[Q] Galaxy S2 Soft Bricked after root....

Search This thread

addamT989

Jun 14, 2013
Hi everyone!! New here, but not new to Forums in general. I searched around and couldn't find my exact issue, so I figured I’d start a new thread. This is gonna be kinda long, but I wanna give as many details as I can to keep things accurate.

My wife and I both have the Galaxy S2 T989 (T-Mobile). Both purchased like new off eBay. When I got hers a couple months ago, as soon as I got it I factory reset and wiped the caches, upgraded to JB via Kies, and then turned right around and rooted it via Odin using the instructions found on galaxys2root.com. Everything went flawless, took me less than a half an hour total for everything. I got mine a couple months later and did the exact same process as soon as I got it in the mail. However after rooting on Odin and getting the green pass just like hers, it got stuck in a boot loop when it rebooted. It would go as far as the "galaxy S2" splash screen, and sometimes past that to where the Android takes off, then reboot, or freeze. It then became unresponsive to any button pushes and I had to pull the battery to get it to shut off (The battery is a new OEM Samsung battery incidentally). I ultimately had to unroot, re-install ICS and re-upgrade back to JB via Kies again to get out of the loop. I did this whole process 3 times to make sure it wasn’t something I did. So I’m still running unrooted with JB on it now.

The only thing I noted that was kinda odd was that when I open Rom Manager in my current non rooted state, it shows that I already have CWM and TWRP installed on it. Even though when I go to recovery mode it's the standard OEM Samsung menu. I never installed TWRP, and CWM was only on it for a bit when I was in the boot loop. Could this be my issue? Are they both still somewhere on my phone interfering with each other and I can only see them via ROM manager?

Sorry for such a long first post, and thanks in advance!:)

borakx

Jun 5, 2013
Phnom Penh
Hi everyone!! New here, but not new to Forums in general. I searched around and couldn't find my exact issue, so I figured I’d start a new thread. This is gonna be kinda long, but I wanna give as many details as I can to keep things accurate.

My wife and I both have the Galaxy S2 T989 (T-Mobile). Both purchased like new off eBay. When I got hers a couple months ago, as soon as I got it I factory reset and wiped the caches, upgraded to JB via Kies, and then turned right around and rooted it via Odin using the instructions found on galaxys2root.com. Everything went flawless, took me less than a half an hour total for everything. I got mine a couple months later and did the exact same process as soon as I got it in the mail. However after rooting on Odin and getting the green pass just like hers, it got stuck in a boot loop when it rebooted. It would go as far as the "galaxy S2" splash screen, and sometimes past that to where the Android takes off, then reboot, or freeze. It then became unresponsive to any button pushes and I had to pull the battery to get it to shut off (The battery is a new OEM Samsung battery incidentally). I ultimately had to unroot, re-install ICS and re-upgrade back to JB via Kies again to get out of the loop. I did this whole process 3 times to make sure it wasn’t something I did. So I’m still running unrooted with JB on it now.

The only thing I noted that was kinda odd was that when I open Rom Manager in my current non rooted state, it shows that I already have CWM and TWRP installed on it. Even though when I go to recovery mode it's the standard OEM Samsung menu. I never installed TWRP, and CWM was only on it for a bit when I was in the boot loop. Could this be my issue? Are they both still somewhere on my phone interfering with each other and I can only see them via ROM manager?

Try flash a stock firmware by using flashtool, it will work 100%:angel:

Reactions: addamT989

pierm

Oct 18, 2012
Roma
revernwe therefore

hi,
can 'be that your device has some residual old. Do as you have advised. install a stock rom and firmware, so it becomes a new cell phone. After odin starts TWRP (much better) and root.

Reactions: addamT989

Eternalty

Apr 17, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I would flash a complete bone stock Rom using Odin and start over. Also rom manager was highly discouraged on the AT&T version of the s2 so I don't know what the stance is on T-Mobile's version

Sent from my CLEAN Note ll

addamT989

Jun 14, 2013
I would flash a complete bone stock Rom using Odin and start over. Also rom manager was highly discouraged on the AT&T version of the s2 so I don't know what the stance is on T-Mobile's version

Sent from my CLEAN Note ll

Thanks for the advice! Should i flash it back to ICS then try to root again via Odin before i upgrade back to JB? I'm guessing there's something that isn't getting wiped. Since i can run CWM and Root with Odin without a hitch. it's the initial reboot after all that is done that I go into the boot loop.

Last edited:

addamT989

Jun 14, 2013
tainiun rioters

hi,
can 'be that your device has some residual old. Do as you have advised. install a stock rom and firmware, so it becomes a new cell phone. After odin starts TWRP (much better) and root.

Sorry for my ignorrance, what exactly is TWRP, and is it now on there because i used Odin and it installed it automaticly? And do i want to use this vice CWM?

addamT989

Jun 14, 2013
One more question...before i try all this, can i backup everything on Kies just like i would be able to with CWM and reinstall if my root fails again? I've only used Kies for firmware upgrade, never to reinstall a backed up copy of my phone.

Thanks!

pierm

Oct 18, 2012
Roma
Sorry for my ignorrance, what exactly is TWRP, and is it now on there because i used Odin and it installed it automaticly? And do i want to use this vice CWM?

One more question...before i try all this, can i backup everything on Kies just like i would be able to with CWM and reinstall if my root fails again? I've only used Kies for firmware upgrade, never to reinstall a backed up copy of my phone.

Thanks!

Hi

TWRP and the 'one touch recovery, better than CWM.
The backup kies can not recover from CWM
steps:
install odin, after recovery, nandroid backup, ROM, and root.
hi

migimantas

Oct 25, 2013
freezes then booted

Hello I have this problem with my galaxy s2 i9100. After reboot the phone wasn't booting something like "boot loop" so I re flashed the firmware and now the phone boots up but after the boot it freezes immediately. So I decided to install clock work mod recovery and install cyanogen mode 11 with cyanogen mode the phone boots up and are able to be used again until the screen goes to sleep mode or the power button is pressed then the screen goes black and doesn't turn on after long pressing the power button it reboots. So I don't know what else to do I have tried kernels, operating systems re flashing reseting and nothing helps. No need to tel me to do resettings. Also my galaxy s2 i9100 chip has insane chip bug but I don't know if it has to do something with my problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try flash a stock firmware by using flashtool, it will work 100%:angel:
    revernwe therefore

hi,