ChevronWP7 shuts down, handsets to be re-locked in 120 days

Search This thread
G

GuestK00161

Modifying a boot loader causes no damages, stealing Windows Phone or apps does... Are you guys serious right now?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I think that is the difference between WM/WP and Android...Having a modified bootloader on a WM/WP device would definitely be frowned upon over at MS.

You might get an overall idea on what I am talking about here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Pre-installation

even though it roughly is talking about the Windows OS.

samsabri

Dec 9, 2010
Los Angeles
In practice, what this means for me?
I've a Samsung WP unlocked by Chevron. So, I've installed Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps... this means that after the 120 days, theses apps won't work in my phone?

I hope they don't work for you. Harsh right? But Nokia Maps and Drive were created by Nokia for their handsets.

You're part of the problem with Chevron being discontinued. You know that right? The intent of Chevron was to allow hobbyists to build apps and put them on their devices without having to shell out the $99. Why would Microsoft support a product that allows someone to steal the property of another? Makes no sense.

Shame on you.

Reactions: FiyaFleye

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
^ thank you.

& for the record, HTC encouraged the unlocking of their bootloaders, they even unlocked them for users. Either way, there is no monetary damage loss like stealing these apps & the OS.

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
LMAO, sure HTC did....http://www.dailytech.com/HTC+Begrudgingly+Allows+Bootloader+Unlocking/article23633.htm.

HTC's own words: It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. Please note that unlocking your bootloader does not mean that you will be able to unlock the SIM lock. Unlocking your SIM lock is at the discretion of your operator/carrier and is not part of the bootloader unlocking scope.

Our devices have been designed with our hardware and software specifications in mind and unlocking the bootloader will change the software and may cause unexpected side effects. It is impossible for HTC to ensure the proper functioning of your device after this. In the worst case scenario, it is possible that your device may be physically damaged due to overheating or the behavior of your device might be altered including, but not limited to, hearing aid compatibility (HAC) and specific absorption rate (SAR) values.

Some content on your device may also be invalidated and cannot be accessed any more because of invalid DRM security keys. This includes content that you may have purchased through a 3rd party vendor and through HTC. Furthermore, although you will still be able to receive updates to your device via FOTA (“firmware over the air”), we do not guarantee that updating your device via FOTA will not render your device unusable. Please understand that you will not be able to return your device to the original state and going forward your device may not be held covered under the warranty for all claims resulting from the unlocking of the bootloader. HTC bears no responsibility if your device is no longer usable afterwards.

We strongly suggest that you do not unlock the bootloader unless you are confident that you understand the risks involved. This is a technical procedure and the side effects could possibly necessitate repairs to your device not covered under warranty. If you are still interested in unlocking the bootloader, and you understand the consequences both to your device and to your warranty, then you may refer to the following pages where we have provided the unlocking instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: lqaddict

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
LMAO, sure HTC did....http://www.dailytech.com/HTC+Begrudgingly+Allows+Bootloader+Unlocking/article23633.htm.

HTC's own words: It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. Please note that unlocking your bootloader does not mean that you will be able to unlock the SIM lock. Unlocking your SIM lock is at the discretion of your operator/carrier and is not part of the bootloader unlocking scope.

Our devices have been designed with our hardware and software specifications in mind and unlocking the bootloader will change the software and may cause unexpected side effects. It is impossible for HTC to ensure the proper functioning of your device after this. In the worst case scenario, it is possible that your device may be physically damaged due to overheating or the behavior of your device might be altered including, but not limited to, hearing aid compatibility (HAC) and specific absorption rate (SAR) values.

Some content on your device may also be invalidated and cannot be accessed any more because of invalid DRM security keys. This includes content that you may have purchased through a 3rd party vendor and through HTC. Furthermore, although you will still be able to receive updates to your device via FOTA (“firmware over the air”), we do not guarantee that updating your device via FOTA will not render your device unusable. Please understand that you will not be able to return your device to the original state and going forward your device may not be held covered under the warranty for all claims resulting from the unlocking of the bootloader. HTC bears no responsibility if your device is no longer usable afterwards.

We strongly suggest that you do not unlock the bootloader unless you are confident that you understand the risks involved. This is a technical procedure and the side effects could possibly necessitate repairs to your device not covered under warranty. If you are still interested in unlocking the bootloader, and you understand the consequences both to your device and to your warranty, then you may refer to the following pages where we have provided the unlocking instructions.

Where does any of this say it's illegal to unlock the bootloader... I don't get it? It emphasizes the risks, it doesn't deem it illegal. Stealing licensed software/apps IS illegal... Why can't you understand this? Jesus Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
...didn't you say HTC encouraged bootloader unlocking...? As usual, you don't know what you're talking about....you put Android on a Winmo phone, but you didn't steal because YOU did it, but you're higher and mightier than us that bought this software WITH Microsoft's blessing.....

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
I know some people are upset about the Chevron deal, and likewise I know others feel the Chevron team are unjustly being blamed for it, but, there's still no excuse for attacking others who are just voicing their opinions and venting.

If you don't agree with someone please either reply like a normal person or just move on to something else.

theclueless

Jul 30, 2008
Chicago
i was genuinely happy when they announced wp7 as successor for wm6. while wm6 was powerful, it was freaking unstable as heck, and although iphone is nice, you cant use the ide in windows nor linux (if you want a computer thats usable use windows, if you want a secure pc use linux, if you want the headache of linux and bugs of windows use osx).

when i learned that wm6 programs will no longer works in wp7, i was fine with it, since it is gonna be with c#, and i dont mind picking up another language. when the dev detail came out, i was surpised that i cannot i dev unlock it without getting an app approved and published on the marketplace with a dreamspark account, although it was a bit counterintuitive, so i remade my float point calculator and tested on the emulator (crappy, but workable).

the real headache is the approval process. i submitted the app, rejected because the color scheme does not work well with the white theme, good on microsoft for making sure the app works for all flavor; second time, the large icon is not up to the standard, sure why not, mspaint will do, simple fix; third time, the back-key brings the app back to the menu rather than home screen (isnt that the job of the WINDOWS key?); fourth time, the textbox only takes numbers and A-F (ITS A FREAKING FLOAT POINT CALCULATOR!), resubmit with explanation; fourth time take-two, 2 weeks no respond, stuck in "reviewing". By this time i gave up and use chevron and unlocked my phone, toss my app on my shiny hd7, and went happily away in my ee class and labs with my float point calculator (because i lost my ti-89 ). my friends, who also owned hd7 and omnia 7, were interested in my app, but since their phones were not unlocked, and my app is not in the marketplace thanks to microsoft approving fart apps and not my remotely useful to only a handful of people app, and chevron was shutdown, theres no way for them to get it.

Fast forward another week, my app is REJECTED again because my BACK key behavior is not properly used to bring back to the menu (see rejection #3). by this time, i gave up. i returned my wp7, hope microsoft their best, and returned to my old faithful nexus one, downloaded java and eclipse, load up android dev tools, made my float point calc again in java, load it on my phone. so happen one of my friend who wanted my program also returned his hd7 for a samsung vibrant, so i loaded my app on his phone too, simple as that. the funny thing is, i resubmitted my 3rd version of the app to marketplace, and it was published 2 weeks later.

other people might have different experience with wp7 than me, but this is frustration beyond belief for me. i like wp7, i really do, but i wish i can do a bit more with their api calls (at least the public ones), and for the love of god, if i have a dreamspark account, that means im a college student with fixed income and cannot pay you $99 a year to make an app just for myself and/or at most a couple of other people i know, just give me the ability to side load 3, maybe 4 apps, without going through your painful approval process.

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
^…moral of the story, don't give up.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

quicoli

Mar 21, 2012
Originally Posted by samsabri>
"You're part of the problem with Chevron being discontinued. You know that right? The intent of Chevron was to allow hobbyists to build apps and put them on their devices without having to shell out the $99. Why would Microsoft support a product that allows someone to steal the property of another? Makes no sense."

I agree with you partly. See, I had a sony ericsson Vivaz and a Garmin GPS software installed in it. When I changed to WP, there was no such good GPS for my country. My escape was Nokia Drive.

Just few days ago was published a good GPS software (Turn by Turn) for my country, and I'm buying it.

The main problem is the lack of customization for WP and regionals markets arent good enough. There are some nice american apps. I would love to use here, but I cant, they arent available for me. Microsoft has been so severe about personalization that developers arent interested on it.

Maybe, this changes when Apollo comes out, or not. Nokia is trying to convince everybody about WP, or better, about Lumia (if you see, main point of their adversitment is Lumia, not the trade Windows Phone).

Mephikun

Dec 1, 2011
Bangor
So, basically, this is the worst time to buy a WP7 phone for someone who likes to customize their devices to their liking?

G

GuestK00161

I'm probably gonna end up getting an HTC Surround if I get a WP7 phone.

If you check out the HD7 / HD7s (at&t) - it blows the Surround out of the water. However, it still is pretty expensive for a 1st gen phone.

I had a Surround for awhile...wasn't all too impressed for it being a first release phone. -(Before interop/rooting capabilities).

Bromatt13

Dec 1, 2011
can the discussion on why it is happening end and talk about what to do. Like i posted earlier how is our states affected if we unlock beyond the chevron token unlock? will anything be changed really if we have interop-unlocked?

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Why is this happening? Good question. I do know that I'm tired of being burned by these fly by night development groups....I guess I should've known better after the TP2 Sim Unlocker debacle...Some apps won't work if you're interlop unlocked...the only method I see is registry edit the value to prevent the re-lock...

Last edited:

cocotehier

Feb 11, 2010
"I just want to know if apps already side loaded will continue to work after the tokens are revoked" On mine none of them ! And, no way to install new xap.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know some people are upset about the Chevron deal, and likewise I know others feel the Chevron team are unjustly being blamed for it, but, there's still no excuse for attacking others who are just voicing their opinions and venting.

If you don't agree with someone please either reply like a normal person or just move on to something else.
    What the hell man, this is just crazy what is Microsoft thinking? This will only drive more people away from the platform and will keep phone sales at the rate they are now or lower. Who in the world wants to pay $99 a year just to be able to customize a phone? I personally do currently pay the $99 but will stop soon this is just a death sentence for Windows phone, really someone over at MS gets fired over this.
    In practice, what this means for me?
    I've a Samsung WP unlocked by Chevron. So, I've installed Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps... this means that after the 120 days, theses apps won't work in my phone?

You're one of the people who make me disgusted at this community. Nokia apps (and other OEM apps) are device specific. You need to buy those devices to get those apps, as those apps on other devices is called stealing. Yet, this entire community insists they are entitled to things they have never paid for... Most of you don't want these accounts to "develop" or contribute, you want these accounts to sideload apps you have no way of paying for/getting.
    I don't mind the side loading. I mind the people coming in here to ***** about not having any way to load stolen software into their phone... Its just pathetic. I would understand if you're developing your ass off, but you're stealing... C'mon...

Sideloaded Apps?

Like most people here, I wanted the token to be able to sideload apps and customize my Focus. I have sideloaded dozens of homebrew apps and contributed to many of their developers. I have no "pirated" apps on my Focus and would not. My issue with what is happening now is the following:

1. Many token purchasers will be from regions not supported by the App Hub program;

2. The idea that revoking the token will lock us out of homebrew and sideloaded apps that we may have paid for through contributions, is fundamentally unethical and, IMHO, illegal. These are xaps that we sideloaded or downloaded (if you installed xaphandler, through IE or email attachments) legally, many paid for, and are on our phones legitimately. No one has the right to block these xaps from future use, no one.

3. The "solution is not a solution at all for some, and requires us "lending" MS $99. Many of us are unemployed and that $99 is just not practical.

If the revocation of the tokens causes any apps on our devices to cease to function, I urge everyone impacted to consider a class action suit against MS and Chevron Labs. No one has the right to preclude you from using legitimately obtained products for your devices.