[Q] 64GB micro SD?

Search This thread

memoreks

Apr 5, 2007
King's Lynn
Has anyone tried a 64GB microSD card in the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus?

I have a class 10 32GB one in there at the moment, but at £37 for a 64GB I'd love to expand it further, but I don't want to pay out for one if it doesn't work!

Does anyone know if 32GB is the most it will take, or can I get a 64GB one?

memoreks

Apr 5, 2007
King's Lynn
Sorry, Google Shopping showed £37 as a price for a 64GB MicroSD, but when I got round to actually looking properly, it was an incorrectly labelled standard SD card.

Amazon are however selling them for £60 now, which means the price is coming down slowly!

paulus3476

Dec 7, 2010
Boston
amazon were nocking them out at £42 last week - I only bought one because I didn't believe it was genuine, even though they were supplied by amazon I was still suspicious. I wish I had taken a chance and ordered 2 or 3, because sure enough they are genuine sandisk cards and work well in all my devices - that's my tab, my xperia arc s and my Archos 70 IT2, I wish I'd bought one for each

G

glenbarney

Be careful of Class 10 or UHS 1 cards!

amazon were nocking them out at £42 last week - I only bought one because I didn't believe it was genuine, even though they were supplied by amazon I was still suspicious. I wish I had taken a chance and ordered 2 or 3, because sure enough they are genuine sandisk cards and work well in all my devices - that's my tab, my xperia arc s and my Archos 70 IT2, I wish I'd bought one for each

Just wanted to post a follow-up in this thread. At the time of these messages, the Class 6 cards were out, and it appears that they do work.

However, it's now September, and Class 10 cards are out, and they DO NOT work. The GT 7.7 people discovered (and I just "accidentally" confirmed on my stock ICS P6210) that Class 10 64GB cards get irreparably damaged when used on our Tabs. I have Class 10 cards in my S3 and Galaxy Note, and they're fine, but my P6210 just ate one on the first large file write - as has been seen on the 7.7 tabs as well!.

See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1460201&page=7 and other posts for reference.

I've just ordered a Class 6 64GB card from Amazon, and expect no problems with it - but be warned that many people are having problems with the Class 10 cards, on the 7.7 and (now) the 7.0+ tabs.

FWIW, YMMV...

camel90

Jul 14, 2012
Hey guys, just out of curiosity.

I have a couple of questions about the supported memory card for this device.

What is the maximum capacity supported by this drvice?
What is the fastest speed supported? (which class)

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda app-developers app

Sun_Cat

Feb 9, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Hey guys, just out of curiosity.

I have a couple of questions about the supported memory card for this device.

What is the maximum capacity supported by this drvice?
What is the fastest speed supported? (which class)

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda app-developers app

Mmm, read this thread and the one linked to in post #9.

misternest

Mar 3, 2007
New York
Thanks for asking this question, I wasn't sure myself and was going to ask, until I saw this thread, but I am glad that this tablet can use a card of this capacity because my wife is using a 32gb class 10 that is just about full of music, movies and ebooks. So, I just surprise her with a bigger sd card after all.

Member90

May 25, 2012
Thanks for asking this question, I wasn't sure myself and was going to ask, until I saw this thread, but I am glad that this tablet can use a card of this capacity because my wife is using a 32gb class 10 that is just about full of music, movies and ebooks. So, I just surprise her with a bigger sd card after all.

Im glad someone can use 32GB class 10 bcoz im going to buy it..huhu...

Sent from my GT-P6200 using XDA Premium

MichaelDjie

Aug 17, 2011
Jakarta

May I know which brand are you using?

Thx

misternest

Mar 3, 2007
New York

Thx

Hi, I apologize for the mistake in my previous post, she is currently using a regular SanDisk class 4 card, she had previously used the Mobile Ultra series class 10 though before she decided to use it in her T989 instead since she was having boot loop issues with the regular class 4.

I bought it from Best Buy in August when it was on sale for $40.

She had 1 issue with the card though, when she was in the process of moving the files and folders off of her pc, where she had copied the contents of the class 4 sd card she previously used in her SGS2, to her new class 10, SD card.

All was fine, until she had copied her NANDROID back up folder which was about 3 or 4 gb in size, everything else had copied over just fine.

When she copied her NANDROID back up folder to the Mobile Ultra card from her W7 laptop, where she had previously copied the class 4 card, and after one file couldn't be copied, the card became corrupted, and she couldn't read the card in her computer, phone or tablet, and formatting it didn't work at all. I even tried in my own device, and although I was able to read it, when she couldn't, it wouldn't format in my phone or tablet either.

In Windows, it said something about the file name being too long, and it would not let either of us rename or delete the file because it said that it was write protected, (it wasn't) and then sometime after that, the file name had some gibberish and was 6gb in size and we could not format it at all.

This happened with both sd cards, and so, I took them back to Best Buy and got another Mobile Ultra card that she now uses in her phone, and since then she hasn't had any issues. I also bought a USB card reader, and used the new card with it just in case the issue was with the sd card adapter it came with.

That said though, the Mobile Ultra cards, worked just fine in her T869, it was just one file that was inside the NANDROID back up folder that corrupted both cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelDjie

CKTurbo128

Jun 29, 2012
Minneapolis
I recently ordered a Team 64GB MicroSDXC card from New eggs for my Galaxy Tab Plus. Like the SanDisk 64GB Micro SDXC card, the Team card is also UHS-1. I installed it in my Tab Plus, where it initially recognized it.

As I started transferring some music files, the SD card stopped responding and the dreaded "damaged SD card message" popped up. I pulled out the SD card and tried to see if I could re-format it. However, in horror, none of my Windows 7 PCs could recognize it in my SDXC card reader; even Disk Management wasn't seeing anything! At that point, I concluded that my card was toast and was ready to return it. However, I decided to try to see if I could get it to work again before returning it, considering it was brand new.

I read through the thread on 64GB cards over at the Galaxy Tab 7.7 forums (as we share the same hardware and 64GB card issues) and found that some had found success with re-creating the partition table in Linux. I used Gparted, which saw the Team 64GB card, but had some initial difficulties, as the card would not stay mounted/visible for too long. After several inserts, I finally was able to wipe the corrupted partition on the card and used Gparted's option to re-create the partition table. After doing this, the dismounting issue disappeared, but Gparted still had trouble creating a full FAT32 partition on the card. I then tried zeroing it out with dd (same command that bex0rs used for his SanDisk 64GB card in the 7.7 thread). After a lengthy process, Gparted was finally able to create a full 64GB FAT32 partition without issue.

The Team 64GB SDXC card was then able to be seen by my Windows 7 PCs and I was able to transfer over 30 GB of content to the card without issue. Even my retired DROID Incredible and Nook Color were able to read and write to it fine. However, I have not tried it in my Galaxy Tab Plus, in fears that it would kill it, so I'm keeping it in my DROID Incredible for the mean time.

In short, if you want to try to salvage your dead 64GB MicroSDXC cards, you can try this. But it definitely seems that UHS-1 cards are the culprit with the Galaxy Tab Plus/7.7 tablets and should NOT be used in those tablets.

(Sent from a Galaxy Tab Plus via Tapatalk.)

It works fine with 64 gb, mine does.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk 2

hi i have tried 64 gb class 10 ones since there was no class 6 available at the time, and the card always got damaged after the approximately 30gb of data was copied to card. But now I can see class 6 ones on online shop but really want to make sure whether it works or not since this is also uhs-1 card. If any one of you have tried class 6 SanDisk with more than 30 gb of data then please tell me about your experience.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently ordered a Team 64GB MicroSDXC card from New eggs for my Galaxy Tab Plus. Like the SanDisk 64GB Micro SDXC card, the Team card is also UHS-1. I installed it in my Tab Plus, where it initially recognized it.

As I started transferring some music files, the SD card stopped responding and the dreaded "damaged SD card message" popped up. I pulled out the SD card and tried to see if I could re-format it. However, in horror, none of my Windows 7 PCs could recognize it in my SDXC card reader; even Disk Management wasn't seeing anything! At that point, I concluded that my card was toast and was ready to return it. However, I decided to try to see if I could get it to work again before returning it, considering it was brand new.

I read through the thread on 64GB cards over at the Galaxy Tab 7.7 forums (as we share the same hardware and 64GB card issues) and found that some had found success with re-creating the partition table in Linux. I used Gparted, which saw the Team 64GB card, but had some initial difficulties, as the card would not stay mounted/visible for too long. After several inserts, I finally was able to wipe the corrupted partition on the card and used Gparted's option to re-create the partition table. After doing this, the dismounting issue disappeared, but Gparted still had trouble creating a full FAT32 partition on the card. I then tried zeroing it out with dd (same command that bex0rs used for his SanDisk 64GB card in the 7.7 thread). After a lengthy process, Gparted was finally able to create a full 64GB FAT32 partition without issue.

The Team 64GB SDXC card was then able to be seen by my Windows 7 PCs and I was able to transfer over 30 GB of content to the card without issue. Even my retired DROID Incredible and Nook Color were able to read and write to it fine. However, I have not tried it in my Galaxy Tab Plus, in fears that it would kill it, so I'm keeping it in my DROID Incredible for the mean time.

In short, if you want to try to salvage your dead 64GB MicroSDXC cards, you can try this. But it definitely seems that UHS-1 cards are the culprit with the Galaxy Tab Plus/7.7 tablets and should NOT be used in those tablets.

(Sent from a Galaxy Tab Plus via Tapatalk.)
    It works fine with 64 gb, mine does.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk 2
    altho it said max is 32... The 64gb work fine...
    I have a 64gb in mine and it works just fine.

Thx

Hi, I apologize for the mistake in my previous post, she is currently using a regular SanDisk class 4 card, she had previously used the Mobile Ultra series class 10 though before she decided to use it in her T989 instead since she was having boot loop issues with the regular class 4.

I bought it from Best Buy in August when it was on sale for $40.

She had 1 issue with the card though, when she was in the process of moving the files and folders off of her pc, where she had copied the contents of the class 4 sd card she previously used in her SGS2, to her new class 10, SD card.

All was fine, until she had copied her NANDROID back up folder which was about 3 or 4 gb in size, everything else had copied over just fine.

When she copied her NANDROID back up folder to the Mobile Ultra card from her W7 laptop, where she had previously copied the class 4 card, and after one file couldn't be copied, the card became corrupted, and she couldn't read the card in her computer, phone or tablet, and formatting it didn't work at all. I even tried in my own device, and although I was able to read it, when she couldn't, it wouldn't format in my phone or tablet either.

In Windows, it said something about the file name being too long, and it would not let either of us rename or delete the file because it said that it was write protected, (it wasn't) and then sometime after that, the file name had some gibberish and was 6gb in size and we could not format it at all.

This happened with both sd cards, and so, I took them back to Best Buy and got another Mobile Ultra card that she now uses in her phone, and since then she hasn't had any issues. I also bought a USB card reader, and used the new card with it just in case the issue was with the sd card adapter it came with.

That said though, the Mobile Ultra cards, worked just fine in her T869, it was just one file that was inside the NANDROID back up folder that corrupted both cards.