Video Tutorial: Easily remove a hardcase from your Nexus 5 (no scratches)

Search This thread

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
mmmmBACON's Tips n Tricks:

Okay, so there are lots of comments about people scratching up the corners of their phone trying to take off a hardcase.

Here are two videos of how I do it. As you can see, after tons of swapping cases (daily) my phone is still in perfect condition (desk, not so much).

Enjoy those hardcases with no issues folks!

I was using an old Canon Powershot camera, so sorry if the videos are kinda blurry.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlZHPmzADnA&feature=youtu.be
This shows you how to bend the case out and over each corner individually. For install go volume side first, then one corner at a time and flex the case out and over the corners. Opposite when taking it off. Use the camera cutout with your index finger as the pivot point/fulcrum to make it easier to bend the case out and over the corner.

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bom9BWtUKS4
This video is for people who have trouble bending the case at all. This one is super easy and I explain everything in the video.

IyTo0Jk.jpg
T1HV3xf.jpg

Last edited:

CWick4141

Jul 11, 2012
Detroit
Nice guide! I'll be trying the card trick for sure when I decide to take off my ringke slim

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tysj

Feb 8, 2010
Just curious, which case is being used in the videos? I figure some are a little bit more stiff than others, and the Quicksand cases probably don't even up scratching since they seem a bit more soft than the traditional polycarbonate hardcases.

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Just curious, which case is being used in the videos? I figure some are a little bit more stiff than others, and the Quicksand cases probably don't even up scratching since they seem a bit more soft than the traditional polycarbonate hardcases.

The case in the videos is a black Quicksand case. Yeah it's a bit softer than some of the others I've got, but it's what I had on my phone at the time when I decided to make the videos. I've used the same procedure on all of my cases (both bending over the corners, and the card as well) including on my white Ringke Slim. The white Ringke Slim is probably the most difficult hardcase out there to remove from the Nexus 5 (and along with the Spigen Ultra Fit, the most complained about with regards to scratching corners), but I do the exact same procedures with it and it's worked just the same.

That's why I put up these videos, because I do this with all of my cases and haven't had a single scratching problem.

For my Nexus 5, so far I have:

- White Ringke Slim
- Deep Blue Candy Color
- Blue and Black Semi Transparent Cases
- Black and Orange Quicksand Cases

No problems taking off any of them.

Reactions: WarningHPB and tysj

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for this! But I'm still a bit over protective of my nexus 5, that I'm probably never gonna take off my spigen ultra fit unless I have to change the sim card. Otherwise, the case and phone are one. :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for this! But I'm still a bit over protective of my nexus 5, that I'm probably never gonna take off my spigen ultra fit unless I have to change the sim card. Otherwise, the case and phone are one. :p

Haha no worries.

Give us a pic of what new species you've cultivated when you eventually take the case off! :victory:

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Great video! I take mine off a different but more complicated way and it takes some time too lol.

Haha, as long as it works for you, doesn't matter how you do it really.

Dayum man, ur heavenly, :eek:, i got scratches on the corners already, i thought it was only me, i have the i-blason armourbox and the ilumni shield, :3

Thanks!

Yeah, scratching up the corners is quite common I guess, especially on the black Nexus 5 (maybe white Nexus 5 owners don't have this problem because their sides are a different plastic). I kept reading about lots of people getting scratches on their phones using one of the cases I have (Ringke Slim). But I never had a problem and I was wondering why I was fine, but other people were having problems.

Figured I would just share how I do it and hopefully help people not damage theirs.

Reactions: DiamondBond

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
*Bump*

Because sometimes people need a refresher, and because this issue is being brought up in other threads again....

Last edited:

Pituky

Nov 21, 2009
Hey Guys
I've ordered a black Ringke Slim for my nexus 5 and I was really scared about the scratches or ripping the back off while removing the case.
I see that the border in the white nexus 5 is glossy, not sure if it will suffer the same scratches on the finish??

Tks guys !!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mmmmBACON's Tips n Tricks:

Okay, so there are lots of comments about people scratching up the corners of their phone trying to take off a hardcase.

Here are two videos of how I do it. As you can see, after tons of swapping cases (daily) my phone is still in perfect condition (desk, not so much).

Enjoy those hardcases with no issues folks!

I was using an old Canon Powershot camera, so sorry if the videos are kinda blurry.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlZHPmzADnA&feature=youtu.be
    This shows you how to bend the case out and over each corner individually. For install go volume side first, then one corner at a time and flex the case out and over the corners. Opposite when taking it off. Use the camera cutout with your index finger as the pivot point/fulcrum to make it easier to bend the case out and over the corner.

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bom9BWtUKS4
    This video is for people who have trouble bending the case at all. This one is super easy and I explain everything in the video.

IyTo0Jk.jpg
    T1HV3xf.jpg

The case in the videos is a black Quicksand case. Yeah it's a bit softer than some of the others I've got, but it's what I had on my phone at the time when I decided to make the videos. I've used the same procedure on all of my cases (both bending over the corners, and the card as well) including on my white Ringke Slim. The white Ringke Slim is probably the most difficult hardcase out there to remove from the Nexus 5 (and along with the Spigen Ultra Fit, the most complained about with regards to scratching corners), but I do the exact same procedures with it and it's worked just the same.

That's why I put up these videos, because I do this with all of my cases and haven't had a single scratching problem.

For my Nexus 5, so far I have:

- White Ringke Slim
    - Deep Blue Candy Color
    - Blue and Black Semi Transparent Cases
    - Black and Orange Quicksand Cases

No problems taking off any of them.
    Great video! I take mine off a different but more complicated way and it takes some time too lol.

Haha, as long as it works for you, doesn't matter how you do it really.

Dayum man, ur heavenly, :eek:, i got scratches on the corners already, i thought it was only me, i have the i-blason armourbox and the ilumni shield, :3

Thanks!

Yeah, scratching up the corners is quite common I guess, especially on the black Nexus 5 (maybe white Nexus 5 owners don't have this problem because their sides are a different plastic). I kept reading about lots of people getting scratches on their phones using one of the cases I have (Ringke Slim). But I never had a problem and I was wondering why I was fine, but other people were having problems.

Figured I would just share how I do it and hopefully help people not damage theirs.