[Q] Can Custom ROM damage digitizer (worked fine on installat, next day no response)?

Search This thread

maheswaran

Aug 28, 2014
COIMBATORE
Hi all,

I have Micromax canvas HD A116, rooted and have used several Custom ROM in it.

Yesterday Evening I installed another custom rom (third in one week) Samflare V 6.3 (No offence, I like Samflare very much and planed to use the same after repair if it is not the cause of issue).

Everything worked fine as it meant to be when i got to bed.

But today morning (first time I saw the mobile) the Touch and Capacitive buttons didn't responded, so i searched some threats and the answer I got was it was a hardware failiure. The same was confirmed by Micromax service center .

My Question is

Is it possible for a Custom Rom to damage Digitizer? (after installation everything worked fine)

or is it a coincidence?

The reason I asked this question is I cant live without Custom ROM

Please help me with an answer...

Thanks in advance

cmahendra

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2012
Mumbai
Hi all,

Yesterday Evening I installed another custom rom (third in one week) Samflare V 6.3 (No offence, I like Samflare very much and planed to use the same after repair if it is not the cause of issue).

But today morning (first time I saw the mobile) the Touch and Capacitive buttons didn't responded, so i searched some threats and the answer I got was it was a hardware failiure. The same was confirmed by Micromax service center .

My Question is

Is it possible for a Custom Rom to damage Digitizer? (after installation everything worked fine)

or is it a coincidence?

Thanks in advance

As far as digitizer of A116 is concerned it may get partially stop working if you have installed Custom Rom on 4.1.2 (not 4.2.1) directly. It is recommended that you get your phone upgraded to 4.2.1 from company. This is important because 4.2.1 upgrades your TOUCHPANEL while upgrading which is called TPUpgrade. If you have bought phone long time before with 4.1.2 then TPUpgrade process is very important.

Some experienced users can upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.2.1 and perform TPUpgrade process which is required to be done carefully. After upgrade of rom, this TPUpgrade process runs automatically for one time and while it is in progress, user should not touch the screen of mobile until next message appears. Otherwise TPUpgrade fails and phone is bricked.

Coming back to Custom Rom discussion.
Generally custom rom can not damage your hardware because its just a software and at least it cannot damage touchscreen physically. But sometimes touch may stop working if there is any problem in rom or the rom file is corrupted or any other unknown reason.

The solutions is you flash any other custom rom or especially flash latest Stock Rom. Either recovery method (flash from recovery) or SPTools method (flash from pc). Mostly SPTools method solves any such wierd issues.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

maheswaran

Aug 28, 2014
COIMBATORE
As far as digitizer of A116 is concerned it may get partially stop working if you have installed Custom Rom on 4.1.2 (not 4.2.1) directly. It is recommended that you get your phone upgraded to 4.2.1 from company. This is important because 4.2.1 upgrades your TOUCHPANEL while upgrading which is called TPUpgrade. If you have bought phone long time before with 4.1.2 then TPUpgrade process is very important.

Some experienced users can upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.2.1 and perform TPUpgrade process which is required to be done carefully. After upgrade of rom, this TPUpgrade process runs automatically for one time and while it is in progress, user should not touch the screen of mobile until next message appears. Otherwise TPUpgrade fails and phone is bricked.

Generally custom rom can not damage your hardware because its just a software and at least it cannot damage touchscreen physically. But sometimes touch may stop working if there is any problem in rom or the rom file is corrupted or any other unknown reason.

The solutions is you flash any other custom rom or especially flash latest Stock Rom. Either recovery method (flash from recovery) or SPTools method (flash from pc). Mostly SPTools method solves any such wierd issues.

Thanks for ur kind reply. Really ur answer means to me a lot.

Now I can safely assure that Custom ROM can make Digitizer not respond due to software error, but cannot damage the same (must work with other Custom ROM or Stock ROM)

For ur kind information, I Had 4.2.1 (updated from service center) before rooting (CWM recovery).

After the problem I flashed TWRP recovery with SP Tool and even in recovery mode the touch didn't responded.

After that I flashed Stock ROM using SP Tool and still same result.

So Surely it must be a hardware failure.

Once again thanks for ur timely reply, if there is anything else I missed out please inform me.

thanks cmahendra

cmahendra

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2012
Mumbai

Now I can safely assure that Custom ROM can make Digitizer not respond due to software error, but cannot damage the same (must work with other Custom ROM or Stock ROM)

For ur kind information, I Had 4.2.1 (updated from service center) before rooting (CWM recovery).

After the problem I flashed TWRP recovery with SP Tool and even in recovery mode the touch didn't responded.

Once again thanks for ur timely reply, if there is anything else I missed out please inform me.

thanks cmahendra

You clearly confirmed that you had 4.2.1 updated from service center.
Then you confirm that you even tried other custom roms and flashed stock rom with sptools method.
Then "Yes" It seems pure hardware failure. Its waste of time thinking why it happened and did you drop phone or not or any other reason.
If phone is still in warranty. Flash Stock 4.2.1 with sptools and give at service center. I dont see any other way out.

Reactions: maheswaran

maheswaran

Aug 28, 2014
COIMBATORE
Then you confirm that you even tried other custom roms and flashed stock rom with sptools method.
Then "Yes" It seems pure hardware failure. Its waste of time thinking why it happened and did you drop phone or not or any other reason.
If phone is still in warranty. Flash Stock 4.2.1 with sptools and give at service center. I dont see any other way out.

Not in warranty period, gave to service center for paid service...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

My Question is

or is it a coincidence?

Thanks in advance

thanks cmahendra