[Q] Checking for OTA Update Error

Search This thread

mikestrong19

Jul 21, 2012
Just got the Verizon Moto X and now I am attempting to update it to the latest version (Android 4.4.2). I am currently on Android 4.2.2, which came with the phone out of the box. Whenever I go to About Phone > System Updates, it says "Checking for an available update" for a second and then the error message "An unexpected error has occured. Please try again later." pops up. I tried talking to Verizon (they redirected me to Motorola) and Motorola, where I was sent through the standard troubleshooting steps by someone who clearly didn't know anything about the phone. I tried restarting the phone, wiping the phone's cache, and looking for updates through the Motorola Device Manager on my computer (which said that my phone was up to date, even though it clearly isn't). Is there anything else I can do before I try a factory reset? I would prefer to download the OTA, but I have experience with rooting and installing custom ROMs, so if I have to install the update manually, I will (if it gets to that step, I will probably end up installing the 4.4.4 update which got sent out to soak testers).

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
Just got the Verizon Moto X and now I am attempting to update it to the latest version (Android 4.4.2). I am currently on Android 4.2.2, which came with the phone out of the box. Whenever I go to About Phone > System Updates, it says "Checking for an available update" for a second and then the error message "An unexpected error has occured. Please try again later." pops up. I tried talking to Verizon (they redirected me to Motorola) and Motorola, where I was sent through the standard troubleshooting steps by someone who clearly didn't know anything about the phone. I tried restarting the phone, wiping the phone's cache, and looking for updates through the Motorola Device Manager on my computer (which said that my phone was up to date, even though it clearly isn't). Is there anything else I can do before I try a factory reset? I would prefer to download the OTA, but I have experience with rooting and installing custom ROMs, so if I have to install the update manually, I will (if it gets to that step, I will probably end up installing the 4.4.4 update which got sent out to soak testers).

Do NOT upgrade until you've read another 24 hours on this board!!!!! I think you should take a second look at your status and see if you misread 4.4.2 as 4.2.2

Last edited:

mikestrong19

Jul 21, 2012
If you dont mind having an unrootable phone than update.

4.2.2 and 4.4 is fully rootable and able to disable write protection, 4.4.2 and newer is not. once you upgrade past 4.4 you lose ability to gain write and root.

Oh OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I have another phone that I use for rooting, ROMs, etc. The Moto X is currently my daily phone, and I need it to be stable, so I am not worried about rooting or anything like that. Just want the latest stock Android version on there.

I just talked to Motorola on the phone again, and they went through the same standard checklist (restart, wipe cache, factory reset -- none of which worked). At this point, they are going to exchange my current phone for a new one, which works out for me. The Moto X I bought was used, so I am getting a new phone for a used price in a convoluted way.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Oh OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I have another phone that I use for rooting, ROMs, etc. The Moto X is currently my daily phone, and I need it to be stable, so I am not worried about rooting or anything like that. Just want the latest stock Android version on there.

I just talked to Motorola on the phone again, and they went through the same standard checklist (restart, wipe cache, factory reset -- none of which worked). At this point, they are going to exchange my current phone for a new one, which works out for me. The Moto X I bought was used, so I am getting a new phone for a used price in a convoluted way.

Wow, what a waste. You could have just flashed the entire STOCK SBF as per the Return to Stock thread, and avoided costing Moto money, and hence raising the prices for everybody... :/

This would have repaired any filesystem corruption/damage, which is the only conceivable thing that might have caused your issue.

Last edited:
D

Darth

Your new one will probably have 4.4.2....which means no write protection disabling.

D'oh! ;)

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

You could have had FULL root on 4.2.2.