Sony Z1s T-Mobile Bootloader Unlock Petition

Search This thread

vinhjkd

Oct 24, 2013
If you bought the Sony Z1s on T-Mobile you were probably disappointed to learn that it has a locked bootloader and is therefore currently unrootable. Unfortunately, T-Mobile requested Sony to lock the bootloader. The non T-Mobile exclusive version, the Sony Z1, has an official method of unlocking the bootloader courtesy of Sony.

T-Mobile has stated that locked bootloader is necessary because rooting the phone voids the warranty and users may install software that can harm the device.

Every user that roots accepts the their warranty may be voided and that the device may be harmed.
The vast majority of T-Mobile devices do not have a locked bootloader and can be rooted.

This is a surprising and very disappointing move by the so called "uncarrier".

Please sign this petition which will be sent to the Executive Response team at T-Mobile.
http://chn.ge/1k6HIYx

Root achieved!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2644946

96 people have now signed! Keep spreading the word! So close

Last edited:
Reactions: xstt and Tactic13

LaosPerson

May 15, 2013
I knew it this day will come, I just hope this petition will work, because most of them are useless sadly :(

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
I'll support petition, don't have Z1s but Z1.... but who cares...

It's a longshot but there's not much to lose...

Edit:
Signed
Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

El Presidente81

May 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
My understanding is that It's not just T-Mo, or the Z1/Z1s. Every carrier locked version of any Xperia device is the same, "bootloader unlock allowed" is always No.

I'm locked to EE in the UK and my bootloader can't be unlocked (generally EE don't care about that sort of thing), my mum who as an O2 branded version is the same.

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
My understanding is that It's not just T-Mo, or the Z1/Z1s. Every carrier locked version of any Xperia device is the same, "bootloader unlock allowed" is always No.

I'm locked to EE in the UK and my bootloader can't be unlocked (generally EE don't care about that sort of thing), my mum who as an O2 branded version is the same.

WRONG

I am on Vodafone (UK) contract and every single phone I have had from them comes with the ability to unlock the bootloader

3x Xperia T and 1x Xperia Z1

Plus X10 and neo and arc... but that was before the days of official support for unlocking

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
It doesn't matter

It has been mentioned (Incorrectly) many times about the link between sim free / contract phones

The correct version is this

In general SIM free non contract phones come with an unlockable bootloadler, but not all of them. Some have bootlaoders which cannot be unlocked.

In general carrier SIM locked phones have bootloaders which cannot be unlocked, but some do not. (Mine as an example)

WilliamTell13

Aug 27, 2015
I'll sign the petition. I wouldn't have bought the phone had I known the bootloader was locked. I bought it the day it was released in the U.S. It looks like the Z1s isn't getting 5.1.1, so I'd love to be able to manually install it.

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you bought the Sony Z1s on T-Mobile you were probably disappointed to learn that it has a locked bootloader and is therefore currently unrootable. Unfortunately, T-Mobile requested Sony to lock the bootloader. The non T-Mobile exclusive version, the Sony Z1, has an official method of unlocking the bootloader courtesy of Sony.

T-Mobile has stated that locked bootloader is necessary because rooting the phone voids the warranty and users may install software that can harm the device.

Every user that roots accepts the their warranty may be voided and that the device may be harmed.
    The vast majority of T-Mobile devices do not have a locked bootloader and can be rooted.

This is a surprising and very disappointing move by the so called "uncarrier".

Please sign this petition which will be sent to the Executive Response team at T-Mobile.
    http://chn.ge/1k6HIYx

Root achieved!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2644946

96 people have now signed! Keep spreading the word! So close