[DEVS ONLY] Nexus 4 camera recording v0.2 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (60FPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
Hi releasing a quick kernel to test the camera quality
Compiled for Android jellybean 4.2.1 & 4.2.2
Ive tested it needs more modified but ive activated high profile & level.

For testing the boot.img boot in fasboot mode in terminal via fastboot boot boot.img

Test and post results thank you

Log outputs this
OMXCodec: [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] AVC profile = 100 (High), level = 51, ive changed kernel and set the level to 4 for now.
High profile avc h.264 has been achieved along with changing of profile level upto 5.1.
Now my focus/attention is on FPS attempting to achieve 60FPS recording

This is a quick kernel based off motleys for testing purposes on camera quality so thank you motley! :D

Downloads & Changelog in post#2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (kernel)

Downloads:

Changelog:

V0.1 initial release
Activated AVC H.264 High profile
Level now set to 4 on AVC

V0.2

Last edited:
Reactions: alvin182

farhanito

Aug 21, 2010
Jakarta

Interesting.
So this kernel has everything from Motley, plus your Camera modification?

And what kind of feedback do you want us to report? :D

[N⁴][CarbonRom][Motley]

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaky156

nick34609

Feb 17, 2011
spring hill

I've downloaded and will flash later. Will give you feedback.

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

Log tells me its set to high and level 4 so thats a definite but i might need to modify more to get it running good also ive attempted to get it running at 60fps camera does look smooth to me, but need confirmation of camera quality and smoothness improvement, didnt have time so couldnt check the fps of video i made

Rafase282

Oct 25, 2006
Bronx
Since it is for testing a I recommend a

"fastboot boot boot.img" to test without flashing, just in case something goes bad, then you just need to reboot.

Reactions: vindikleuk

nick34609

Feb 17, 2011
spring hill
Flash went well. Going to try some pics and video and then compare to stock and let you know. Colors need adjusting, does this support gamma changes?

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

It does support gamma changes. Just restored my display settings. Now to test out the camera.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Log tells me its set to high and level 4 so thats a definite but i might need to modify more to get it running good also ive attempted to get it running at 60fps camera does look smooth to me, but need confirmation of camera quality and smoothness improvement, didnt have time so couldnt check the fps of video i made

Image quality looks good. Recording looks smooth. How can I check the fps on the video?

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

1080p video is at 30.77 fps. Let me take a 720 video and check that now.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

720 is at 27 fps.

Okay thanks for testing ill attempt the fps again, but the encoding/decoding high profile level 4 has been achieved

2 things have been achieved so ill attempt fps

Reactions: io53 and Luigi_2

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

Since ive used motleys kernel you can use motleys as a direct comparison for video quality etc

nick34609

Feb 17, 2011
spring hill

Which version did you use? Post the link and I'll flash it.

nick34609

Feb 17, 2011
spring hill

30 fps for 1080, 720, and 480. That's with motley from 2-20-13

halluci293

Feb 18, 2013

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

I did set thw framefrate as 60fps can someone use a modded profile.xml and test fps??

nick34609

Feb 17, 2011
spring hill

I flashed the XML from the other thread and it actually lowered my fps to 24. And it made video look choppy for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi releasing a quick kernel to test the camera quality
    Compiled for Android jellybean 4.2.1 & 4.2.2
    Ive tested it needs more modified but ive activated high profile & level.

For testing the boot.img boot in fasboot mode in terminal via fastboot boot boot.img

Test and post results thank you

Log outputs this
    OMXCodec: [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] AVC profile = 100 (High), level = 51, ive changed kernel and set the level to 4 for now.
    High profile avc h.264 has been achieved along with changing of profile level upto 5.1.
    Now my focus/attention is on FPS attempting to achieve 60FPS recording

This is a quick kernel based off motleys for testing purposes on camera quality so thank you motley! :D

Downloads & Changelog in post#2

Is it possible to improve picture quality on the camera? I'm not very happy with mine.

Transmission sent from my badass Nexus 4.

I think yes but I'm not promising anything

Any chances, we get in touch with the source?

yes very soon I hope as soon as I finish the 60fps and few other things, thing is I've hacked it to the point even if you choose another level or profile it wont change only the high profile level 4 is selected need to work on it abit more

And can instant HDR pictures be achieved anytime soon?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Very interesting question something I'll need to look into in my spare time

60 fps no way

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Yes way! lol

Not sure about some of it but I can tell you that the higher bit rate helps with limiting the grainy video you see at times. 25Mbps is really about all you need at 1080p, any higher only makes for large files but no better quality.

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video. This isn't a high action game. Even the cinema standard is 24fps. Besides our hardware caps at 30. Just like most other phones. Drop to 30 again - the software drops frames anyway so you'd need to record Bruce Lee fighting to test and see if we can hit 60fps at all.

The source would be great since the media encoding is embedded in the kernel it seems. Not in the .apk like the "old" days. Maybe see if we can get the audio sampling up to 192 or 320, instead of the lackluster 96 (seriously Google, wtf...)

Lastly, there should be options for the FFC. What can we for for that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Dont worry you'll be able to limit the fps or atleast I'm hoping to do that so if its not your kinda thing then you can stick to your 30fps ;)

60fps is a matter of opinion. Personally I deinterlace all my 30i media to 60p, and it looks great. 24fps (or rather, 23.976fps) in cinema is just a matter of tradition, rather than any technical superiority. We might see this trend changing soon with The Hobbit being recorded at 48fps.

Anyway, the Padfone 2 with the same APQ8064 is capable of 720p at 60fps, so unless the hardware limitation you are talking about is with the camera module, the hardware encoder in the APQ8064 should be capable of 720p 60fps recording.

Thank you for the info

720p video @ 60fps would be amazing. That plus higher bitrates and AVC high profile would finally make the video recording worthwhile. I sincerely hope you figure this out, OP!

Wait for v0.2

HDR video HDR video HDR video. I would give you money if you got that working :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Ive been thinking about that feature if i had full net access on my computer i wouldve already done a custom build, i have already done custom binarys built but didnt release that was months ago lkl
    Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)

^^ Why attack other members like that, no need for it. Just disagree with an argument, makes you cooler..
    OK. Here's my stab at a comparison video.

Two videos. Both are split screen with the main profile on one half and high profile on the other. It's the same footage for both, just reversed sides so you can compare.

I edited the XML file so the bitrate is 20mbps. The footage is all 1080p30. All low light which I think is good because you can see the compression artifacts more.
    To keep the timing right I had to clip the footage in places. It may appear that there's skipping but those are just my cuts.
    Ignore the colour difference...that was just me accidentally picking the wrong white balance before I recorded.

You can really tell on the shot of the car with the green seat where the compression artifacts are much more visible on the main profile.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Edit: It's hard to see on you tube because of the recompression. It's much clearer on the original footage that the high is better. To help, crank the res to 1080p in youtube and then full screen it

http://youtu.be/WnF1-XXWaww

http://youtu.be/mjz9MTM13qY
    Re: Nexus 4 camera recording v0.1 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests

Have some time later this week to work on it yay! Did have a look at the mi2 or whatever that other phones called for 60fps, not sure where and why they claim 60fps? Can clearly see stuttering in videos and checked everything unable to find anything on 60fps on that device, so not sure if its encoding @ 60fps, other than that did a few tests which resulted in camera FC