[Q] How to Root or Read MSL / SPC on Galaxy S3 SCH S960L Tracfone

Search This thread

chainsmkgbstrd

Jun 20, 2013
Just wondering how to root this galaxy s3 from tracfone (run on android 4.1.2) from the specification its look like the s3 from sprint.
and how to get the msl / spc code for this phone (have been ask the tracfone cs so many time but they didnt give me)

miryclay

Jul 11, 2013
Ditto

I have the same exact phone and am wondering this myself. The details that I have on hand are:

Qualcomm 4g
Model: SCH-960L(GP)
Android Version 4.1.2
Baseband Version: S960LWYAMD6

Kernel Version: 3.0.31-1151419
se.infra@SEP-129 #1
SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 19 13:43:50 KST 2013

Build Number: JZO54K.S960LWYAMD6
Hardware Version S960L.01

One thing about this particular model is that it is CDMA/LTE with the option to choose CDMA only. It also doesn't appear to have a place for a sim card (which is utterly ridiculous from a company that was enticing people to BYOP... LOL, especially knowing the huge markup on their phones.)

Forgive my noobishness, I'm very noob to this. I've rooted one particular model phone previously (Galaxy Proclaim | StraightTalk) for like 3 different people, and now am looking to root this particular model as well. I am willing to obtain any information you need, I just need someone to guide me through it. I won't be on StraightTalk for but a few more months anyways and I'll be switching over to sprint.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Just wondering how to root this galaxy s3 from tracfone (run on android 4.1.2) from the specification its look like the s3 from sprint.
and how to get the msl / spc code for this phone (have been ask the tracfone cs so many time but they didnt give me)

I also thought I'd add that I've tried multiple variations of processes trying to get the MSL from this phone.
I've tried through Android Terminal, using the APP sniffer: AlogCat, and tried dialing ##data# entering 000000 and then opening GetMyMSL a 2nd time after dialing and entering the incorrect password and got the same error message I received when I opened GetMyMSL the first time prior to dialing ##data#.

Of course I do know that most people want the MSL to unlock their phone, and I'm not sure how worth it, it would actually be to unlock a CDMA phone that doesn't have SIM card ability... I just had an S3 on Verizon that was unlocked with Sim Card ability that was briefly in my possession and it had GSM and CDMA support, but this model doesn't appear to have GSM unless it's locked up somewhere (but then why no Sim??)

Anyways just food for thought. I'm only really interested in Rooting so I can use CWM and Rom Toolbox to get JellyBeans on this phone. :)

miryclay

Jul 11, 2013
Solution found

Found a method that worked for this model.

androidrootz dot com /2013/05/ how-to-root-galaxy-s3-on-mac.html

I can't post links because I'm a forum noob so you'll have to put the link together on your own.

You download the script, then use sudo inside of Terminal either on Mac or Linux. Change the permissions by using CHMOD, and then execute the script. I can confirm that this in fact rooted my device which is the very model that I posted information about.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

So now for my next question regarding this model. Now that it's rooted. What Roms can I safely use?

I know that the phone is TracFone owned and Operated under the guise of StraightTalk.
But I also know that this phone runs on Sprint Towers using CDMA/LTE

So will this phone safely use Sprint Roms from Clockwork? Or will it mess up the APN settings? :eek:

I mean it uses the Sprint towers anyways right? I'm too chicken to do it... lol

miryclay

Jul 11, 2013
provide me with teh radio and i can get a way to find the spc.

How do I do that? I'm noob dude, that's why I said I would need some guidance... is it easy to find? Do I have to take it apart? I have no clue as to exactly what I'm looking for exactly.
:/
Googley Googley... If you know any good reads please send them my way...

Last edited:

ruger45

Jul 1, 2013
did anybody find a safe way to root the sch-s960l on windows? i have one and i am willing to do what i can to help figure it out but i am a noob from hell with this stuff.

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

if you can provide me the modem/radio i can help

is this what you are looking for: MD6

those are the last 3 digits of my baseband number. just in case full number is s960lwyamd6

el_venga

May 17, 2007
i also want to get SPC/MSL from this device. this is password 2013032720130823. source? kanishk at gsmforum. do you know any custom recovery that works with this model?
i have installed the d2vzw but no access to partitions.

SLUDER4

Jun 10, 2014
Washington Court House
did anybody find a safe way to root the sch-s960l on windows? i have one and i am willing to do what i can to help figure it out but i am a noob from hell with this stuff.

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

is this what you are looking for: MD6

those are the last 3 digits of my baseband number. just in case full number is s960lwyamd6

Just download towel root

Stuart Little

Aug 12, 2013
Utrecht
www.mailtown.tk
You can root with:

POOT: This app is a one click root app. No computer needed

Framaroot: Framaroot is a oneclick root app . No computer needed
This is the most popular one!

Z4Root: Z4Root is an oneclick root app . No computer needed

Towelroot: Towelroot is an oneclick root app. No computer needed

Baidu: No information

Vroot: No information

Gingerbreak: This app can root almost all gingerbread devices

Downloads:

Poot - Download the app >>here<<

Framaroot - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Z4ROOT - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Towelroot - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Baidu ROOT - Download the app >> HERE <<

vROOT - Download the app >> HERE <<

Gingerbreak - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Flash a SU ZIP - Download the ZIP >> HERE << and flash it on your unlocked bootloader phone !

Hit thanks if you liked this post or this post has helped you out !<br/>

Sent through my Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 4

Top Liked Posts