"Show low low battery logo" Nexus 7 thinks battery is dead even when fully charged!

Search This thread

dbstrat

Jul 26, 2012
"Show low low battery logo" Nexus 7 thinks battery is dead even when fully charged!

I have already got a replacement on order from the Play Store but since I haven't seen any reports on this after plenty of searching I figured I'd describe the issue.

My 16gb Nexus 7 worked pretty much flawlessly for the first several days of pretty light use minus very minimal flicker on occasion. As of two days ago the unit is basically unusable as it randomly but excessively decides that the battery is dead even though it is fully charged. The first several times this happened I wasn't paying attention and I thought it just shut off by itself, but then I started to watch it more closely but it also started happening more and more. As of this morning it will not stay on more than 5 minutes before it audibly notifies a low battery with the messages "Connect Charger" and "Powering down". Sometimes it will give two options "Battery" and "OK" but I was never able to actually get the buttons to respond because it would already be shutting down. Other times it will just show the connect charger and powering down messages with no buttons which is strange, but in either case the device shuts down.

Once I started troubleshooting I figured out a little more information.
  • Watching the lock screen while it is charging I will see it go from it's (I think) correct charge percent to 0% randomly.
  • While not charging it will either show a red battery indicator in the notification area or just an empty battery when it decides to shut down
  • Sometimes it will boot right up and be back up to regular charge level (of course just to shut down again within a few minutes)
  • Other times it will not boot up and I noticed the error message (almost like a debug prompt mistakenly left in the code) in the upper left corner "Show low low battery logo" + some strange symbol like when you get 100 1-Ups in Super Mario Brothers :). Yes the message has the word "low" twice - I guess this is lower than standard low!

Anyway, kinda bummed but since I have not seen any other report of this particular issue I'm hopeful that the replacement will not have the same problem. I'm just hoping I don't get a unit that has some of the other problems being reported so I'm crossing my fingers.

omnikai

Mar 3, 2010
This sounds pretty similar to my problem from another thread. Every time it hits 25% while discharging it dies. Normally I'd say it's just a software calibration issue and fixable by wiping battery stats, but I've wiped several times at 100% and run down to 25% and it still dies.

Do you find that you still get a normal amount of battery life before it dies? It'd help to establish whether this is the battery misreporting, or actually not discharging properly.

* Strangely this time after my N7 had died at 25% I turned it on and it's at 0% battery. It's been charging for ~15min and it still says 0%... When you all first got the device, did you let it run to 0%, or did you charge it right away?

** And now, after almost an hour, it's at 1%. Seems to be charging, but brutally slowly (and I'm using the bundled charger, not PC USB).

Last edited:

dbstrat

Jul 26, 2012
This sounds pretty similar to my problem from another thread. Every time it hits 25% while discharging it dies. Normally I'd say it's just a software calibration issue and fixable by wiping battery stats, but I've wiped several times at 100% and run down to 25% and it still dies.

Do you find that you still get a normal amount of battery life before it dies? It'd help to establish whether this is the battery misreporting, or actually not discharging properly.

* Strangely this time after my N7 had died at 25% I turned it on and it's at 0% battery. It's been charging for ~15min and it still says 0%... When you all first got the device, did you let it run to 0%, or did you charge it right away?

** And now, after almost an hour, it's at 1%. Seems to be charging, but brutally slowly (and I'm using the bundled charger, not PC USB).

Yours sounds like a similar but different issue. My N7 dies regardless of how much charge it has. It can have 100% charge and within 5 minutes it will report 0% charge and die. Then when I can get it to boot again it will be back up to 99% charge again. I can't get more than 10 minutes of use before it dies regardless of how much charge it truly has.

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast

I'm starting to have this same issue, however mine goes at about 19%. Just turns off. I have also seen the show low battery in white text thing. I have tried calibrating by fully charging then deleting batterystats.bin from data/system and letting it decharge and it still died around there, I'm recharging again to 100 to see what happens this next time I let it go... thought mine was issue free than this happens

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
Well in case anyone else runs into this, I have no idea what caused this or how I got out of it thinking it was dead at 20%. I tried deleting the stats, reflashed stock and then CM10 and back again, tried a different kernel, and still died at 20 and gave me the "low low battery logo".

I just took it into Gamestop where I got it and started the process for an exchange, so I have another one coming now. Go figure when I got home I plugged it back in, and now this time just like omnikai said instead of being at 20% it was at 0 when I turned it on. Been a while and now and seems to be charging normally so hopefully it will decharge fine.. either way really weird only problem I've had with mine so far

** Just wanted to edit and say its now decharging normally dont know what caused it to spazz out or fix it one of those ghost in the machine android moments

Last edited:

dbstrat

Jul 26, 2012
Well in case anyone else runs into this, I have no idea what caused this or how I got out of it thinking it was dead at 20%. I tried deleting the stats, reflashed stock and then CM10 and back again, tried a different kernel, and still died at 20 and gave me the "low low battery logo".

I just took it into Gamestop where I got it and started the process for an exchange, so I have another one coming now. Go figure when I got home I plugged it back in, and now this time just like omnikai said instead of being at 20% it was at 0 when I turned it on. Been a while and now and seems to be charging normally so hopefully it will decharge fine.. either way really weird only problem I've had with mine so far

Replacement N7 seems to be fine thusfar...

johnzm

Dec 14, 2009
if anyone else gets this, try disconnecting the battery and then re connect and see if that fixes it. i had same type of issue on viewsonic g-tab and that was the required fix.

egomezmorales

Oct 3, 2007
Carolina
Mine did it at 10%, calibrated the battery and im getting truly awesome battery life 2 full days without a charge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

This is the app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration

You need to be rooted

Reactions: MrSchroeder

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Mine did it at 10%, calibrated the battery and im getting truly awesome battery life 2 full days without a charge

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

This is the app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration

You need to be rooted

While this reply is late to the game, it needs to be pointed out that such apps are 100% snake oil and do not calibrate the battery. They are based upon gross misinformation and any dev that tells you that clearing batterystats.bin has any effect on battery life or reported battery charge clearly doesn't know how Android works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AdamK123

Jul 17, 2012
I had been having the same problems that everyone described: would suddenly die at 25% and wouldn't turn back on unless I gave it a charge for a bit and then held the power button down for a while.

For the last 2 weeks, I've been charging it only with the stock charger and that seems to have fixed it. Previously I would charge with any charger I had around.

Not sure if it's a permanent fix but it's working now (I've taken it down to 4% before charging it back up).

noisetty13

Nov 14, 2012
I had been having the same problems that everyone described: would suddenly die at 25% and wouldn't turn back on unless I gave it a charge for a bit and then held the power button down for a while.

For the last 2 weeks, I've been charging it only with the stock charger and that seems to have fixed it. Previously I would charge with any charger I had around.

Not sure if it's a permanent fix but it's working now (I've taken it down to 4% before charging it back up).

I only use the stock charger on mine but after this happened so often I tried another one and battery charged OK but then kept blipping from say 50% to 54%, went bed with it at 49% and this morning dead again. Charged it again today on stock charger and waiting to see what happens.

xilefian

Jan 3, 2012
London
Sorry all for this bump.

I just got this same issue tonight on stock, unrooted nexus 7 16gb and I only use the stock charger, I let it die through battery and then when I charged it amend turned it on, all these problems happened.

One symptom that hasn't been mentioned is that the clock is set back to January 1st 1am.

I managed to get it to start without turning off by holding the power button until the Google logo showed twice, at the moment it's on but charging.

Hope this doesn't become a problem again in the future.

rockstang

Jun 10, 2012

** Just wanted to edit and say its now decharging normally dont know what caused it to spazz out or fix it one of those ghost in the machine android moments

I am currently having the 20% problem. Did your tablet reaminworking normally since the self correction?

ArjBasu

Jan 16, 2013
Kolkata
A Probable solution to the nexus 7 dying at 15% + charge

I have already got a replacement on order from the Play Store but since I haven't seen any reports on this after plenty of searching I figured I'd describe the issue.

My 16gb Nexus 7 worked pretty much flawlessly for the first several days of pretty light use minus very minimal flicker on occasion. As of two days ago the unit is basically unusable as it randomly but excessively decides that the battery is dead even though it is fully charged. The first several times this happened I wasn't paying attention and I thought it just shut off by itself, but then I started to watch it more closely but it also started happening more and more. As of this morning it will not stay on more than 5 minutes before it audibly notifies a low battery with the messages "Connect Charger" and "Powering down". Sometimes it will give two options "Battery" and "OK" but I was never able to actually get the buttons to respond because it would already be shutting down. Other times it will just show the connect charger and powering down messages with no buttons which is strange, but in either case the device shuts down.

Once I started troubleshooting I figured out a little more information.
  • Watching the lock screen while it is charging I will see it go from it's (I think) correct charge percent to 0% randomly.
  • While not charging it will either show a red battery indicator in the notification area or just an empty battery when it decides to shut down
  • Sometimes it will boot right up and be back up to regular charge level (of course just to shut down again within a few minutes)
  • Other times it will not boot up and I noticed the error message (almost like a debug prompt mistakenly left in the code) in the upper left corner "Show low low battery logo" + some strange symbol like when you get 100 1-Ups in Super Mario Brothers :). Yes the message has the word "low" twice - I guess this is lower than standard low!

Anyway, kinda bummed but since I have not seen any other report of this particular issue I'm hopeful that the replacement will not have the same problem. I'm just hoping I don't get a unit that has some of the other problems being reported so I'm crossing my fingers.

I recently started having the same problem with my 2 month old rooted Nexus 7 (wifi only) . It was dying at about 19% - 23% charge . Tried doing the battery recallibration at 100% charge, even wiped the device clean and flashed the Jellybean 4.2 factory image but it didn't work.

I talked with the ASUS service center guys to get it fixed, and created a sort of guest user so that I won't have to disconnect my accounts. After that my problem seems to have been fixed. I discharged it to about 4% and then put it to charge, it's charging properly now so I am hoping the problem has been fixed.

I am not sure whether this would work for everybody, but I guess it's worth a try.

Top Liked Posts