Printing from the Infinity (and Android in general)

Search This thread

georgiejr

Dec 15, 2006
Has anybody tried to print using a print server? I am using the Trendnet Print server where my usb Epson printer is connected to.

Any advise will be surely appreciated.

espanola

May 2, 2007
Have anybody tried StarPrint?
This is new app and seems they also provide with printing sdk for developers.

ostar2

Nov 22, 2012
What about using an E-Printer/Wireless-Printer? I have one of these at home.

ostar2

Nov 22, 2012
Are you talking about just a normal HP ePrinter? That's the exact thing covered in the OP. Take a look at the HP application listed there or one of the other 3rd party printing apps that isn't OEM.

Oh, then what about using a USB chord and the third party app? That should eliminate any connectivity problems.

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
I am running CROMI 3.2.2 custom rom on my Infinity. I updated my HPePrint app to the 2.1.1 version and now it does not see my external sd card. Does any have or know where I can get the original app or a different app that will work with (sees the external card) the Infinity and my HP 6400 jet printer?

incarceration

Aug 12, 2011
What about a HP Laserjet CP1518ni network printer?

Printbot seems to work O.K for it but it's not very userfriend and doesn't offer many options at all lol

Do you know of any alternatives?

ljg600

Jan 21, 2013
Viewsonic Gtab for Dummies was my Bible when I was as rooting my Gtab.It was my first experience with android and your site was a blessing. I am not sure I understand what you mean by usb printing?

While I was not the original poster- PrinterShare is an Android app that supports direct printing from the TF700 keyboard USB port.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
[QUOTE38103046]While I was not the original poster- PrinterShare is an Android app that supports direct printing from the TF700 keyboard USB port.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]

I now understand. He was talking about wired (usb) printing and my mind was only focused on wireless.

Toastysoul

Aug 28, 2012
I have printer share premium. While they claim to support direct printing to my printer, Canon 6120, the app has never been able to detect the printer. It's networked, so every windows based device can see it and print to it, even wirelessly via my laptop. I have contacted them about this issue, and although they responded, it remains unresolved. I am able to get it to find the printer once a computer on my network is running their windows client, but I dislike this solution as it requires a constantly running PC. The Canon app just fails entirely. Printer Share was having an issue substituting wrong characters in, and printing PDFs at the wrong size, but after reporting this to them, they updated the program and it doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

Reactions: Splaktar

Cleanskinned

Dec 14, 2011
I have tried PrinterShare and it does not recognize my networked Canon MX870 multi-function printer. My question is why doesn't Google choose to make printing integrated into their OS design? It is one of my most compelling reasons to switch over to Microsoft based tablets.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have tried PrinterShare and it does not recognize my networked Canon MX870 multi-function printer. My question is why doesn't Google choose to make printing integrated into their OS design? It is one of my most compelling reasons to switch over to Microsoft based tablets.

Really? My microsoft surfacr RT does not recognise either of my printers at home, through usb or network... And microsoft do not allow unsigned driver installations on windows 8 and epson and HO have said they will not provide driver support. Printer share works flawlessly with both.

Android is still miles ahead right now.

Reactions: Splaktar

Cleanskinned

Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for the clarification. I had incorrectly assumed Windows 8 tablets would include the same driver support as their notebook/desktop counterparts. I wonder if the Surface Pro tablets allow Win 8 drivers from Canon, Epson, Brother, etc to be installed. It is frustrating that I cannot get my MX870 printer to be recognized by Printershare as it is a relatively recent wifi printer.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks for the clarification. I had incorrectly assumed Windows 8 tablets would include the same driver support as their notebook/desktop counterparts. I wonder if the Surface Pro tablets allow Win 8 drivers from Canon, Epson, Brother, etc to be installed. It is frustrating that I cannot get my MX870 printer to be recognized by Printershare as it is a relatively recent wifi printer.

Yes Windows 8 pro supports driver updates. Windows RT does not.

im looking a printer wich quite small, because i have quite big movement
its good if i able to use usb cable to print
any advice for printer and apps?

Most printers offer Wifi now which is fairly easy to set up. Not sure if USB printing is fully supported but most routers allow you to plug in a usb printer and wirelssly print that way.

parwathy

Sep 6, 2010
I use printershare with my Canon ip4500 printer, via USB. It's working so far, tried to print pdfs only though, so couln't tell you guys how the app is behaving with web pages etc.

Reactions: dimqs153

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking at using the Infinity as a replacement for a laptop/netbook for some of my less tech savvy family members. One of the primary considerations is that they still need to be able to easily print and scan documents. This was a major concern, so I've done some research on the topic that I wanted to share here.

The first app that I looked at was PrinterShare - 3.7 stars:

I was able to get the app working by installing the PrinterShare Windows application on my desktop and using that to share the printer remotely (over the internet) and via WiFi (via Apple's Bonjour service that they include). Google Cloud Print support. There is a limit of printing something like 20 pages per doc unless you pay $12.95 for the Premium Key. App updated in May 2013.

So I took a look at Epson's Iprint - 4.0 stars
    Epson supports a wide range of printers, but they are all still either network or WiFi printers:

Code:
    Printers Supported

Artisan 700
    Artisan 710
    Artisan 725
    Artisan 730
    Artisan 800
    Artisan 810
    Artisan 835
    Artisan 837
    Artisan 1430

Epson Stylus NX420
    Epson Stylus NX430
    Epson Stylus NX510
    Epson Stylus NX515
    Epson Stylus NX530
    Epson Stylus NX625
    Epson Stylus NX635

WorkForce 323
    WorkForce 325
    WorkForce 435
    WorkForce 520
    WorkForce 545
    WorkForce 600
    WorkForce 610
    WorkForce 615
    WorkForce 625
    WorkForce 630
    WorkForce 633
    WorkForce 635
    WorkForce 645
    WorkForce 840
    WorkForce 845
    WorkForce 7510
    WorkForce 7520

Epson Stylus Office BX305FW
    Epson Stylus Office BX310FN
    Epson Stylus Office BX525WD
    Epson Stylus Office BX535WD
    Epson Stylus Office BX600FW
    Epson Stylus Office BX610FW
    Epson Stylus Office BX625FWD
    Epson Stylus Office BX630FW
    Epson Stylus Office BX635FWD
    Epson Stylus Office BX935FWD
    Epson Stylus Office TX510FN
    Epson Stylus Office TX600FW
    Epson Stylus Office TX610FW

Epson Stylus Photo PX700W
    Epson Stylus Photo PX710W
    Epson Stylus Photo PX720WD
    Epson Stylus Photo PX730WD
    Epson Stylus Photo PX800FW
    Epson Stylus Photo PX810FW
    Epson Stylus Photo PX820FWD
    Epson Stylus Photo PX830FWD
    Epson Stylus Photo TX700W
    Epson Stylus Photo TX800FW

Epson Stylus Photo R2000
    Epson Stylus Photo R3000

Epson Stylus SX235W
    Epson Stylus SX420W
    Epson Stylus SX425W
    Epson Stylus SX430W/SX435W
    Epson Stylus SX440W/SX445W
    Epson Stylus SX510W
    Epson Stylus SX515W
    Epson Stylus SX525WD
    Epson Stylus SX535WD
    Epson Stylus SX600FW
    Epson Stylus SX610FW
    Epson Stylus SX620FW

Epson Stylus TX420W
    Epson Stylus TX550W

WorkForce Pro WP-4010
    WorkForce Pro WP-4020
    WorkForce Pro WP-4023
    WorkForce Pro WP-4530
    WorkForce Pro WP-4533
    WorkForce Pro WP-4540
    WorkForce Pro 4015DN
    WorkForce Pro 4025DW
    WorkForce Pro 4515DN
    WorkForce Pro 4525DNF
    WorkForce Pro 4535DWF
    WorkForce Pro 4545DTWF
    WorkForce Pro 4090
    WorkForce Pro 4095
    WorkForce Pro 4540
    WorkForce Pro 4595

ME OFFICE 900WD
    ME OFFICE 960FWD

The iPrint app on Android appears to support a far wider range of options and services. Box, Dropbox, Evernote and Google Docs are supported. Word, Excel, PDF, photos, scanning etc are all supported. It also explicitly states support for printing web pages directly from any browser.

Based on reviews, it appears that there are still some bugs to sort out with the app, but overall users are happier with printing from Android on Epson printers than Canon. Update added remote printing. App updated in April 2013..

Canon Easy-PhotoPrint- 3.3 stars:

I've been a big user of Canon products with the last 10+ years and have had relatively good luck with a number of their printers and cameras. Here is a list of Canon's supported printers:

Compatible models
    PIXMA MG6300 Series, PIXMA MG5400 Series, PIXMA MG4200 Series, PIXMA MG3200 Series, PIXMA iP7200 Series, PIXMA PRO-10, PIXMA PRO-100, PIXMA MX890 Series, PIXMA MX710 Series, PIXMA MX510 Series, PIXMA MX430 Series, PIXMA MG8200 Series, PIXMA MG6200 Series, PIXMA MG5300 Series, PIXMA MG4100 Series, PIXMA MG3100 Series, PIXMA MX880 Series, PIXMA MX420 Series, PIXMA MX410 Series, PIXMA MG8100 Series, PIXMA MG6100 Series, PIXMA MG5200 Series, PIXMA MP495/MP499, PIXMA MX870 Series, PIXMA MX350 Series, PIXMA MX340 Series, PIXMA MP990 Series, PIXMA MP640 Series and PIXMA MP560 Series

Some of the app reviews hit on some important points. This canon app does not appear to support Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc. It also appears that you cannot print web pages or files from the app. It will only print photos or PDF files scanned from the printer. There are a number of reports of users returning Canon printers due to their poor Android app and buying printers from OEMs with better Android app support. App updated December 2012.

So those are only 3 of the many options out there atm. There are apparently a number of other options including:

Cloud Print - 4.6 stars - Does appear to be similar to PrinterShare in that it requires a PC with a Windows service running. But it appears to support a number of languages if that's important to you. Share to app print support. Updated added ability to print Facebook photos and Dropbox and Box support. App updated in February 2013.

PrintHand Mobile Print - 4.0 stars - WiFi and Bluetooth printing. $9.95 Pro version via in app purchase. Free version only prints test pages. You can print Office documents (DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF, TXT), Images and photos, Emails and attachments, Web pages, Calendar, call log, text messages, Google Drive docs, Content from many other apps via Share to app, Facebook albums, Files from Box. Mac and Windows shared printer support. USB wired print support. Google Cloud Print. Update added support for more Epson and Kodak printers and bug fixes. App updated in May 2013.

Samsung Mobile Print - 4.0 stars - Prints photos, documents, Gmail attachments, and web pages. Scans. Supports only Google Drive for cloud. Supports only their network or WiFi printers, or printers shared via Windows PC. Updated with support for most all laser printers, new UI refresh, landscape mode for tablets, scanner support, fax support. App updated in February 2013.

HP ePrint Home & Biz - 4.0 stars - Prints Word, Excel, Powerpoint, photos, PDF and text files. Supports network and WiFi printers and shared printers from a Windows PC. Does not appear to support Google Drive, Box, DropBox, etc. Update added Jelly Bean support and web page printing. App updated in March 2013.

Cortado Workplace - 3.6 stars - Bluetooth Wifi, and shared printer support. Some sort of cloud printing support (does not specify Google or not). Email attachment print support. Update added ICS support and test page printing. App updated in April 2013.

Let's Print Droid - 3.3 stars - Google Cloud Print support. Can print PDFs, JPG, PNG images, Text Documents and static web pages. Share to app print support. Enterprise printer support. Update removed email print support due to bugs. App updated in April 2013.

Finally, I was most happy with the reviews and support from the Epson app. I've had one Epson printer in the past and it seemed to work fine enough. So I took a look at the prices on some of the supported printers. They range from about $80-140 on the low end and go up beyond $200 for the latest models. I found a number of used network printers online for around $45-70 as well.

I'm not too excited about replacing at least 2 of the family's printers just to support Android/Infinity printing, but the price does not seem to be too much of a problem. So this doesn't look like it will be a major barrier to me, but it will be a bit of trouble, re-training, and expense.
    member since 2010 and only 2 posts, this is incredible

LOL

Are you trying to provoke me? I'm not sure I understand the purpose of your post other than increasing your post count.

From what I've read of your posts, you offer little more than wild speculation and random banter. Not all of us find it necessary to run our mouths inexplicably. Like most other people on this forum, I'll contribute when I actually have something to say.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
    FYI............... seems HP latest "UPDATE to the WIRELESS PRINTING to any HP printer that has 'wireless capability' has been "updated to STOP THIS FEATURE!!!!

Seems weird that a MAJOR company wants to force users to "connect" those old printers to interenet , thus making them able to print via the new new HP feature called " web printing...................

seems stupid to make those good 'older' solutions STOP or BAR them from working to push pple to newer 'solutions' which often dont work
    ie , if your net conenctions go down = you cannot PRINT !!!!

so so weird ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that some crazy person decided to BAR / STOP users from using their HARDWARE

((( so anyone who has the Older version of iprint for HP ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dont UPDATE IT ( dont install updates from gplay store - it will work as before)))

>> just thought to post this tip here >... sorry to be a bit off topic !!

Whoa, I feel like I just read a Telegram :D

I would just like to say that PrintHand is 1/3 the price ($4.95 vs $12.95) of PrinterShare, does everything PrinterShare can do (wifi, bt, cloud) AND offers the option to connect to printers via USB for those that do not have a wireless or LAN printer available.

BTW, I am not affiliated with PrintHand in any way, I just researched/tried several printing options and while PrinterShare is totally functional it is overpriced.

If there are reasons to avoid PrintHand (i.e. privacy issues) please say so as this is a deal breaker for me.
    Printer share works with every app have thrown at it. It has its own GUI to access emails etc and it can use the share functionality.