone is still on 4.4 (aka 4.4.0) or below, you can look at SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo to root and disable write protection. HOWEVER, once you upgrade you will lose write protection, and be subject to the above conditions on rooting depending on your ROM version Again, JCASE's SUNSHINE tool should work to unlock the bootloader as well, then root like any other unlocked device.

And no, if you are on 4.4.4 you can NOT fully downgrade to 4.4.2 or lower. If you are on 4.4.2 you can NOT fully downgrade to 4.4 (aka 4.4.0) or lower! If you try, you will likely brick your phone or set it up to brick with future OTA's.

NO LONGER AVAILABLE -> EDIT: And if Moto's web site doesn't give out your bootloader unlock code, you MIGHT have a chance using the China Middleman (see the thread in the general section). If its available and you can purchase that way, you can then unlock your bootloader exactly as if you got the code from Moto's own web site and follow any instructions as if you got the code from moto. The only difference is where you got the code, and how much it cost.

If you decide to go the China Middleman route, see -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/china-middleman-t2751177/post52648309
    This thread is to help people figure out what root method is for them and where to go to find out how.

***A WORD of WARNING!!!*** No matter the model, dev edition....locked bootloader, unlocked bootloader.... Doesn't matter....NO MOTO X can be safely downgraded from 4.4.2 or higher. Not without GREAT risk. (4.4 can be downgraded to 4.2.2 POST camera update for SlapmyMoto root method...but NOT to 4.2.2 PRE camera update.....that will equal a guaranteed brick.) Got it? Good!

Further, due to security features of the phone, the parts which past root/disable write-protection processes exploit, will fail to downgrade, so for those with locked bootloaders you couldn't use the processes for previous versions anyway.

Unlocked Bootloaders (Any Android Version)

Note: See Post 70 for Bootloader Unlocking info.

So, you got a Dev Edition or another model that can have its bootloader unlocked.....awesome! You got it made! Doesn't matter what Android version you're on, the procedure is the same.

Too root, see this awesome GUIDE . There's a section on "How to Unlock your Bootloader.". And a section on "Rooting Unlocked Bootloader." OR after you unlock your bootloader you may root by following -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/instructions-unlocking-rooting-dev-ed-t2649738 Please be sure to use the latest TWRP fastboot IMG file and Installable ZIP of SuperSU

Easy! Done!

Don't know if your bootloader can be unlocked? See Post 70

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4 or lower ONLY (At&T, Verizon and Republic Wireless...and those who just don't want to unlock their bootloader, due to warranty or whatever.)

Now it gets tricky!!!

For devices still on 4.4 or lower you can root AND disable write protection! Awesome!! But....to stay this way...you can never upgrade your android version past 4.4. As it stands today anyway.

Again, see this great GUIDE and read the section on "Rooting Locked Bootloader.". This is quite involved and takes some work. Read read read....and proceed carefully.

(Thanks to @jcase for creating the methods used to achieve this. ��)

If you're already on 4.4.2 or higher....sorry, this will NOT work for you. And no, you can't downgrade from 4.4.2.... Not without great risk!!! Whoever says otherwise....is just plain wrong.

If you have a LOCKED Bootloader and are on 4.4.2 or lower, You could try JCASE's SUNSHINE tool. It will check if your phone is compatible first, if it is and you want to proceed, you will be charged about $25 USD. If it works on your phone it will Unlock the bootloader without destroying data and without needing a code from Moto or the former China Middleman option. For more, please see -> http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/request-help-exploit-moto-x-bl-t2828471 and/or -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792487 Once your bootloader is unlocked via Sunshine, you then root the same way developer edition or other unlocked bootloader users root (flash TWRP, boot into it, and let it root, or flash SUperSU).

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4.3 and 4.4.2 (Tho, for 4.4 or lower, the method above will give you write protection disabled....a big plus!!)

This app by @iKrYpToNiTe combines towelroot with pie and is very simple to use. Works up to Android 4.4.3 Check out this thread for his TowelPieRoot for the Moto X app!

Locked bootloaders on Android 4.4.4

Unfortunately, there is no root method for you guys as of today. And again....no....you can't downgrade. Not without significant risk., and even if you could downgrade, due to security features of the phone, the parts which past root/disable write-protection processes exploit, will fail to downgrade, so you can't use those old processes anyway.

Update: There is a VERY RISKY method to root for Verizon and ATT 4.4.4 users that have a LOCKED bootloader. See -> Moto X Root AT&T/VZW [KXA21.12-L1.26] You are required to be on a particular firmware level, it does NOT disable write protection, it only roots. It is risky because it intentionally soft bricks the phone back to the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader mode.

Locked bootloaders on Android 5.1

Again....no....you can't downgrade. Not without significant risk.

There is a VERY RISKY method to root for Verizon and ATT 5.1 users that have a LOCKED bootloader. See -> Root for Moto X ATT XT1058 5.1 [LPA23.12-21.1] You are required to be on a particular firmware level, it does NOT disable write protection, it only roots. It is risky because it intentionally soft bricks the phone back to the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader mode.

There is no option yet for other models with Locked bootloader, like Verizon or Republic Wireless, because as of this edit, 5.1 has not been released for for them.

I'd like to list all the threads I linked and credit the members who created these great guides.

For lots of Moto X info and help, there's this great Guide by @dray_jr
    [REF]The Complete Moto X Guides/Information Thread

@iKrYpToNiTes app TowelPieRoot for the Moto X automates the towelroot/pie setup.

A great outside link here by @KidJoe , the Motorola Moto X How To page (The only outside link here......cause it's really good!)

And let's not forget my friend @Perseus71 for this great Moto X resource thread!!! [INDEX][REF][GUIDE][TUTORIAL][RESOURCE] Welcome to your Motorola Moto X - Resource

And a special thanks to our Moto X support Gurus. These guys bust their humps helping the Moto X community and can help with almost any issue!! Just post an issue anywhere in the Moto X section and they are sure to show up!
    @samwathegreat and @KidJoe

If these guys tell you something....I can assure you its very solid advice!

I hope this clears up the confusion with rooting your Moto X. Follow the links based on your situation.... And read, read and read again....then do!!!

You can ask questions here if you wish and hopefully the community can assist you....but you would probably be better served asking in the links to your root method. ;)

Happy Rooting!!
    Questions :
    1. Is there anyway to root without unlocking the bootloader.?
    2. If i unlock the bootloader and root my phone, would i still be able to update my phone over OTA(if motorola pushes it)
    3. How to take backup of my current stock ROM, before rooting, so that if anything goes wrong, i should be able to revert back.

4. What are the possibilities of unrooting the phone and re-locking the bootloader.?

Thankx again.
    1. As stated, once 4.4.4 is on your device, NO. see Post #70 for more break down.
    2. Yes, as long as you don't vary to far from stock, and have stock recovery back on your phone. You need stock recovery on your phone, or the OTA will cause a bootloop, and there is a pre-flash validation check done by the OTA to make sure your phone, its apps and parts are on the "correct versions" before it installs. For more see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-OTA.html
    3. There isn't much that can go wrong when rooting with an unlock bootloader. Your best best to revert back is to visit one of the sites that hosts SBF files (see link in my signature), download the version currently on your phone, and flash it to return to stock.
    4. You can unroot by flashing back to the stock SBF.

As for re-locking the bootloader, there are 3 states for the bootloader on the Moto X... still factory bootloader = LOCKED Status 0, after using the code and unlocking bootloader = Unlocked Status 3, or finally after doing an OEM RELOCK command = Locked Status 2 (status 2 is also known as "RElocked"). We don't have a way to toggle back to "LOCKED Status 0" so toggling back to "locked status 2" doesn't really make much difference.
    As @KidJoe mentioned... Until it works for every X, or I think... Until there's a thread explaining the ins and outs and how to make it work... concerning the Moto X, it's too vague a method to include.

This thread is just an index to other threads pertaining to rooting the X.... If it's included with no thread relevant to the X linked... This becomes the discussion /Q&A thread for it. That's not the idea of this thread.

You and I both know, without a step-by-step guide for it, relevant to the X.... Many members will be lost. So when there's a guide for CF, including the things you've mentioned to get it working on each variant.... I'm holding off.

Once there is a good thread on it, of course it'll be added. ?

Fair enough, but at least mention it and link to the cf-auto-root official thread and page and say "no detailed info available, continue at your own risk" just so people know that such a method exists.

Your post is titled [Once Stop Shop], so one would assume that all known info about rooting the Moto X is there and they shouldn't have to (and probably wouldn't) look elsewhere when they read it. I for once, wouldn't have been happy if i was a new Moto X user and I was made to believe that the only way to root on an unlocked bootloader is to flash custom recovery because I like to stay as stock as possible including stock recovery. So if i was made to double flash my recovery partition to root and get back to stock recovery and I knew later that there was an easier way that doesn't involve overwriting ur recovery partition (twice) or flashing anything (u use "fastboot boot" to boot the cf-auto-root image, not "fastboot flash" to flash it), I wouldn't have been a happy user because ur "Once Stop Shop" post didn't mention that this method even exists.

I will try to put together a step-by-step guide on how to use it if I have some free time and let u know.
    Thanks.

So what I did before was go into recovery, then select "wipe" then I did "swipe to factory reset" that go rid of everything :( What I should have done was "wipe" then "advance wipe" then just check only "dalvik cache" and "cache"? This would keep all my apps?

That's right.