Please help! Kindle Fire 1st Generation Stuck at bootup with stock SW

Search This thread

applegd

Mar 2, 2008
I think my kindle is soft bricked for now, any help will be greatly appreaciated.

[Symptom]
(1) Everything was not changed on this 1st Gen Kindle Fire(KF) belongs to my daughter.
(2) KF was shut down as usual but could not boot up about 1 day ago.
(3) Kindle Fire logo flashes and goes dim after being brightly lit for a few seconds, then entered a endless loop which could not get out. It seems my device is trying to boot normally to a malfunctioning operating system.
(4) Press power button for more than 20 second to shutdown then press again quickly to power up, still stuck.

[My Troubleshooting as homework]
STEP 1. I read a lot posts and tried a lot things except the commands to deal with partitions which looks too dangerous to me for now. I will try if I have to do it later.
STEP 2. I tried the USB driver comes with Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 but it is not working well on my Win 7 Professional 64 bit OS Home PC, so I ended up installed official Kindle USB driver from amazon.
STEP 3. Some check ups done.
(1) After I installed Amazon USB driver for kindle, Kindle Fire Utility(KFU) 0.9.9 showed ADB Status=Online, Boot Status=4000 via executing run.bat.
(2) I tried to Activating Recovery Mode 5001 in KFU, I got message: "The system cannot find the drive specified, 3801KB/s(510876 bytes in 0.131s) The Kindle has been told to reboot in Recovery Mode" . I notices the Kindle really rebooted after this operation although it said cannot find the specified drive. But if I do Recheck Device Status, it is always shows ADB Status=Online, Boot Status=4000.
(3) I went to Win 7 Device Management, I can see Kindle Fire/Android Composite ADB Interface" is listed and driver is working state. Also I can see one more item as Portable Devices/M:. The properties of Disk M showed the device is working properly.
(4) Win 7 Disk Management windows showed Disk M as No Media, capacity=0MB, Unallocated Space=0MB, Reserved Space=0MB.
(5) Tried some commands:

I am using the stock bootloader (plain "kindle fire" boot logo), the fastboot command must always specify the custom vendor ID used by the Kindle Fire.

C:\Users\ADMIN\Desktop\Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9\tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
< waiting for device >
Stuck here forever.

C:\Users\ADMIN\Desktop\Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9\tools>fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
<Empty, No Info is Returned>

C:\Users\ADMIN\Desktop\Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
2474000600000001 device

(6) I also tried following procedure described in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1660636 but nothing helped.

1. Turn off the device.
2. Plug the device into USB to your computer. This should turn the device on.
3. Delete the ".android" folder from your Windows profile. This is very important. If you just uninstall the device and driver, Windows will still use this to reinstall the device. You want to start as fresh as possible to eliminate complications from previous attempts.
4. Uninstall it from Device Manager. Make certain to check the box to uninstall the driver as well.
5. Start a new scan for hardware changes in the Device Manager.
6. As mine was stuck in fastboot mode, it recognized the device as "kindle" (lower-case "k")
7. Run the "install_driver.bat" from the Kindle Fire Utility.
8. After driver install, run the Kindle Fire Utility.
9. ADB status will say "offline", that's fine.
10. Choose option 1 to go into the Bootmode Menu.
11. Choose option 1 to boot into Normal Mode.
12. It will be stuck at <waiting for device>.
13. Turn off the device, keeping it plugged into the PC. *very important* This step was one among others that made THE difference for me.
14. Turn on the device. *Hopefully*, you should immediately see the utility spit out some text and your device should reboot.
15. Boots up!! (well, mine did, and I had almost give up hope were it not for my pride and stubbornness).

[ Action Items as Next Step ]
(1) I will keep reading the posts to see whether I can find anything useful.
(2) I guess I might have to make a factory cable...
(3) Hope the 8g storage chip is not damaged by itself...

If you have any advice, please help, Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.status.png
    1.status.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 2.CannotFindDrive.png
    2.CannotFindDrive.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 3.DeviceMgr.png
    3.DeviceMgr.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 5.DiskMgr.png
    5.DiskMgr.png
    99 KB · Views: 162

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Feedback

Thanks! Stock Kindle Fire without fff,custom recovery/rom.

Ok we need to start over... Unplug your tablet from your PC.. Than uninstall everything specific to your tablet drivers utilities, all of it....

Than go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979 and get this and install it just like they say to.....

Than go get http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192818 Let me know when your done with that... Don't get ahead of me, PLZ

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Just to clarify you cannot boot into rom correct??

applegd

Mar 2, 2008
STEP 1. Ok we need to start over... Unplug your tablet from your PC.. Than uninstall everything specific to your tablet drivers utilities, all of it....

STEP 2.Than go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979 and get this and install it just like they say to.....

STEP 3. Than go get http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192818 Let me know when your done with that... Don't get ahead of me, PLZ

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Just to clarify you cannot boot into rom correct??

Thanks very much for your help!! Really appreciate!

I finished STEP 1 and STEP 2, step-by-step screenshots are attached.

For STEP 2, it has step-by-step guide howto_driver.zip, but my steps looks little bit different, I have to pick Andriod Phone instead of Android Device to proceed, detail is shown in my attached screenshots 11.png and 12.png. Is this normal for my case Win7 64bit?

For Step 3, I downloaded Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9.zip without doing anything further yet. Do I need to run install_drivers.bat? I guess the answer is No. Sorry for stupid question.

Attachments

• KindleTroubleshootingStep6-19.rar
    1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Thanks very much for your help!! Really appreciate!

I finished STEP 1 and STEP 2, step-by-step screenshots are attached.

For STEP 2, it has step-by-step guide howto_driver.zip, but my steps looks little bit different, I have to pick Andriod Phone instead of Android Device to proceed, detail is shown in my attached screenshots 11.png and 12.png. Is this normal for my case Win7 64bit?

For Step 3, I downloaded Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9.zip without doing anything further yet. Do I need to run install_drivers.bat? I guess the answer is No. Sorry for stupid question.

Now you can boot into stock rom yes??

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Now attach Video file to show what is exactly happening on my kindle.

Ok open up the KFU as admin once its opened with the tablet on that boot screen plug it into your PC than there should be a refresh boot status
on your KFU select it once plugged in and see if it will but your tablet into

adb status: online
boot status: 400

Let see if it will do it... Let me know

applegd

Mar 2, 2008
Ok open up the KFU as admin once its opened with the tablet on that boot screen plug it into your PC than there should be a refresh boot status
on your KFU select it once plugged in and see if it will but your tablet into

adb status: online
boot status: 400

Let see if it will do it... Let me know

In KFU
----------
Before I connect Kindle to PC:

ADB Status: Offline
Boot Status: Unkown

After I connect Kindle to PC:
ADB Status: Online
Boot Status: 4000

Last edited:

applegd

Mar 2, 2008
Install firefirefire

Than twrp

Than boot to bootloader

Than enter recovery

Let me know if you have any questions along the way and let me know when its done and your in recovery

Hit problem when installing FFF. Here is the log.

* FireFireFire Installer *

fff.bin is missing.
So we will download it for you!

--2014-02-16 12:51:32-- http://random.kennocha.com/kindle/firefirefire/fff-u-boot_v1.4a.bin
Resolving random.kennocha.com... 108.61.31.94
Connecting to random.kennocha.com|108.61.31.94|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 249532 (244K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `recovery/fff.bin'

100%[==============================================================================================================================================================>] 249,532 --.-K/s in 0.1s

2014-02-16 12:51:32 (1.68 MB/s) - `recovery/fff.bin' saved [249532/249532]

Download successful.

* NOTICE *

Installing FireFireFire...
* Activating Fastboot (4002) *

3641 KB/s (510876 bytes in 0.137s)

The kindle has been told to reboot in Fastboot Mode.

< waiting for device >

Note 1: I heard the sound from my PC speaker for disconnecting the kindle , then one more sound for connecting the kindle.
Note 2: Stuck Here <Waiting for device>forever.

I checked Win7 Device Manager, it shows the kindle as Unknown Device. Attached is the screenshot.

Should I update driver for this unknown device then pick "Android ADB Interface" as Kindle should be in Fastboot mode(4002)?

Last edited:

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Hit problem when installing FFF. Here is the log.

* FireFireFire Installer *

fff.bin is missing.
So we will download it for you!

--2014-02-16 12:51:32-- http://random.kennocha.com/kindle/firefirefire/fff-u-boot_v1.4a.bin
Resolving random.kennocha.com... 108.61.31.94
Connecting to random.kennocha.com|108.61.31.94|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 249532 (244K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `recovery/fff.bin'

100%[==============================================================================================================================================================>] 249,532 --.-K/s in 0.1s

2014-02-16 12:51:32 (1.68 MB/s) - `recovery/fff.bin' saved [249532/249532]

Download successful.

* NOTICE *

Installing FireFireFire...
* Activating Fastboot (4002) *

3641 KB/s (510876 bytes in 0.137s)

The kindle has been told to reboot in Fastboot Mode.

< waiting for device >

Note: Stuck Here forever.

I checked Win7 Device Manager, it shows the kindle as Unknown Device. Attached is the screenshot.

Should I update driver for this unknown device then pick "Android ADB Interface" as Kindle is in Fastboot mode(4002)?

Yes!!! Do that !!!

applegd

Mar 2, 2008

Done.

Found one thing interesting, when I was updating driver, I picked "Adroid ADB Interface" for 100% sure, the driver install finished (There is a error message window pop up saying device driver is not installed properly then it disappeared by itself), but couple seconds later, in Win7 Device Manager, it shows up as "Android Composite ADB Interface" with working state. Attached screenshot. Is this normal?

Anyway, FFF seems to be installed successfully. Attached screenshot.

Attachments

• 23.InstallADBdriver.png
    23.InstallADBdriver.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Done.

Found one thing interesting, when I was updating driver, I picked "Adroid ADB Interface" for 100% sure, the driver install finished (There is a error message window pop up saying device driver is not installed properly then it disappeared by itself), but couple seconds later, in Win7 Device Manager, it shows up as "Android Composite ADB Interface" with working state. Attached screenshot. Is this normal?

Anyway, FFF seems to be installed successfully. Attached screenshot.

YES!!!!!!

Now TWRP

Than boot into your bootloader and enter recovery....

Let me know.....

applegd

Mar 2, 2008
Now TWRP is installed successfully.

Want to ask one stupid question. How to boot into bootloader and enter recovery? Pick option 1 for Bootmode Menu then 3 for Recovery (5001)?

The option I have now:

1 Bootmode Menu
2 Install Permanent Root with Superuser
3 Install Latest TWRP Recovery
4 Install latest COTR Recovery
5 Install Latest FireFireFire
6 Extras (Requires Root)
7 Dual-Boot Kindle Fire (You MUST already have TWRP + FFF installed)
0 Recheck Device Status

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Now TWRP is installed successfully.

Want to ask one stupid question. How to boot into bootloader and enter recovery? Pick option 1 for Bootmode Menu then 3 for Recovery (5001)?

The option I have now:

1 Bootmode Menu
2 Install Permanent Root with Superuser
3 Install Latest TWRP Recovery
4 Install latest COTR Recovery
5 Install Latest FireFireFire
6 Extras (Requires Root)
7 Dual-Boot Kindle Fire (You MUST already have TWRP + FFF installed)
0 Recheck Device Status

Give me once sec!!! Sorry my daughter just got home!!!!

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Reactions: applegd

applegd

Mar 2, 2008

Top Liked Posts