rooting And tethering

Search This thread

xRoyle

Jun 1, 2014
I have had my z2 for a while now and have been contemplating rooting it the whole time. The main things that's put me off is that the Barclay's app will not work with a rooted device and that's probably the single most useful app I have ever used... However I've come across a new problem which is making me want/need to root more than ever before. My provider (three UK) used to have an amazing contract with unlimited data AND unlimited tethering / hotspot. Unfortunately when I upgraded to my z2, they failed to tell me that whilst I have unlimited data, my tethering is now limited to 2GB a month without even the opportunity to buy more if I need some.
What happens now if I have my laptop connected to my phone is that I will get a text from three every 5 minutes or so saying that I'm over my tethering limit and then when I try to go to w page on my laptop, it ends up with a three page saying that I'm out of data.
I've tried a root free app that was supposed to work but it ended up doing exactly the same thing, so three knew I was using My phone as a hotspot and stopped it.
With a rooted device can I tether without limits? Or will three know what's going on a stop me again?

Suppose I might as well ask this as well; Is there a way I could get the Barclay's app to think the phone isn't rooted so it will work again?

Cheers!

olafs93

Dec 1, 2011
Barnsley
Looks like you've got sane reason I still have rooted my z2 dammit barclays :mad:
Regarding the tethering have you tried foxfi?

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xRoyle

Jun 1, 2014
Looks like you've got sane reason I still have rooted my z2 dammit barclays :mad:
Regarding the tethering have you tried foxfi?

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I know! It was the same case on my iPhone, I couldn't jailbreak because I lost the Barclay's app. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't use it like a million times a day. Its by far the most useful app I've ever had. XD

U tried foxfi before but unfortunately it didn't work, ive come across clockworkmod tether though and it works without issues. So if anyone else is having the same problem that's my reccomendation! :)

I only use tethering because I'm in the forces and we can't get WiFi in my block but Id rather like to play league in my downtime.. Hopefully its not enough to trigger three into looking at my account, anyone know?