[Q] How to recover photos from memory stick?

Search This thread

mining

Aug 8, 2013
I accustomed to storing their audio or video file like photos into a mini memory stick. However, how can we recover them once lost? What can I do ? Any software like Power Data Recovery?? 3Q for your advice.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Wait, what does this have to do with Win8? I'm confused (or maybe you are)...

Assuming "memory stick" (whatever the <REDACTED> that is) exposes itself as a standard block-storage device, you can probably use whatever recovery tools you're used to... no guarantee they'll work, though.

cha91

Jan 25, 2011
Toulon
I've had a positive experience using MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
It worked wonders on a flash disk that apparently lost its data, but with this software I could recover most of them, although with very ugly file names.
There are 4 options which can be confusing but I've mostly used Digital Media Recovery and Undelete Recovery.

For non media files, the result wasn't so great but I recovered some files from an almost defective SD card.

Reactions: B@sti

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
yup, any recovery software will do, just defrag first before recovering for best result

Worst result dont you mean... Recovery software relies on the fact that when deleting a file it is simply removed from the file table but the data itself is still present. Defragging will move files around and will now believe where your file previously existed is now unallocated space and will happily over-write it. For recovery software to work at its best you need to ensure as few changes are made to the file system as physically possible.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
SixSixSevenSeven is correct. Leaving aside the fact that defragging a flash storage device (like a memory stick, SD card, SSD, CompactFlash, etc.) is a terrible idea in general*, it will drastically reduce your chances of being able to recover any data at all. If you have already done a defrag, the odds are very good that your data is now unrecoverable.

* Win7 and up know not to actually defrag Flash-based storage, but what they do instead - called TRIM, and intended to optimize the storage - is almost as bad for purposes of data recovery. TRIM tells the "disk" that the physical memory cells which were storing the data of deleted files are no longer needed, which typically has the effect of zeroing the data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had a positive experience using MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
    It worked wonders on a flash disk that apparently lost its data, but with this software I could recover most of them, although with very ugly file names.
    There are 4 options which can be confusing but I've mostly used Digital Media Recovery and Undelete Recovery.

For non media files, the result wasn't so great but I recovered some files from an almost defective SD card.