Polaris Office corrupting .doc files

Search This thread

alan77ss

Dec 9, 2010
I've found that if i import an ms .doc file into polaris, edit it and then transfer it back to my pc, i'm unable to open the file - i get an error "unexpected error occured while reading". I get the same result whether i open it in word, wordpad, open office etc.

tried this with a few docs, even tried an factory reset, but the problem still occurs. maybe it's just a bad install on my transformer but at the moment it makes polaris pretty much unusable - if i can't sync up my documents, or send them to other people to open on their computers, then it's pointless.

has anyone else noticed this?

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've found that if i import an ms .doc file into polaris, edit it and then transfer it back to my pc, i'm unable to open the file - i get an error "unexpected error occured while reading". I get the same result whether i open it in word, wordpad, open office etc.

tried this with a few docs, even tried an factory reset, but the problem still occurs. maybe it's just a bad install on my transformer but at the moment it makes polaris pretty much unusable - if i can't sync up my documents, or send them to other people to open on their computers, then it's pointless.

My PC is down right now, so I can't test, but I had edited a doc file that was emailed to me and sent it back without problems. Does this only happen when you edit an existing file or also with newly created docs?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

DilloDroid

Feb 17, 2011
Austintatious

I couldn't get my PC to read a document I created and then transfered from the Transformer either. I could read it when I emailed it to myself and picked it back off of my email on the PC. Could be in the transfering?

Harnec

Jul 24, 2008
İstanbul
I couldn't get my PC to read a document I created and then transfered from the Transformer either. I could read it when I emailed it to myself and picked it back off of my email on the PC. Could be in the transfering?

tested with one excel and one doc document, didn't have any problems viewing them on PC.

alan77ss

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the response.

Seems to be an issue just on edited files. So it might be that the files on the PC are somehow corrupted. But then i don't have a problem editing and sending docs on my PC - it's only once edited through polaris that there's a problem.

i noticed that when i open up a doc polaris prompts me to 'remove protection' - no idea what that's about as i don't protect the files. maybe it's something to do with that.

Pretty sure it's not the transfer methods, i've tried bluetooth,ftp, drag 'n drop etc...same results.

stujuk

Oct 29, 2007
Eastbourne
In my line of work I have come across some interesting information about older office files (doc,xls,ppt). There was an update for office that basically broke them, if you opened an older format file and saved it corrupted them. This same problem may have gone across to Polaris.

Does Polaris allow use of the newer format files(docx,xlsx,pptx)? If so this might be a way around the problem.

alan77ss

Dec 9, 2010
Well i tried creating a new document on my PC, edited it in polaris then transferred it back and had the same problem. can't really try other file formats (odt, rtf) as polaris doesn't appear to support them. i might try a quickinstall/refund of one of the other office apps and see if the problem is replicated.

incidentally i can open the editd documents on the docs2go viewer app and i can upload to google docs. so it might be that i have an ancient version of word, but then surely open office should be able to open it ?

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I had edited a file for work last week using Polaris (document file with images, headers, etc... ), so I tried opening it on my office PC using Office Word 2007 and it opens and renders perfectly.

alan77ss

Dec 9, 2010
Ok well the problem does seem to lie with polaris. i did a quick install/refund of quick office and was able to edit docs and view them on my pc with no problems.

i've got a feeling it's to do with the 'remove protection' prompt i get in polaris, didn't get that with quick office.

maybe it's just a bad install on my device as no one else seems to have the problem. I guess i'm gonna have to call up ASUS as polaris doesn't seem to offer any support on its site.

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ok well the problem does seem to lie with polaris. i did a quick install/refund of quick office and was able to edit docs and view them on my pc with no problems.

i've got a feeling it's to do with the 'remove protection' prompt i get in polaris, didn't get that with quick office.

maybe it's just a bad install on my device as no one else seems to have the problem. I guess i'm gonna have to call up ASUS as polaris doesn't seem to offer any support on its site.

I got that same message on the file I edited, but what I did was save a copy and worked off the copy. Not sure what the protection was, but that's what I did and it worked with opening the file on a PC.

alan77ss

Dec 9, 2010
I got that same message on the file I edited, but what I did was save a copy and worked off the copy. Not sure what the protection was, but that's what I did and it worked with opening the file on a PC.

Just tried your method and it worked with one file but that didn't prompt me for copy protection, but the other file with protection still wouldn't open. also tried creating a couple of docs in polaris from scratch but they wouldn't open either. it's just far too unreliable,i can't risk using this for work.

kind of thinking, to hell with it, i'm gonna buy quick office, it may be a tener but at least it works and you can actually paste stuff into it from other apps, which polaris doesn't do.

alukeonlife

Aug 3, 2011
Had exactly the same issue, could write things / edit but once i saved it.... nothing would open it. Compounded by the known issue that you can't copy n paste from polaris (why!?).

The work around I use (while considering what office app to buy) is to send to google docs.

In view mode (not edit mode) click the menu and send to google docs (you'll need to have the google docs app installed first obv. - it then imports it and you can save from google docs, or email a link to the doc.

Hope this helps.

(long time reader first time poster)

alukeonlife

Aug 3, 2011
With further testing I've found older versions of MS Word and Open Office won't open files edited on Polaris - Newer versions of MS Word will.

Can anyone else test and confirm this?

alan77ss

Dec 9, 2010
I tried a trial version of the newer word and was able to open up documents edited in Polaris - but it flagged up a security warning teling me it might be unsafe to do so.

But these were older documents writtten in an older version of word so maybe that has something to do with it. It might be that Polaris isn't handling older word documents properly.

LightI3ulb

Jun 26, 2010
I've been using Polaris Office for school work. Any file created in or edited with Polaris Office is seen by LibreOffice as outright corrupt. Can't open it at all. I tried opening the file on the school's computers with Word (probably the latest version) and it prompted me to open the file in "Protected mode" informing me that the file could possibly damage my computer (I assume they mean it could contain malicious code or something). Seems ASUS needs to get some bug reports about this.

dtserkanozkan

Jan 5, 2009
Hello. I am using the Endnote X5 for my thesis and it makes some automatic arrangements on doc file. When I transfer the file to my Asus, polaris reads it. But back to my PC, not! So I realized that the doc files that contain plain text doesn't make any problem with polaris.

Last edited:

FabianFinlay

Nov 23, 2014
Possible Solution

I have had the same problem.

I could still open the document on my Android smartphone but not on my computer. I am using an old version of Office 2000. My android had 2 office suites that would read the office document. Polaris Office and OfficeSuite. Polaris would not seem to save it in any other format but Office Suite let me re save it in docx format. I then synced with my desktop and was able to open the docx file with Office 2000- though you need to install Microsoft's free file converter to do that.

I use MyPhone Explorer to sync between Android and desktop. I think the issue is associated with Polaris rather than MyPhoneExplorer as I have no other problems with that. I did wonder if Polaris had changed the format to docx without changing the postscript but just changing it to filename.docx did not make any difference so the full conversion seems to be the solution.