Is my phone bricked?

Search This thread

JeffDenver

Jun 24, 2010
Some background:

1 - I have installed the latest version of TWRP for the Rezound, and it appears to work fine. Even now. I can even Mount the SD card and transfer stuff to it from the PC.

2 - Any ROM I install from TWRP leads to a black screen on reboot. I see the HTC logo, and then it just goes black. It will then do nothing until I do a battery pull. No matter what buttons I press.

3 - This is not my primary phone and even if I bricked it, it's not a huge loss. Mostly I use it to experiment on so I don't hose my real phones. But I would still like to get it working in case a friend on Verizon ever needs a backup.

I have attempted to install Liquid Smooth ROM and OmniROM with the same result. I had a JB Liquid Smooth ROM on there before and it was working ok. The ones I tried to install were KitKat ROMs.

Any ideas? It is possible I might have accidentally deleted something I shouldn't (wiping caches from within TWRP), but I can't really think of what that would be. When I have installed these ROMs from TWRP it does tell me it was successful.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Some background:

1 - I have installed the latest version of TWRP for the Rezound, and it appears to work fine. Even now. I can even Mount the SD card and transfer stuff to it from the PC.

2 - Any ROM I install from TWRP leads to a black screen on reboot. I see the HTC logo, and then it just goes black. It will then do nothing until I do a battery pull. No matter what buttons I press.

3 - This is not my primary phone and even if I bricked it, it's not a huge loss. Mostly I use it to experiment on so I don't hose my real phones. But I would still like to get it working in case a friend on Verizon ever needs a backup.

I have attempted to install Liquid Smooth ROM and OmniROM with the same result. I had a JB Liquid Smooth ROM on there before and it was working ok. The ones I tried to install were KitKat ROMs.

Any ideas? It is possible I might have accidentally deleted something I shouldn't (wiping caches from within TWRP), but I can't really think of what that would be. When I have installed these ROMs from TWRP it does tell me it was successful.
Not likely... I am assuming your Rezound is S-ON, so you need to manually flash the boot.img using fastboot from the ROM -AFTER- flashing the ROM and gapps or the ROM will not boot. When an HTC device is S-ON, recovery cannot flash the boot.img, so it has to be done manually.

1. Flash ROM and Gapps
2. Reboot phone into bootloader and start fastboot, connect the USB cable
3. In the rom.zip file you flashed, find and extract the file called "boot.img" and place it in the fastboot directory on your PC
4. Enter the command: fastboot flash boot boot.img from the fastboot directory
5. Reboot and give it some time, initial boot on some ROMs can exceed 5-10 minutes.

Reactions: JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Jun 24, 2010
Not likely... I am assuming your Rezound is S-ON, so you need to manually flash the boot.img using fastboot from the ROM -AFTER- flashing the ROM and gapps or the ROM will not boot. When an HTC device is S-ON, recovery cannot flash the boot.img, so it has to be done manually.

1. Flash ROM and Gapps
3. In the rom.zip file you flashed, find and extract the file called "boot.img" and place it in the fastboot directory on your PC
5. Reboot and give it some time, initial boot on some ROMs can exceed 5-10 minutes.

Thank you, I forgot I had to install the boot.img after. I have been spoiled on the nexus 4 and 5, and forgot what a pain in the ass HTC devices are for this stuff. I had to install their stupid sync program to get USB drivers as well.

OmniROM is working and KitKat is awesome. The UI finally feels as smooth as my Galaxy Nexus.

Reactions: acejavelin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some background:

1. Flash ROM and Gapps

1. Flash ROM and Gapps

Thank you, I forgot I had to install the boot.img after. I have been spoiled on the nexus 4 and 5, and forgot what a pain in the ass HTC devices are for this stuff. I had to install their stupid sync program to get USB drivers as well.

OmniROM is working and KitKat is awesome. The UI finally feels as smooth as my Galaxy Nexus.