AR recovery and s-off ( FIX )

Search This thread

carm01

Jun 17, 2011
Ohio - land of the boring
I have seen a lot of folks having all kind of strange issues with AR recovery after s-off. Myself included. Most notably:

1) No being able to mount the SD card getting error:
E: can't mount /dev/block/mmcblkp2 ( File exists )

2) unable to preform nandroid back up stating oops an error occurred, please check the log. well there is no log.

3) cant move the error log, gives another error.

After hours of trying to do everything under the sun, this is extremely frustrating; nothing works, but....

CWM touch. I can mount the SD card, and do nandroid back ups.

Is anyone else having issues with AR recovery?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLUTION FOR NANDROID backups and restores ONLY ( suggestion thanks to: a.mcdear & Mikej69 ; give credit where credit is due )

WARNING THIS WILL ERASE YOUR EXTERNAL SD MEMORY CARD
Some steps can be omitted since I have CWM touch installed.

**An important note about CWM: For the Rezound there is a charging bug. This bug prevents the phone from charging if you happen to let the battery die. This happened to me and sux big time.**

OPTION 1

1) boot to hboot usb mode
2) flash AR 3.15
2a) ( option from scotty1223 ) within AR choose wipe sd card
3) Reboot to your ROM
4) Navigate under SETTINGS -> SD and phone storage
5) Choose Unmount SD card
6) Choose Erase card
7) reboot into recovery and run your backups and restores; they should work

OPTION 2 usb mounting

Within AR recovery choose partition SD card with all default settings ( that resolved the error when mounting the SD card within AR recovery, however i cannot view the files on a PC when mounted in AR recovery still ). Others are claiming that it works, so i believe that, just me having issues.

If anyone needs AR 3.14, you can get it here

6/20/2012: below is a flashable via bootloader of the latest AR recovery 3.15

Attachments

• PH98IMG.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 1,120
Last edited:

NAU420

Apr 8, 2012
I've been asking the same question about five times with no answer. I tried the ICS fixes that others have posted with no luck. So if you get a answer to this, I would love to know the hows.....

a.mcdear

May 20, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Mine seems to work totally fine in conjunction with ENG HBOOT 2.11...

performing a backup right now, I'll try restoring it in as soon as its done.

Nopi45

Mar 14, 2012
Lawton
I have successfully ported TWRP Recovery to the Rezound. It is an unofficial port and all credit goes to teamwin.

I used a combo of the galaxy nexus, amonra recovery, stock recovery (htc official), and the Evo3D version of twrp to make this work.

Known Issues: The internal SD card won't mount correctly. I am working on it.
Workaround: Made flashable zip files that manually mount the internal sd card. If you need a file that is on it, flash the corresponding zip file in recovery. Then you will be able to access it. Sorry about this.... The "real" fixes aren't working as they should :(

Installation: Flash the attached image via fastboot or attached PH98IMG.zip. Use the command "fastboot flash recovery nameoffile.img" if you chose the fastboot route.

MD5 of TWRPVIGORBeta1.img: E31A78DF7454261CD5975E34DF763011
MD5 of PH98IMG.zip:64308E0CF447E496918ED21E7090B744
Pictures:

attachment.php

The emergency main version one is for people who have their main version set really high and don't have a working recovery to downgrade it. After using the emergency main version zip I highly recommend using the main version downgrader linked in my signature.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

Not AR but will give y'all an option the OP is in devolpment section and its by con.

All credit to con237!:beer:

Sent from my CleanRom DE 1.2 Rezound

GreenXSniper

Mar 11, 2011
Detroit
Im on the ICS leak with s-off from ControlBear 0.2.1 hboot 2.21 JuopunutBear and using amon ra 3.15 and my backups work.

NAU420

Apr 8, 2012
You should use amon ra 3.15 with ICS Leak. See if it works then.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

I just tried it. Downloaded RA 3.15 then fastboot flash recovery recovery.img. The phone took it, then I reboot to bootloader and then to recovery. I tried a backup and got the following:

Ooops... something went wrong!
Please check the recovery log!

a.mcdear

May 20, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I just tried it. Downloaded RA 3.15 then fastboot flash recovery recovery.img. The phone took it, then I reboot to bootloader and then to recovery. I tried a backup and got the following:

Strange. I wonder why yours doesn't work..... :(

ENG HBOOT 2.11 + S-OFF + Amon Ra 3.15 and all is working perfectly here.

The only thing that has never been on my phone is at any point yet HBOOT 2.21, so thats pretty much the only variable I see that could be messing **** up...

NAU420

Apr 8, 2012
Strange. I wonder why yours doesn't work..... :(

ENG HBOOT 2.11 + S-OFF + Amon Ra 3.15 and all is working perfectly here.

The only thing that has never been on my phone is at any point yet HBOOT 2.21, so thats pretty much the only variable I see that could be messing **** up...

I have not tried eng hboot yet or know if I can. Did you just flash the eng hboot over the ICS hboot 2.11?

jefffeely

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus, OH

I am having the same issue. AR does not know where sd-ext is.

*edit oops meant to say I'm on Juopnunbear with ICS firmware

It seems likely that this particular hboot changed mounts up a little.

Last edited:

Nevilshaze

Sep 16, 2010

Not sure if you have checked this or not but everytime I get this error when trying to make a backup its because my SD Card is full.

a.mcdear

May 20, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I have not tried eng hboot yet or know if I can. Did you just flash the eng hboot over the ICS hboot 2.11?

Yup just flashed it over. I've never installed the leak, so I've never updated past the 2.11 HBOOT which was that last official GB OTA.
It definitely does not work properly with the ICS radios though - well 3G works but 4G does not - so if you've installed HBOOT 2.21 and the latest ICS firmware, I'd recommend looking for the thread in the development section for the ENG HBOOT + GB Firmware. Seems to be working extremely well for me.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Yup just flashed it over. I've never installed the leak, so I've never updated past the 2.11 HBOOT which was that last official GB OTA.
It definitely does not work properly with the ICS radios though - well 3G works but 4G does not - so if you've installed HBOOT 2.21 and the latest ICS firmware, I'd recommend looking for the thread in the development section for the ENG HBOOT + GB Firmware. Seems to be working extremely well for me.

I flashed that combo too, and it seems to be the only stable verison. I did get the SD mounting issue once, so I flashed con's port recovery and played around with it, and then reflashed amon ra and the sd mounting issue was gone.

I was on the Hboot 2.21 firmware before s-off as well, and after s-off was on it, and recovery worked fine. I don't think the ICS leak or hboot has anything to do with this.

NAU420

Apr 8, 2012
Not sure if you have checked this or not but everytime I get this error when trying to make a backup its because my SD Card is full.

Yeah I checked with the phone and I have 28.6G of free space on the sd card.

I just read about the eng hboot and it seems you can not be on the ICS firmware and con gives a warning about flashing over ICS. I was looking at re-flashing the v.02 hboot to my phone. I know I have to rename it to PH98, just not sure what hboot controlbear. There is two hboot files, one is a zip and the other is a .img file. Not sure if it could work or not. I have read that other have flashed over the v.02 hboot file.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen a lot of folks having all kind of strange issues with AR recovery after s-off. Myself included. Most notably:

1) No being able to mount the SD card getting error:
    E: can't mount /dev/block/mmcblkp2 ( File exists )

2) unable to preform nandroid back up stating oops an error occurred, please check the log. well there is no log.

3) cant move the error log, gives another error.

After hours of trying to do everything under the sun, this is extremely frustrating; nothing works, but....

CWM touch. I can mount the SD card, and do nandroid back ups.

Is anyone else having issues with AR recovery?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLUTION FOR NANDROID backups and restores ONLY ( suggestion thanks to: a.mcdear & Mikej69 ; give credit where credit is due )

WARNING THIS WILL ERASE YOUR EXTERNAL SD MEMORY CARD
    Some steps can be omitted since I have CWM touch installed.

**An important note about CWM: For the Rezound there is a charging bug. This bug prevents the phone from charging if you happen to let the battery die. This happened to me and sux big time.**

OPTION 1

1) boot to hboot usb mode
    2) flash AR 3.15
    2a) ( option from scotty1223 ) within AR choose wipe sd card
    3) Reboot to your ROM
    4) Navigate under SETTINGS -> SD and phone storage
    5) Choose Unmount SD card
    6) Choose Erase card
    7) reboot into recovery and run your backups and restores; they should work

OPTION 2 usb mounting

Within AR recovery choose partition SD card with all default settings ( that resolved the error when mounting the SD card within AR recovery, however i cannot view the files on a PC when mounted in AR recovery still ). Others are claiming that it works, so i believe that, just me having issues.

If anyone needs AR 3.14, you can get it here

6/20/2012: below is a flashable via bootloader of the latest AR recovery 3.15
    For those of you whose SDCard work everywhere but in Amon Ra, try erasing the SD Card in Settings --> Storage --> Unmount SD Card --> Erase SD Card

That fixed the problem for me and I was able to create Nand backups in AR right afterwards.

If you have any data on your SD Card you will need to back it up before erasing.

Mike
    For those of you whose SDCard work everywhere but in Amon Ra, try erasing the SD Card in Settings --> Storage --> Unmount SD Card --> Erase SD Card

That fixed the problem for me and I was able to create Nand backups in AR right afterwards.

If you have any data on your SD Card you will need to back it up before erasing.

Mike

well! *smacks forehead* :D

i started to try and do this,with a lil twist. i stuck in the "blank,and freshly formatted in the pc,yet unmountable in recovery" sd card into the phone,and turned the phone on into fastboot. launched amon 3.14 into memory(have 3.15 on the phone) picked the option to wipe sd card,wich,oddly,it said was successful. went ahead and rebooted.

the phone had an sd with a question mark in the status bar and error message it was blank or of the wrong type and needed formatted,with a "format now?" prompt. so i formatted the card in the phone,immediately botoed to my allready installed 3.15,and lo and behold,the card mounted and i just got done making a backup.

last and not least,i also use the initial juopunutbear release,and wished id have been smart enuff to have stuck in a spare card instead... i somehow read right over the warning,despite having thot i read it carefully. :eek:

oh well,alls well that ends well,im glad neither my phone nor sd are effed :D
    It's under nandroid or nand on sd card

Sent from my Dinc... I mean Rezound
    Ok, so this actually got me to start my nandroid back up, and restore working successfully. I never tried this b/c i didn't think it made a difference to format in phone or PC....

The mount external card still gives me an error... Am i to assume that a change in AR needs to be made for this?

For those who wanted to know I used controlbear 1.0, I was NOT or ever been on the ics leak.

As for why when i used touch CWM and all worked, and didn't in AR, i do not understand, those were my findings.

I have also preferred AR over CWM here lately due to the charging bug i got nailed with this weekend too

If someone can confirm this, I will change the OP to include the solution.

I believe that the juopunutbear process actually formats the SDCARD at some point during the process, and I think it just does something weird to the partition if you manually formatted it as well.
    Of course without more specific info from the developers, I am just speculating, but it seems to me the only variable that makes sense. I've seen similar issues happen from time to time in similar circumstances, which is why it even came to my mind when I saw people posting of troubles.

As to why other recoveries still read the partition whereas AR did not? I don't know.. maybe different kernel, or different settings, or more strict adherence to formatting standards... I have no idea there either, too many variables to consider.