Battery drain/not full charge

Search This thread

yami951

Feb 21, 2012
So I just got this 3800 mah battery at the beginning of January and I can't seem to get a full charge. It only charges to 84% now, and it won't even reset its cycles on the battery stats (see pic). I have tried full cycles of it, so I'm wondering if its possible to actually reset/format your battery, or even make it charge to a higher level. I know batteries have "minds" and they learn, but I don't think getting 5 hours on a 3800mah battery is a good thing. Thanks.

ejyva8up.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

ayo234

Nov 21, 2012
Does your og battery charge to 100? And have you done a factory reset on a battery calibration?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: yami951

yami951

Feb 21, 2012
Does your og battery charge to 100? And have you done a factory reset on a battery calibration?

So I just put in the stock battery and it only charged to 82%. I read somewhere that battery calibration (especially apps) doesn't really do anything. How could I go about resetting my battery data or stats? I appreciate the reply.

BTW, running AOKP unofficial 4.2.2 2-15 build, but it has been doing this since AOKP builds 1-3 of 4.2.1

Doomhamma

Sep 25, 2012
Siroki Brijeg, BiH
How long have you been using the battery? Perhaps it's "worn out" already? Can you try to set another battery ( the stock one ) and see if that one will charge to 100 %?
P.S. I see you've done the last thing mentioned ... Try to calibrate it out or wipe the battery stats in recovery

Feb 6, 2013
So I just put in the stock battery and it only charged to 82%. I read somewhere that battery calibration (especially apps) doesn't really do anything. How could I go about resetting my battery data or stats? I appreciate the reply.

BTW, running AOKP unofficial 4.2.2 2-15 build, but it has been doing this since AOKP builds 1-3 of 4.2.1

Battery calibration does matter. It's just that most people don't have the 3800mAh batt so they see no difference. I also have a 3800 battery so I think I could help you and test some things out if needed. If your battery is only charging to a max value, it sounds like you got BLE set to a max battery value. Check this with trickster mod. If that's not it, I recommend wiping battery stats using Battery Calibration by NeMa. (Charge to max, uncheck "wait til 100% option", fully discharge by running gallery in slideshow to drain your battery until phone automatically shuts down)

I'd like to know is if you got any system tuning programs or backup programs like titanium backup or something that you may have used to restore stuff on the rom, mess up system files. Also did you dirty flash when installing the rom. If yes to either of these, I would nandroid backup, then factory reset, wipe system, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, install rom, install gapps, charge your phone after booting without restoring anything and wiith airplane mode on. This might be a bug with aokp, but I suspect it's something else because this problem doesn't happen much anymore.

Hope this helps. Let us know what happens. :)

Last edited:

yami951

Feb 21, 2012
Battery calibration does matter. It's just that most people don't have the 3800mAh batt so they see no difference. I also have a 3800 battery so I think I could help you and test some things out if needed. If your battery is only charging to a max value, it sounds like you got BLE set to a max battery value. Check this with trickster mod. If that's not it, I recommend wiping battery stats using Battery Calibration by NeMa. (Charge to max, uncheck "wait til 100% option", fully discharge by running gallery in slideshow to drain your battery until phone automatically shuts down)

I'd like to know is if you got any system tuning programs or backup programs like titanium backup or something that you may have used to restore stuff on the rom, mess up system files. Also did you dirty flash when installing the rom. If yes to either of these, I would nandroid backup, then factory reset, wipe system, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, install rom, install gapps, charge your phone after booting without restoring anything and wiith airplane mode on. This might be a bug with aokp, but I suspect it's something else because this problem doesn't happen much anymore.

Awesome man thanks. I will give it a shot. I never dirty flash, but I always restore apps/data from titanium so that could definitely be it. Big thanks for the thorough explanations too.

yami951

Feb 21, 2012
. If your battery is only charging to a max value, it sounds like you got BLE set to a max battery value. Check this with trickster mod.

I can't seem to find this option with trickster mod. I thought there used to be an option on francos app too but I cant seem to find it on there now either.

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL

That app, and the long since debunked myth of wiping battery stats, are a waste of time and effort- neither has any bearing on battery charge indication. If the OP has tried a factory reset with no joy, the next thing to try software-wise would be a different kernel and/or rom. Going the hardware route, a different battery can be used to confirm whether or not the battery itself is defective or if the handset itself is damaged.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

I can't seem to find this option with trickster mod. I thought there used to be an option on francos app too but I cant seem to find it on there now either.

It is an option that is only available if the kernel supports BLE. If you don't see three option in Trickster, it's because the kernel you're using doesn't support it.

Per chance, where did you acquire the battery in question, and have you tried charging with the OEM battery installed in the phone?

Also, to clarify a misconception from the first post, lithium based batteries do not develop a memory as ni-cad batteries did. They do, however, have a finite number of cycles in their lifespan.

Last edited:

yami951

Feb 21, 2012
That app, and the long since debunked myth of wiping battery stats, are a waste of time and effort- neither has any bearing on battery charge indication. If the OP has tried a factory reset with no joy, the next thing to try software-wise would be a different kernel and/or rom. Going the hardware route, a different battery can be used to confirm whether or not the battery itself is defective or if the handset itself is damaged.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

It is an option that is only available if the kernel supports BLE. If you don't see three option in Trickster, it's because the kernel you're using doesn't support it.

Per chance, where did you acquire the battery in question, and have you tried charging with the OEM battery installed in the phone?

Also, to clarify a misconception from the first post, lithium based batteries do not develop a memory as ni-cad batteries did. They do, however, have a finite number of cycles in their lifespan.

That's what I originally thought, that calibration does nothing.
But my battery is the Hyperion 3800 purchased off of amazon. I did try to charge the OEM battery which will only charge to 82%.

Now if I did a factory reset, I would lose all backups on titanium? Or how would that differ from just wiping data and cache? I'm planning on flashing AOKP build 4 tonight, just ran titanium, would you suggest doing anything else while I try to get a fresh start?

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
But my battery is the Hyperion 3800 purchased off of amazon. I did try to charge the OEM battery which will only charge to 82%.

Now if I did a factory reset, I would lose all backups on titanium? Or how would that differ from just wiping data and cache? I'm planning on flashing AOKP build 4 tonight, just ran titanium, would you suggest doing anything else while I try to get a fresh start?

A factory reset will leave your backups untouched. Try a clean install without restoring any backups first. The way you detail your issue, however, it seems more likely to caused by a hardware problem with the phone's PMIC. If it's still under warranty, I'd restore to stock and seek an RMA.

Reactions: yami951

yami951

Feb 21, 2012
A factory reset will leave your backups untouched. Try a clean install without restoring any backups first. The way you detail your issue, however, it seems more likely to caused by a hardware problem with the phone's PMIC. If it's still under warranty, I'd restore to stock and seek an RMA.

Awesome, well I appreciate all the help. Been at this flashing business for a few years now but never had I had anything like this happen.

larrougos

Apr 17, 2010
Thessaloniki
www.haf-gaming.com
hi..i could not find more accurate thread for my problem.i own a galaxy nexus gsm maguro. the problem is that i cannot charge up to 100%..i charge until 81-84% .. i own one oem and one 1750mah battery.both of them the same thing!! i even did a full reset to google latest image 4.3!!! the same thing nothing changed.except that the battery drained slower!!any ideas??

yami951

Feb 21, 2012
hi..i could not find more accurate thread for my problem.i own a galaxy nexus gsm maguro. the problem is that i cannot charge up to 100%..i charge until 81-84% .. i own one oem and one 1750mah battery.both of them the same thing!! i even did a full reset to google latest image 4.3!!! the same thing nothing changed.except that the battery drained slower!!any ideas??

Yeah I ended up having to just bring my battery into Verizon and they replaced my phone. I literally tried everything, none of that "battery calibration" bs actually works. You may not have that luxury if you are using the phone on pre-paid/overseas because I don't know their policies, but Verizon didn't give me much hassle. As a last resort, you may try replacing the usb charging port, which all of that info can be found on ifixit.com.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.