So torn; Keep the One m8 or get the S5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
Hello, would like some honest advice and opinions please, on whether to keep my new ATT HTC One M8 or get the ATT Galaxy S5 ?

I am no fanboy, I have owned like 11 or 12 different Android phones over the past four years, HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc... To me the company brand doesn't really matter whatsoever. In this order is my opinion on most important features; #1 = Best battery life, #2 = Best screen, #3 = Pocketable and good feel in hand, and weight in pants / shorts, #4 = Root option, to debloat the phone, and install apps like AdAway, and Greenify, and Xposed Framework, #4 = Smoothness of the OS and UI, no lag, and good looking UI.

Little recent phone history the past year, I have had the ATT S4 since the Fall, and before that the Nexus 4. Got rid of the Nexus due to average battery life, and dropped it and cracked the screen. Got the ATT S4, and liked it, but didn't know about the lock bootloader before I bought it, so Root was my only option, but I was cool with that, root allowed me to all I wanted, like delete apps, install root apps, and also Xposed framework with Wanam, and I turned my S4 into a cool phone, but the S4 screen always seemed too dim for outdoors, and battery life was ok, not bad, not great, and it did lag a little here and there. So...time for an upgrade.

Reading every review out there between the new HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy S5, made them seem like such a tie, it was more personal features that separated them, but hardware wise, both phones share very similar components, and pretty close battery life.

After owning the One M8 for a week now, only noticeable drawbacks coming form an S4, is the weight of the M8 feels much heavier, especially when in the pockets of my pants or coat, it weighs it down noticeably more than the S4 did, and with gym shorts on the M8 feels like a brick, where the S4 was very feather light in comparison. And turning it on, the S4 with the bottom home button, I was so used to pressing then and then swiping hand to turn on the screen. The M8 has knock on, which is ok, but I don't like it that much, and then the power button on top to turn screen on, is a little pain.

But the M8 has a very beautiful LCD screen, and looks great outdoors. The speed of the M8 is crazy fast. And Sense 6 looks really good, almost like stock Android, but lightly improved or touched up. Where as Touchwiz on my S4 was an ugly mess. The settings on the Galaxy S4 was a cluster**** design, where as the Sense 6 settings menu is smart and clean looking.

But I did see a coworker with a new S5, and I did get a little jealous of it, the screen looked pretty dang sweet and his all black S5 phone in a black case, looked stealth bad ass cool :cool: The M8 in dark gray, doesn't really have an exact color matching case, so with a case on the M8 it really loose the coolness big time, this M8 looks best naked, as soon as a case it put on it, the great design disappears.

Only thing keeping me back from the S5, is ATT, and no Root, and I know for sure no bootloader unlock coming ever, but at least basic Root I need on a phone. How do you use a phone with all that crapwear installed without removing it ? And I can't afford the $700 to buy an off contract S5, plus I think that's outrageous to pay, I'd just wait for the One+ or Nexus 6 for $399.

So bottom line, is the ATT S5 worth it over the M8, if I like the lighter weight, the home button to turn it on, the gorgeous screen, and stealth look of the black design ? But with no Root, not sure I can live with that ? But then I do love Sense 6, and the ROM'ing I can do on the M8, and battery life has been off the charts good on this M8 with my rooted settings, which battery life is extremely important to me.

So ... ?

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Just outside of Manchester UK
But I did see a coworker with a new S5, and I did get a little jealous of it, the screen looked pretty dang sweet and his all black S5 phone in a black case, looked stealth bad ass cool :cool: The M8 in dark gray, doesn't really have an exact color matching case, so with a case on the M8 it really loose the coolness big time, this M8 looks best naked, as soon as a case it put on it, the great design disappears.

Only thing keeping me back from the S5, is ATT, and no Root, and I know for sure no bootloader unlock coming ever, but at least basic Root I need on a phone. How do you use a phone with all that crapwear installed without removing it ? And I can't afford the $700 to buy an off contract S5, plus I think that's outrageous to pay, I'd just wait for the One+ or Nexus 6 for $399.

So bottom line, is the ATT S5 worth it over the M8, if I like the lighter weight, the home button to turn it on, the gorgeous screen, and stealth look of the black design ? But with no Root, not sure I can live with that ? But then I do love Sense 6, and the ROM'ing I can do on the M8, and battery life has been off the charts good on this M8 with my rooted settings, which battery life is extremely important to me.

So ... ?

So it all comes down to a case..... Face/Palm

Read your post back - you kinda answer your own question

Last edited:

eallan

Apr 23, 2010
I vote absolutely not. I'm never going back to anywhere near touchwiz. You'll miss the speakers and build. Get the nexus 5 if you want light and better buttons.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
I will say, the M8 feels very premium in the hand, and the screen is extremely crisp, bright, and clear looking, was great outdoors yesterday at a family party in the backyard, could see the M8 screen easily during the day, and I NEVER could see well outdoors with the S4. My old S4 feels like a kids plastic toy, compared to the luxury feel of the M8. And Sense 6 with the Black / White colors, looks very professional and polished, compared to the butt ugly nasty Touchwiz on my S4.

But I haven't really played with an S5 much, so I am comparing my M8 to S4 which isn't fair.

I just miss the lightweight feel of the S4, with the rounded corners, felt very good in the palm of the hand.

But this M8 has amazing battery life, almost near that of my old Note 2. Plus if I want a Nexus feel, I can easily flash the M8 GPE ROM which is great to have that option. But the water resistance and dust proof tech in the S5 is a very useful feature, as is the lighter feel in the hand, even with a case on the S5 will weigh less than the naked M8.

mm79k

Jul 15, 2006
15 grams separate the M8 from the S5

I don't think thats even noticeable!

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
You do know you can just Swype the m8 to unlock? My wife has s5 because she wanted the watch. It is very nice but in my opinion it is no comparison to my m8. That thing has bloat for days. No way to root it yet. Great camera but when you go to text a pic it compresses so much it looks terrible. No one wants to email all their pics. This was a problem with the s4 too. It's your choice but if you like to change up your phone, stay with the m8.

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
Good points. Yeah my S4 I was starting to hate lately. Cheap slimy plastic back. And TW on the S4 was butt ugly.

ILS_SuperNova

May 3, 2010
Until Samsung change things up I have no desire to go for the S series . . . The Note 4 is suppose to be changing design but again it will just copy the S5 features wise . . .
S5 didn't even interest me at all . .I was going for M8 or Z2 to be honest . . Not at all sad that I chose the M8!
I'd keep hold !!

clockwork.satan

Nov 17, 2010
Saw the bosses S5 earlier today. Had to try really hard to mock him for not getting the M8.

In terms of build quality and sheer sexy gadget appeal, the M8 blows the S5 clean out of the water.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
This is my first workday with the M8. Holy sh!t AMAZING battery life. Right now unplugged off charger for 12h 48m and battery is at 57%. And I used the phone a good amount today too, all on 4G today, no Wi-Fi. Wow that's really good.

How can I see the On Screen time ? I am guessing has to be at least 3h screen on time today for me, and still have 50% battery left to go :)

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Thread Closed

I'm closing this, just like other similar threads, as we don't allow comparison threads.
We don't allow these threads as it can very easily lead to heated debates/arguments about which phone is the "best". It's also an open opportunity for fanboy trolls to come along and ruin such threads.
Also, asking in the M8 forum will undoubtedly bring bias results as most people in this section either have the M8 or are getting the M8.

If you wish to ask such a question, please use the existing Device Suggestion Thread!

Regards,
- KidCarter93
Forum Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have fun with your dinky speakers.

I mean SPEAKER. Not all flagships come with two.

HTC UltimEight ?