[Q] Device encryption

Search This thread

jjlean

May 9, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
I am rooted and using twrp recovery. I go to encrypt my device and it goes to the android, but it just reboots once and turns back on. No sign of encryption. Any ideas here?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
It's hard to address your question properly because you didn't provide any meaningful amount of information, in particular what TWRP and firmware versions you are using? You only left us a brief summary and didn't give any detailed description of your situation.

I saw your post several weeks ago, but went on to help someone else instead because of the crucial missing information.

Also, you can't have done much of a search (any search?) to see if your question had already asked and answered or you would have found this.

The relevant posts are mid thread where the recent encryption changes in Android and how TWRP is handling them are discussed. This will pertain to you vis a vis whether your version of TWRP support encryption or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjlean

jjlean

May 9, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
I saw your post several weeks ago but didn't reply for two reasons.

1. You didn't provide any meaningful amount of information, in particular what TWRP and firmware versions you are using.

2. Nor did you do a search to see if your question had already asked and answered or you would have found this.

The relevant posts are mid thread where the recent encryption changes in Android and how TWRP is handling them are discussed.

I didn't know if it was twrp or some other issue. I'm not a programmer or developer.

I did search Google, but I didn't search xda because I'm using the app. Thank you for the information.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
I didn't know if it was twrp or some other issue. I'm not a programmer or developer.

I did search Google, but I didn't search xda because I'm using the app. Thank you for the information.

I'd be happy if the information helps solve your encryption issue.

As to your other comments, it doesn't matter whether you knew if it was a TWRP or other issue. Nor do you need to be a programmer or developer. It's just common sense that you need to provide abundant detail if you have any realistic expectation of effective help.

I have no idea what your profession or hobbies might be. But for a simple analogy, take a failed pie recipe. If you say, awww, my pie didn't turn out properly - and you would like help fixing that, rather than just sympathy.. then don't you need to provide details for someone to easily help you?

How could anyone help you without knowing something about the recipe or how you went about baking the pie? Without information, the best you could hope for is random guesses. You don't need to be a programmer or developer to know that abundant details would greatly increase your chances of being helped.

And almost any combination of keywords on Google would have located the TWRP support forum. And any search with both encryption and TWRP in the search finds the recent thread that I linked you to.

jon123nyc

Sep 8, 2011
NyC
It's funny I've searched this site and scoured google, but I haven't seen a whole lot of info about issues encountered during the device encryption process. I've read that it slows the device down, but this was said about devices other and the S5...I've also heard that when encrypting, the screen goes black after a few seconds of the green android, which is the issue I've encountered....but, again, this was regarding a different device. It was in my search that I found this stale thread. Has anyone elkse had this problem?

Android is still running, there's a blue led on and my computer sees storage, but the screen stays black and doesn't respond to any keypresses. I've got twrp 286 and deviant's rom with the ob1 bl and modem/kernel. Next I tried it with a stock room, the only change I made before trying was installing twrp and reacquiring root after setting back to factory image via odin. I went in knowing that nandroids would be a problem after encryption because twrp wouldn't be able to unencrypt, but it shouldn't affect the actual encryption process or the device once unencrypting by entering the password at boot. Anyway,, I have been sitting waiting for 2 hours now and the blue led is on but nothing else.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any workarounds?

Thanks guys!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's hard to address your question properly because you didn't provide any meaningful amount of information, in particular what TWRP and firmware versions you are using? You only left us a brief summary and didn't give any detailed description of your situation.

I saw your post several weeks ago, but went on to help someone else instead because of the crucial missing information.

Also, you can't have done much of a search (any search?) to see if your question had already asked and answered or you would have found this.

The relevant posts are mid thread where the recent encryption changes in Android and how TWRP is handling them are discussed. This will pertain to you vis a vis whether your version of TWRP support encryption or not.