Kindle Fire Update

Search This thread

PurpleSh4rk

Nov 24, 2011
Amazon just pushed 6.2.1 to devices. It breaks any rooted devices and superoneclick no longer works it gets stuck on step #7 with this error:

export TEMPRANDOM=11153;export PS1=END:$TEMPRANDOM;mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/system /system

mount: Operation not permitted

END:11153export PS1=""

Hopefully an updated root solution will be created soon.

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
Yep, just got an update pushed to my device, and oneclick no longer works. Great.

Seriously, I think I'm gonna return this thing. Get a Transformer, or even just get a BlackBerry PlayBook instead until something better comes out (that I feel is worth dropping a lot of money on).

PurpleSh4rk

Nov 24, 2011
Yep, just got an update pushed to my device, and oneclick no longer works. Great.

Seriously, I think I'm gonna return this thing. Get a Transformer, or even just get a BlackBerry PlayBook instead until something better comes out (that I feel is worth dropping a lot of money on).

Do not get a playbook! That is the worst device out there! I used it for a day and its just a huge dissapointment. Its depressing to use. I immediately returned it and I never want one even if it is free.

The transformer prime on the other hand is pretty awesome. Ive preordered mine and I'm really excited about it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

sl0ttedpig

Nov 18, 2011
Wisconsin
The moment I found out this I went back too cm7

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm on CM7 too, so quite glad at the moment (even if I don't like it that much)! :D I'm sure some bright spark will fix zergrush, or come up with another exploit to use. Has anyone tried gingerbreak, or the other option instead of running it as auto?

I will look at the wife's one who is stock, and see if she got the update...and may try this out.

sgood1971

Jan 31, 2011
Parkersburg, WV
I have Amazon update server pointing to localhost in my hosts file. I have not received an update yet. Has anyone been updated using this method?

slim_thumb

Mar 19, 2011
freeze OTASilentInstall

The first time I switched on my KF about 2 weeks ago it automatically updated to 6.2 firmware as soon as I hooked it up to wifi. 6.2 still allows superoneclick rooting.

Thank goodness I used root uninstaller to freeze OTASilentInstall immediately after rooting my KF (rooting is required for this app). I did not get any forced FW update and my KF remains in 6.2 and rooted.

I guess future new stocks of KF with the newest FW will not be rootable until someone finds a new method. Anyone who just bought a KF MUST NOT hook it up to the wifi immediately, otherwise it will update the FW autonatically, making it unrootable. You should first check the FW version (cogwheel icon in top right corner -> More -> Device -> System version) and see that it is 6.2 or lower. Then you should follow the guide to root the KF, and side-load and install root uninstaller in order to freeze the OTASilentInstall and stop the forced FW update. Then you can hook up to wifi and have fun on the internet!

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
I have Amazon update server pointing to localhost in my hosts file. I have not received an update yet. Has anyone been updated using this method?

I did the same but didn't know if it would actually block it.

So far I have not gotten it.

I also have TWRP 2.0 with FIREFIREFIRE on my KF. Not sure the update will work with that.

sl0ttedpig

Nov 18, 2011
Wisconsin
Wife didn't get the update yet, so I quickly rooted, and renamed the OTASilentInstall.apk to .bak, rebooted, and we'll see what happens. I'm not overly confident about the hosts fix, but within the next day or so I guess we'll see which ones work. Maybe by then we'll be able to re-root in any case. :)

Last edited:

defyiant

Nov 30, 2011
I'm glad that I went to cm7 hopefully the higher up's find away sound this

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Hellcat6

Dec 3, 2011
Canton, OH
Well I didn't get to mine before it installed the update. Noticed no one talked about what it actually did. Quick look shows there is more to the "more" menu now. Now in settings you also see sounds, Display, Restrictions (what is that about?), wireless network, keyboard. Think these are all new but not sure. Under device, there is now a seperate bar for app storage and internal storage. Seems like Market is not working and root is gone.

neilrl79

Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
Well I didn't get to mine before it installed the update. Noticed no one talked about what it actually did. Quick look shows there is more to the "more" menu now. Now in settings you also see sounds, Display, Restrictions (what is that about?), wireless network, keyboard. Think these are all new but not sure. Under device, there is now a seperate bar for app storage and internal storage. Seems like Market is not working and root is gone.

Sounds, display, wireless network and keyboard are in 6.2 but I don't see restrictions so that must be new.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope, it is grayed out.

You can sideload it by downloading it and placing it in the kindleupdates folder on your Kindle via a PC or downloading it to your Kindle and using a filemanager to move it into the folder. Link below:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-6.2.1_D01E_3103920.bin
    Amazon didn't do this update to break root and piss off the rooted users, it fixed security holes. Is it annoying, yes, but this is NOT a fully open Android tablet and was never advertised as such. Buying it to use for another purpose and then complaining when an update meant for 99.9% of users breaks something is a bit odd. They will get root again soon I'm sure.

Sent from my Gingervolt-ed VS910 4G using xda premium
    Excellent. Now that I have TWRP installed, can you point me at a place I can learn how to actually use it? SOme of the threads I've read assume I have a certain level of experience with this, and while I AM a quick learner. I think my first go-through will require a bit of hand-holding.

Basically I'd like to learn how to use TWRP to make the backup I am supposed to be making, and then load the file I am supposed to be loading. I expect I'll have to catch on quickly for the 6.3 update or whatever else amazon does to lock me out but for now I'd love the assist :)

Real basic...

o reboot the device.
    o when the Triangle pops up, press the power button once or twice until it turns orange. Then leave it alone.
    o when TWRP comes up, you will have a menu.
    o On the Menu, select backup..
    o On the backup screen, use the defaults (System, Data, boot, enable compression)... press Backup Now.

When the backup is done, it is done.

You can then go back to the main menu and use reboot and then System to get back to the KF system.

Loading an image is typically...

o Place the image you were told to load onto the /sdcard area
    o Boot into the Recovery like before
    o Select Load which will give you a menu of what it finds.
    o Select the image.
    o Wipe depends on what you are doing, normally the instructions will say.
    o do it...

Getting back after the reboot would be the same.
    It's a damned good thing Amazon is closing the "root" hole. I personally thought it was ridiculous my out off the box tablet was totally insecure and I couldn't trust it with my email.

I don't think it should be so easy to root. Does no one else think that was an issue? I've been turning adb off to keep my device safer in case I leave it somewhere.

You'd think a forum full of mostly tech savvy users would understand the security gaff that is shipping a device with a known flaw. Do you all install OS updates regularly?

Yes there's always going too be a way to get at the data unless it's encrypted. I for one am glad it is harder. Now hopefully we'll see an ics port soon so I can really encrypt this thing.

PS, it's fairly easy to force downgrade firmware installs by renaming an update file. Get the software you need then stop worrying about maintaining root. Enjoy the cheap tablet. if you need to tinker all day load an alternative ROM or buy an alternative tablet. This one is for email, Web browsing, reading, and shopping (it's a **** poor media player).

Thanks Amazon. Do love the device.

There are two solutions for your problem.

1. Don't leave your device anywhere (obviously)
    2. Get an app which you can controll the device from your PC (e.g. Lookout pro), using such an app, will allow you to erase all data from the device while on your pc.

You argument is invalid. Rooting should be easy. Android is open source. If want a hard to root device, get a friggin iPhone / iPad and try to jailbreak it. Android is open source and source should be open.
    @featurecreature make sure you don't connect it to wifi before you root - after root either freeze, rename or delete OTASilentInstall.apk