[Q] How to tighten the keyboard dock?

Search This thread

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi all,

I have been using my tf700 with the dock for more than a year now. I realize recently over time the connection between the dock and the tablet becomes rather loose and the tablet wobbles quite a bit back and forth (luckily everything is working properly). Since my tablet is out of warranty, I am thinking about fixing this myself, if possible. I know the issue of the dock becoming loose is quite common, but I have yet to see a DYI solution. Is this something I can fix myself?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Reactions: joulescba

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi all,

I have been using my tf700 with the dock for more than a year now. I realize recently over time the connection between the dock and the tablet becomes rather loose and the tablet wobbles quite a bit back and forth (luckily everything is working properly). Since my tablet is out of warranty, I am thinking about fixing this myself, if possible. I know the issue of the dock becoming loose is quite common, but I have yet to see a DYI solution. Is this something I can fix myself?

Check if the screws under the 2 feet next to the hinge have come loose?

Nico Stikker

Feb 8, 2014
On youtube I found this video describing the tear down of the dock.
Rats, I can't post a link yet. Well, search for 'Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime Dock Tear Down'
In the comments somebody is describing how to take the hinge apart.

The screws that you can see in the hinge (not the ones under the foam strip) might be worth tinkering with. The outer two seem to be sticking out a bit in my case. In fact they scrape my tablet a bit (two silver scratches just 2 cm outside the slots where the dock connects with the tablet). It might be that they could do with some tightening. Or perhaps by loosening them a bit more the fit gets more tight. I don't know, but worth trying, I think.

Reactions: huy_lonewolf

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Rats, I can't post a link yet. Well, search for 'Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime Dock Tear Down'

The screws that you can see in the hinge (not the ones under the foam strip) might be worth tinkering with. The outer two seem to be sticking out a bit in my case. In fact they scrape my tablet a bit (two silver scratches just 2 cm outside the slots where the dock connects with the tablet). It might be that they could do with some tightening. Or perhaps by loosening them a bit more the fit gets more tight. I don't know, but worth trying, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwAypkC26Cc

;)

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
Thanks all for your help. I guess I now have a new plan for this weekend lol.

I just did it myself with the help from the instructions HERE. 4 possibilities: (1) The screws holding the metal frame of the clamp to the bottom (inside); (2) the screws on the outside of the bottom that sdbags mentioned; (3) the screws along the rails inside the clamp (there are 4 on the bottom underneath the 2 plastic strips); (4) the 2 nuts at both ends of the metal frame of the clamp. I just re-tightened them all. No big deal, just be gentle with the plastic tab holding the keyboard and the bottom together. Have fun.

Reactions: huy_lonewolf

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore
I just did it myself with the help from the instructions HERE. 4 possibilities: (1) The screws holding the metal frame of the clamp to the bottom (inside); (2) the screws on the outside of the bottom that sdbags mentioned; (3) the screws along the rails inside the clamp (there are 4 on the bottom underneath the 2 plastic strips); (4) the 2 nuts at both ends of the metal frame of the clamp. I just re-tightened them all. No big deal, just be gentle with the plastic tab holding the keyboard and the bottom together. Have fun.

I did it. I followed the instructions and now the dock is like brand new. Thanks for your help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwAypkC26Cc

;)
    Hi all,

Thanks all for your help. I guess I now have a new plan for this weekend lol.