Is it normal for WiFi to be taking this much power?

Search This thread

xprnv

Mar 22, 2013
Comparing to my other phone the percentage of battery usage my WiFi seems pretty high. WiFi optimisation is on and the phone is almost always connected to WiFi

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1395747702955.jpg
    1395747702955.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 663

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
Comparing to my other phone the percentage of battery usage my WiFi seems pretty high. WiFi optimisation is on and the phone is almost always connected to WiFi

it depends i will have to look at my phone when my wife gets home with it.

but if you leave WiFi on all the time even when you leave your routers distance and WiFi is trying to find a wireless network a lot then yes i would expect it to be high because it is contently searching for a network. but if you turn it off when you leave your WiFi network then it maybe kinda high.

xprnv

Mar 22, 2013
it depends i will have to look at my phone when my wife gets home with it.

but if you leave WiFi on all the time even when you leave your routers distance and WiFi is trying to find a wireless network a lot then yes i would expect it to be high because it is contently searching for a network. but if you turn it off when you leave your WiFi network then it maybe kinda high.

The screenshot is from today, it has been on constant home WiFi the whole day. Right now when I checked again 22% of battery is left with WiFi usage accumulating to the same 16%.

On my mom's moto g the WiFi usage is always around 5%. Around the same usage.

D

Darth

The screenshot is from today, it has been on constant home WiFi the whole day. Right now when I checked again 22% of battery is left with WiFi usage accumulating to the same 16%.

On my mom's moto g the WiFi usage is always around 5%. Around the same usage.

Not that it seems too bad to me, but some routers cause issues...also some network setups.

Something to do with the router or network polling your phone way too much.

You'd have to research this possibility tho.....that's all I know about it.

Do you have many wakelocks? Is the phone deep sleeping like a baby? :)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

xprnv

Mar 22, 2013
Not that it seems too bad to me, but some routers cause issues...also some network setups.

Something to do with the router or network polling your phone way too much.

You'd have to research this possibility tho.....that's all I know about it.

Do you have many wakelocks? Is the phone deep sleeping like a baby? :)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

I think now this had more to do with battery calibration.
My phone has been on for 13 hours today with WiFi using around 12pc with probably an hour searching for an open network ( the phone is almost always connected with WiFi ). So I guess the 12% is fair enough.
I think the network I have been on is set up fine because other android phones don't have the same problem on it
The phone is new so probably its just adjusting.