[MOD] NFC on AT&T Stock ROM (CWM)

Search This thread

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
Might be able to temp root to install CWM. Reference post #18 in this thread for rooting/custom recovery instructions without tripping the flash counter.

Last edited:

imitenotbecrazy

Nov 9, 2011
i just ordered 10 Ultralight C nfc tags from http://www.tagstand.com/pages/catalog. Have already bought "NFC Task Launcher" from the play store. this should be pretty awesome to use.

I got the mifire 1k's a few weeks ago and love them. I don't need all of the space on them but it is nice to have it available and not be worried about space. I use the nfc task launcher as well. Turns on BT, turns off wifi, turns on gps, and opens voice talk as soon as I put the phone in my car dock

JGuinan007

Jun 1, 2010
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Are you sure about the chip

:confused:
Yup, it's just disabled on the AT&T for some reason. If you take off your battery cover and look at it, the chip is built into the cover itself.

I tested transmission and receiving with a friend's Nexus. It works great.

I thought the contacts on the cover were only for the NFC antenna and the chip itself was in the phone my free best buy case also has the contacts.

BonesRed

Apr 27, 2010
Lower East Side, NYC
If I had to guess, it is a hardware issue since wallet was built specifically for the Nexus S. But, I could be completely wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

That could be, but I would guess that it's just some sort of weird marketing agreement that google has with the major american cell phone companies. Google wants to drop the first widespread NFC payment system, so the big phone companies are holding out on Isis and even disabling NFC that comes stock on other devices, so that Google's phone will be the first phone "EVER" offered with NFC and the ability to use Google wallet an NFC payment solution.

My guess is that The nexus app checks for more than just the Device ID in the Build.Prop as our phones have the technology and capability to run Google Wallet.

Truaim

Dec 27, 2010
Vancouver, WA
That could be, but I would guess that it's just some sort of weird marketing agreement that google has with the major american cell phone companies. Google wants to drop the first widespread NFC payment system, so the big phone companies are holding out on Isis and even disabling NFC that comes stock on other devices, so that Google's phone will be the first phone "EVER" offered with NFC and the ability to use Google wallet an NFC payment solution.

My guess is that The nexus app checks for more than just the Device ID in the Build.Prop as our phones have the technology and capability to run Google Wallet.

All im hearing is that its time to starting decompiling Google wallet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
Ok! I think I know why Wallet doesn't work. It checks for root. Google's quick fix for the rooted phone password bug was to do a lockout.

Edit: well that's part of it. It looks at device as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Last edited:

songyop

Sep 17, 2010
I got the mifire 1k's a few weeks ago and love them. I don't need all of the space on them but it is nice to have it available and not be worried about space. I use the nfc task launcher as well. Turns on BT, turns off wifi, turns on gps, and opens voice talk as soon as I put the phone in my car dock

How do you control the GPS on the NFC Task Launcher?
I don't see the menu item for that function (using the app purchased from Google Play). :<

kimocal

Jul 28, 2006
Pilot Hill, CA
How do you control the GPS on the NFC Task Launcher?
I don't see the menu item for that function (using the app purchased from Google Play). :<

You'll need Tasker and Secure Settings to turn on GPS. Doesn't look like it's available in the NFC Task Launcher program itself. I can't seen to find it plus it's not listed on the apps web page. Tasker will open up way more options plus you can get away with the smaller sized tags using my work around in my earlier post in this thread.

Sent magically through the air from the mighty Note!

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
BTW, not sure what the "tag.apk" is unless it's just an app that's useful, the only thing really needed here is the XML file to tell the phone it has the HW.

I wonder how much battery NFC uses if it's left on all of the time. I keep pondering playing with tags, but considering turning NFC on when it's plugged in using Tasker but that'd limit the use.

bwhitfield24

Nov 9, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
BTW, not sure what the "tag.apk" is unless it's just an app that's useful, the only thing really needed here is the XML file to tell the phone it has the HW.

I wonder how much battery NFC uses if it's left on all of the time. I keep pondering playing with tags, but considering turning NFC on when it's plugged in using Tasker but that'd limit the use.

Can anyone that's been using this for a bit comment? Is the NFC a battery hog?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This flash contains an xml permissions file and the Tag.apk from the Canadian ROMs.

Once you've flashed this you will have the option to turn on NFC in Wireless Settings as well as be able to install NFC apps from the Play Market.

Obligatory Directions:

1. Reboot your phone into Recovery if you've already installed ClockworkMod Recovery. If you don't know if you have, you probably haven't. Go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526431
    2. Make a Backup! This doesn't do anything fancy, but I'm not responsible if you lose everything when flashing. CWM is still technically a Beta build for this phone
    3. Choose "install zip from sdcard"
    4. Choose either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending on where you saved it.
    5. Find your file and install it
    6. Restart. You now have NFC options.
    As in changing the phone name in the build.prop to a nexus? I'm not really sure what that would do. I'll look up the model number and report back what happens when I change it.

As for flashing this, I doubt it will cause any more problems than the root kernel and bloat removal will. Unless AT&T has some spyware buried into the phone, they shouldn't know, nor should they care.

This flash literally just tosses in the permissions XML and adds the control program from the other phones to the system apps. EVERYTHING else was already in the ROM, including the Nfc.apk and libraries. Kinda annoying, but AT&T is wanting it locked out on phones until they're proprietary NFC payment system is released.

Personally, I wanted to play with launch tags, so I figured out how to unlock it, and then made a CWM flashable that does all the heavy lifting I figured out by tearing through the Rodgers and Telus ROMs.
    Yup, it's just disabled on the AT&T for some reason. If you take off your battery cover and look at it, the chip is built into the cover itself.

I tested transmission and receiving with a friend's Nexus. It works great.
    just installed through CWM and works perfectly. are there any apps currently out there similar to "Google Wallet" that I can use in order to pay wireless? And the NFC tags are pretty cool, i will experiment with that as well.
    I've got the latest SAUROM and the ATT fix. Would this work on that? Is there any downside to giving it a try?

It's already enabled in Saurom. Just goto Settings-->Wireless and Network-->NFC near the bottom.