How Not To Brick Your E4GT (UPDATED 10/13/12)

Search This thread

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
-PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ASKING, OR STATING ANYTHING OR YOU WILL BE TROLLED (BADLY)
-YOU, AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU'RE ACTIONS. IF YOU FLASH AND BRICK YOU'RE PHONE, ONLY YOU ARE TO BLAME.
Sorry guys it's been a while since I've been able to update this thread, I'm extremely glad to see that it's being used throughout the E4GT community. Well I guess it's time to update this so lets get started, and please forgive me if I miss anything as I have been on ICS mainly for a long time.

-Are you on a rom with a stock recovery or with a kernel released prior to SOURCE? Use Odin buddy!
Just because we have source now, does not mean you can't still brick you're device. In fact many people are still on ICS builds prior to FF18 or newer, this includes people using stock kernels as well. Do not use the recovery on you're phone to do anything, The stock recovery is meant for files signed by Samsung and only Samsung, Roms prior to source with a custom recovery had the dreaded EMMC bug which would brick some people with a simple wipe. If any of the above applies to you and you wish to get back to GB or ICS then click on the following link that corresponds to you're desire and follow the steps.

EL29 One Click Link Below

ICS FF18 (Original ICS OTA update) Link Below

ICS FI27 (Newest ICS OTA update) Link Below

-After you install the .Tar file to you're phone, you'll need to install a custom recovery using a Auto Root Package found below, just follow the instructions. (use the FF18 Combo to install a custom recovery on the FI27 version)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342728
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Wanna flash to ICS from GB?
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Simply pick the ICS rom you wish to use and flash using the OP's instructions. The issue of flashing to ICS from GB never really existed. If you are still worried about the risks of flashing to ICS, then use the Odin One Click method above and you're guaranteed fine.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

-Wanna Flash to GB from ICS?(includes restoring backups to GB roms too)
This is where issues began to occur, prior to source release. The EMMC bug was present during the ICS leaks leading up to source release FF18 (FF18 OTA not being the issue). If you are on a rom which already contains a source kernel (FF18 and newer) Flashing to GB is the same as flashing to another rom, just follow the OP's instructions. If you're on a leaked rom with a stock recovery, or custom recovery, use the Odin One Click method to get back to GB or ICS. DO NOT WIPE IN NON-SOURCE KERNELS--- EVER

-Wanna Flash Good ol' CyanogenMod, or Something else AOSP?

Always use the EL26CWM kernel to flash AOSP roms. I myself, have flashed CyanogenMod 9 with multiple non-CWM kernels without issues, but better safe then sorry right? Thanks to rwilco12, we now have a repository for kernels, and modems so give him a big thanks. You can find the EL26 CWM kernel here.

http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com/?dir=Kernels/Recovery Kernels/GB/Chris41g/Stock CWM

Simply download the rom you wish to flash, as well as the EL26CWM kernel. Flash the kernel, and reboot back into the recovery. When you're phone restarts back into recovery press up, down, up, down with you're volume buttons to enable the selection button (power on/off button). Now flash the rom USING THE RECOMMENDED FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS. Instructions of roms may differ from others so be sure to read the Original Post by the dev before flashing.

-Are you on an AOSP rom and you wish to flash to a TW rom or other?
Follow the same instructions for flashing to an AOSP rom, except replace the AOSP rom with the rom of you're choice. You can also use the One Click Odin Method from before. I have used both of these methods for flashing a different rom while on AOSP multiple times without any issues whatsoever.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Bricking Info

MISC
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
-Stick with source kernels and you should be safe
-Stay away from touch recovery, unless it's source-based
-Stay away from Rom manager, It's not, and probably never will be optimized for our phone

-Thanks
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Calkulin, Mijj,all of Team Venom, all of Team Rejectz, agat, good ol' ruj22, rwilco12, garwynn, Ja5on for the title, all devs, and themers

Last edited:

Ja5oN

Dec 16, 2011
[waiting for location]
Hey xST4T1K, great idea for a thread man, and great accumulation of information. As it seems, I have seen quite a few bricked devices in the Q&A lately. Hopefully new members of this community will take a moment to read this and understand some of the problems that others are having in hopes that it will help at least one person from brickin' their celly. Thanks again xST4T1K...

Last edited:

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
Hey xST4T1K, great idea for a thread man, and great accumulation of information. As it seems, I have seen quite a few bricked devices in the Q&A lately. Hopefully new members of this community will take a moment to read this and understand some of the problems that others are having in hopes that it will help at least one person from brickin' their celly. Thanks again xST4T1K...

No problem man, If you have anything to add please feel free, I know I missed some things I'm sure, but glad you like it!

Reactions: ijoshv2

stonesaber

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Some of us, myself included , bricked by using odin. I'm very experienced in modding my phones and I bricked one, so its not a lack of knowledge that caused this. I was going from one of the ics builds back to a stock rooted rom using one of sfhubs all in one odin packages and it some how screwed up the data partition. I had done it several times without issue so it surprised me when it bricked it. I think that I was using the touch recovery when it happened but I'm not positive. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
Some of us, myself included , bricked by using odin. I'm very experienced in modding my phones and I bricked one, so its not a lack of knowledge that caused this. I was going from one of the ics builds back to a stock rooted rom using one of sfhubs all in one odin packages and it some how screwed up the data partition. I had done it several times without issue so it surprised me when it bricked it. I think that I was using the touch recovery when it happened but I'm not positive. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

Actually, more then likely your device isn't bricked, sfhub helped someone else with the same issue unbrick they're device. Look around the q&a section and you'll find it. I also mentioned touch recovery as a possible issue, gotta read broski. Doesn't matter how experienced you are, you can still have a brick with one wrong move, even devs brick sometimes, I've been doing this for 5 years now and even I almost did the other day.

stonesaber

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Actually, more then likely your device isn't bricked, sfhub helped someone else with the same issue unbrick they're device. Look around the q&a section and you'll find it. I also mentioned touch recovery as a possible issue, gotta read broski. Doesn't matter how experienced you are, you can still have a brick with one wrong move, even devs brick sometimes, I've been doing this for 5 years now and even I almost did the other day.

There was nothing to read. I was one of the first. I tried everything before finally sending it to Josh at mobiletechvideos.com. It's on the way back and should be here @ Sat. According to him in the main tread though, even he was unable to repair it but he didn't mention mine being un-repairable in the emails he sent me. I'll find out soon and let everyone know.

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
There was nothing to read. I was one of the first. I tried everything before finally sending it to Josh at mobiletechvideos.com. It's on the way back and should be here @ Sat. According to him in the main tread though, even he was unable to repair it but he didn't mention mine being un-repairable in the emails he sent me. I'll find out soon and let everyone know.

Calm down buddy! just be more careful when flashing that's all, and stay away from touch recovery, even Steady debated pulling the link because of bricking issues.

stonesaber

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Calm down buddy! just be more careful when flashing that's all, and stay away from touch recovery, even Steady debated pulling the link because of bricking issues.

I'm perfectly calm. As stated, I was one of the first to brick using touch recovery so even if the link was pulled, it would've been too late for me. I do not need anyone jumping to conclusions without having the facts. That is all.

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
I'm perfectly calm. As stated, I was one of the first to brick using touch recovery so even if the link was pulled, it would've been too late for me. I do not need anyone jumping to conclusions without having the facts. That is all.

Completely understand now, didn't know how long ago you bricked so sorry for the assumption, hope you get it restored. I know this thread may not solve everyone's issue but please understand that I put it up so people were aware that things may be an issue

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
This is great to see before I start flashing thank you

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

At least you took the time to read this before posting another thread that you bricked you phone doing the same thing others are doing and not reading first..... My hats off to you good sir

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sheldon_

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
At least you took the time to read this before posting another thread that you bricked you phone doing the same thing others are doing and not reading first..... My hats off to you good sir

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Agreed, too many people are getting flash happy and not paying attention to the forums anymore

Reactions: Sheldon_

brennam7

Nov 23, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
I've bricked mine a different way. Was playing around with a CM9 test build, and bricked mine pretty good. I can get to odin and recovery, and sometimes it will loop the boot animation infinitely.

Everytime i try a OC odin, it hangs at data.img forever, i can't restore any rom, tried reflashing the rom that 'broke' my phone, not sure where else to head. looking like $35 at sprint ain't too shabby

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ASKING, OR STATING ANYTHING OR YOU WILL BE TROLLED (BADLY)
    -YOU, AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU'RE ACTIONS. IF YOU FLASH AND BRICK YOU'RE PHONE, ONLY YOU ARE TO BLAME.
    Sorry guys it's been a while since I've been able to update this thread, I'm extremely glad to see that it's being used throughout the E4GT community. Well I guess it's time to update this so lets get started, and please forgive me if I miss anything as I have been on ICS mainly for a long time.

-Are you on a rom with a stock recovery or with a kernel released prior to SOURCE? Use Odin buddy!
    Just because we have source now, does not mean you can't still brick you're device. In fact many people are still on ICS builds prior to FF18 or newer, this includes people using stock kernels as well. Do not use the recovery on you're phone to do anything, The stock recovery is meant for files signed by Samsung and only Samsung, Roms prior to source with a custom recovery had the dreaded EMMC bug which would brick some people with a simple wipe. If any of the above applies to you and you wish to get back to GB or ICS then click on the following link that corresponds to you're desire and follow the steps.

EL29 One Click Link Below

ICS FF18 (Original ICS OTA update) Link Below

ICS FI27 (Newest ICS OTA update) Link Below

-After you install the .Tar file to you're phone, you'll need to install a custom recovery using a Auto Root Package found below, just follow the instructions. (use the FF18 Combo to install a custom recovery on the FI27 version)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342728

-Wanna flash to ICS from GB?
    Simply pick the ICS rom you wish to use and flash using the OP's instructions. The issue of flashing to ICS from GB never really existed. If you are still worried about the risks of flashing to ICS, then use the Odin One Click method above and you're guaranteed fine.

-Wanna Flash to GB from ICS?(includes restoring backups to GB roms too)
    This is where issues began to occur, prior to source release. The EMMC bug was present during the ICS leaks leading up to source release FF18 (FF18 OTA not being the issue). If you are on a rom which already contains a source kernel (FF18 and newer) Flashing to GB is the same as flashing to another rom, just follow the OP's instructions. If you're on a leaked rom with a stock recovery, or custom recovery, use the Odin One Click method to get back to GB or ICS. DO NOT WIPE IN NON-SOURCE KERNELS--- EVER

-Wanna Flash Good ol' CyanogenMod, or Something else AOSP?

Always use the EL26CWM kernel to flash AOSP roms. I myself, have flashed CyanogenMod 9 with multiple non-CWM kernels without issues, but better safe then sorry right? Thanks to rwilco12, we now have a repository for kernels, and modems so give him a big thanks. You can find the EL26 CWM kernel here.

http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com/?dir=Kernels/Recovery Kernels/GB/Chris41g/Stock CWM

Simply download the rom you wish to flash, as well as the EL26CWM kernel. Flash the kernel, and reboot back into the recovery. When you're phone restarts back into recovery press up, down, up, down with you're volume buttons to enable the selection button (power on/off button). Now flash the rom USING THE RECOMMENDED FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS. Instructions of roms may differ from others so be sure to read the Original Post by the dev before flashing.

-Are you on an AOSP rom and you wish to flash to a TW rom or other?
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Follow the same instructions for flashing to an AOSP rom, except replace the AOSP rom with the rom of you're choice. You can also use the One Click Odin Method from before. I have used both of these methods for flashing a different rom while on AOSP multiple times without any issues whatsoever.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Bricking Info

MISC
    -Stick with source kernels and you should be safe
    -Stay away from touch recovery, unless it's source-based
    -Stay away from Rom manager, It's not, and probably never will be optimized for our phone

-Thanks
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Calkulin, Mijj,all of Team Venom, all of Team Rejectz, agat, good ol' ruj22, rwilco12, garwynn, Ja5on for the title, all devs, and themers
    IMO most people actually do read. However we get a skewed view because the ones who successfully installed don't post a new thread saying yay, I flashed ICS successfully, or yay, I just rooted my phone. The ones that post the new threads are the ones saying I just bricked my phone, sometimes not even understanding what that means since in their eyes not booting equals brick.

There are so many people with this phone though that if just 5% don't read before doing things it will seem like a lot of people don't read, despite 95% being careful. 5% of 100 users is just 5 "brick" posts. 5% of 1000000 users could be 50,000 posts.

I am obviously just making up the numbers to illustrate a point and don't claim any accuracy. This is just my opinion based on maintaining the Auto Root thread where I do actually see people posting success stories.

While there are good percentage of bricks from newbies, ironically, quite a few are also from experienced users who are coming from other platforms where things were done differently. While many newbies are naturally a little cautious in the beginning, if you have experience on other Android phones, that may give you confidence to skim instructions rather than reading them through. Also you might be used to tools from your past platform which aren't that well tested on Epic 4G Touch.

Until the last month I've actually never seen so many people pushing ROM Manager as their tool of choice. I just chalk it up to all the Evo users coming off their 2yr contracts and jumping to Samsung.

Then you have the excitement over ICS and people not realizing that Intl GS2 is not the same thing as Epic 4G Touch. People got tempted by the Apple.
    So, let me make sure I have this right, at least based on everything I have read:

ICS (particularly Linux 3 kernel) + Non-ODIN partitioning solution currently is bad news.

GB + any partitioning solution (CWM, CWMT, ODIN, MODIN) - G2G

ICS + ODIN - GTG.

If so then it would seem as long as I stay with stock ROMs that can be flashed by ODIN OC then I might be willing to try FC07 + Rooted as I can always go back to EL29 + Rooted.

Well to clarify, CWM doesn't do any partitioning. CWM only formats/wipes partitions. Partitioning is only done in Odin, when a PIT (Partition Information Table) file is used while flashing.

The brick problem appears to be occurring when you wipe/format data using CWM while on a ICS kernel. The problem seems to be more pervasive when formatting data using Temp CWM via ROM Manager, Touch CWM, and when on experimental CM9. This last one (CM9) may be a placebo, as it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. CM9 is the ROM, and when formatting with a Rogue CWM repack for example, I would think brick frequency would be the same as with a Samsung ICS leak. But from my observations, hard brick events seem to happen much more often when people are working with a CM9 build. I don't know what it is about CM9 but I just see more brick reports coming from that area.

So ...

GB to anything else via CWM that involves a data format = FINE

ICS to anything else via CWM that involves a data format = Potential Hard Brick

ICS to anything else via Odin = FINE

I'll be operating by this simple set of guidelines until this **** gets figured out or magically goes away.
    This is great to see before I start flashing thank you

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    I would like to say thank you and Greetings from me

sorry if I'm annoying and disrespectful inquire post message here, because I was so frustrated, I am a new user and is ignorant and blind to the android.

I just bought E4GT from the local market, with the android version ICS FI27,
    then through youtube QBking77 I did root and install CWM.
    because I am interested in the version leaked JB FK09 via youtube Qbking77 well,
    then I do flashing odin FK09 as exemplified in youtube by QBking77.
    without nanbackup or anythink. ( i think it was savely because i had installed CWM before)

in one day E4GT running smoothly and normally,
    but after that my E4GT hangs and reboots continue turn off the E4GT.
    so continue again and again.

what should I do? flashing my E4GT JB FK09 to GB EL29 ?
    I have been downloaded tar EL29, wanna do flash odin and follow the instructions there.
    however, when downloaded mode on my E4GT, on window flash restore odi EL29 on my PC show no response,
    did not show any indication "com/USB" or anything.

I had previously installed the usb driver and Kies software and have communication between the PC and the E4GT.
    there is no problem/issue with PC connection before.

I was expecting and is waiting for your advice, what should I do?

help from you so I would expect,

I say once again apologize profusely if I am intruding.

i very appreciate and thankfull for any help.

Thank you so much.

One thing you can try is leaving the phone unplugged, put it in odin (download) mode, go ahead and start pc Odin, Then connect your phone to pc and see if you get com port recognition. I have one laptop that I gave to do that with.
    Try it and see.
    Otherwise, you may have to uninstall then reinstall kies and drivers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2