Galaxy SII audio hardware analysis - now with detailled review.

Search This thread

ziggazee

Jan 23, 2009
Id love to help but im a noob lol dnt even know what half of you are talking about.. Anyway i heard your one of the best devs so if you can put a guide of how to get the info you need, id me happy to help. Wish this hansdet would release everywere already, that way more ppl with better knowledge would be able to help.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

cpu98

May 1, 2011
Hi. It's me anotherguest at the IRC.

I rmaa'ed it.
It shows THD < 0.0050% and that was lower than iPod 5.5G.
It means lower than 0.005% not about 0.005%(met lower threshold of adc)
Unfortunately, however, other results are not reliable.

Hope someone with a great sound card measure it.

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Hi. It's me anotherguest at the IRC.

I rmaa'ed it.
It shows THD < 0.0050% and that was lower than iPod 5.5G.
It means lower than 0.005% not about 0.005%(met lower threshold of adc)
Unfortunately, however, other results are not reliable.

Hope someone with a great sound card measure it.

Hi pal :)
Thanks for this first test!
How unreliable are the other tests, are they too limited by the sound card used for measurements? Even if you setup the recording itself all in 24bits?

I understand if you don't want to make these tests public if you think values are not accurate enough. However if you can send an URL by mail ;)

So at least it seems to measure well at line-out output, which is a good thing. Means the DAC itself should be clean!
Now there is still the question of the headphone amp itself, and this basically only can be heard ^^

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Last edited:

cpu98

May 1, 2011
Here comes the fresh result. :D

-4dB analog gain(0dBFS) on iPod : -10dBFS on PC
14/15 level slider on SGS2 : -10dBFS on PC

So you can add roughly 10dB to those dB.
That gives Noise level <= -93.1dB, -92.7dB / DR > 92.7dB, 92.7dB for SGS2, iPod 5.5G respectively. Not sure about other results.(Actual value would be better than this)
And if SGS2 level slider controls digital gain its result would be better.

Graph shows they have far different design.

It should be considered as an comparative measurement not an absolute value.

img52.imageshack.us/i/unledxz.png/

Last edited:
Reactions: supercurio

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Here comes the fresh result. :D

-4dB analog gain(0dBFS) on iPod : -10dBFS on PC
14/15 level slider on SGS2 : -10dBFS on PC

So you can add roughly 10dB to those dB.
That gives Noise level <= -93.1dB, -92.7dB / DR > 92.7dB, 92.7dB for SGS2, iPod 5.5G respectively. Not sure about other results.(Actual value would be better than this)
And if SGS2 level slider controls digital gain its result would be better.

Graph shows they have far different design.

It should be considered as an comparative measurement not an absolute value.

img52.imageshack.us/i/unledxz.png/

Here are your measurements directly shown as I can link external content:

There is just 1 thing that looks strange, its in the THD+N graph: see the white shape around 1kHz, is it jitter? at this frequency? It doesn't look right. but yeah we need counter-measurements.

I'm interested in measurements at the maximum digital volume too:)

Woodend

Oct 20, 2010
Hi guys,

can you already say something about the quality of the DAC after these few tests? I'm dying to know.

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
I second this proposal.
Current analysis is too limited to draw conclusions about the sound, apart from a low distortion rate from the DAC which is a good point but not the whole picture.

Missing infos:
- Quality, sound and versatility of the headphone amplifier.
- How clean is the DAC output in highest frequencies, including > 20kHz (affect listening fatigue)
- Level of hiss with sensitive headphones (like in-ear)

For comparison, Galaxy S / Nexus S story with Wolfson WM8994 is: great but not perfect DAC, mind-blowing built-in headphone amp.

Last edited:

cpu98

May 1, 2011
Current analysis is too limited to draw conclusions about the sound, apart from a low distortion rate from the DAC which is a good point but not the whole picture.

Missing infos:
- Quality, sound and versatility of the headphone amplifier.
- How clean is the DAC output in highest frequencies, including > 20kHz (affect listening fatigue)
- Level of hiss with sensitive headphones (like in-ear)

For comparison, Galaxy S / Nexus S story with Wolfson WM8994 is: great but not perfect DAC, mind-blowing built-in headphone amp.

I'll do 192kHz measurement tonight.
Regarding hiss, It's not easily noticeable, a lot quieter than iPod 5.5G.(on etymotic mc5, 16ohm)
I heard it's output impedance is 31!!!ohm.(NOT CONFIRMED)

Demiourgos

Oct 4, 2010
Hi, I hope it has good audio quality but as it has USB OTG I would love to use it with my external Fiio E7 DAC/AMP via USB or jack 3,5.

1. Will SGS2 work with Fiio E7 via USB OTG?
2. Does Voodoo have an line-out option via 3,5 jack socket?

Virtue94

Mar 5, 2011
New York, NY
Hi, I hope it has good audio quality but as it has USB OTG I would love to use it with my external Fiio E7 DAC/AMP via USB or jack 3,5.

1. Will SGS2 work with Fiio E7 via USB OTG?
2. Does Voodoo have an line-out option via 3,5 jack socket?

I don't think the stock ROM works with portable amps/DACs at the moment. I believe its only limited to flash drives although I could be wrong.

supercurio

May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Reactions: erahk64

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Detailed audio review of the Galaxy S II now published on Anandtech:

Samsung Galaxy S 2 (International) Review - The Best, Redefined

Still this thread is an excellent source of info and the diversity of peoples feedback is well worth a read.

Original message:
    Hi!

Some of you maybe followed early findings shared on twitter: partial unconfirmed informations and contradictory confirmations.

But now, Galaxy SII is out and a few people have if already!
    I don't have one but maybe you can let me help you grab accurate informations from your devices, that we will share here on this thread with everyone.

Also, exploring a device is always a fun process, so.. lets do that :)
    As promised: here is my Galaxy S II detailed audio review :)
    I wrote it as I'd like to read it for a long time on other websites.

And its part of an insane in-depth review from Anandtech team. Awesome guys.

As writing review is really something new for me I need your feedback & critic: don't hesitate to be harsh or contradict me. Its a first and I want to make better text time!
    so any chance of a audio volume boost? as soon as a tweak settings with the equalizer app to increase the bass the volume gets so low.

I'm working at the moment on a new project to allow easier programming of low level audio hacks for much more devices than those supported in Voodoo Sound.
    I want Voodoo Sound to stay dedicated on audiophile-capable devices, but there's a high demand for other kind of boost or hacks.

I make no promise here, but its likely Galaxy S II headphone amp boost (analog!) may become one.
    Woohoo - it must be christmas. Just today someone posted the complete service manual of the SGS2 and it's a good one! Over 100 pages with even level 3 service instructions - down to chip and part level, basically schematics of the phone :).

Grab it, as long as it's up: 56542824-Samsung-GT-i9100-service-manual.pdf

P.S.: Ignore the post if it's already known.
    I'm upgrading to the latest KE7 and will tell you if the audio situation changed or not.

Well, as soon as my battery is full enough for Kies which is very demanding :D