[Q] Chances of official Android L?

Search This thread

code101

Dec 10, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
If this has been asked before then I apologize (and a mod can delete this question), but has anyone heard anything about us getting Android L (or 5.0 or Lemon Meringue Pie or whatever it's gonna be called)? I had a look around online and can't find any info other than a couple of sites from a while ago saying it'll get it but everything since then only refers to the S4 onwards. I'm guessing it might not get it as the phones now a few years old, even though it still is a superb phone and could run it OK.

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
Official Android L sounds highly unlikely to me when considering the age of this phone.

Now, a fork off of the original like CM11, AOKP, etc sounds more feasible.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I know I'm not a mod, so don't take this the wrong way but questions go in the Q&A section.

Also if you had searched the S3 section with the search field on this forum for "Android L", you would have found the answer when others asked. Again, not trying to be difficult, just letting you know for the future.

As far as I know, KitKat is supposed to be the last official release for this phone. Most phones only get updated for two years, so that's about right. I'm sure you'll find Android L versions of AOSP and CM12 eventually. Those always need debugging though, at first.

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Couldn't we just port Official Touchwiz Android L from a S4 or S5?

Ports are very hard work. Can be even when the hardware is similar but I don't think the S5 is similar enough making it really, really hard. Not impossible, mind you...

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Spark91

Feb 17, 2013
Minneapolis
Android L will never and is highly unlikely come to any samsung device ( Touchwiz UI / Interface ) due to Samsung already being adaptive into using Touchwiz.
On top of that, L uses the ART run-time as default, which Samsung will never have TW adapt to.
There might and will be a CM12 for this device but the CM Devs wanted to wait until Google fully releases a stable source for L ( L still in Dev Preview Alpha ), but until then that's a long long way off.

As what Warrior said. If it even does come out, it'll need tinkering with before any official nightly release. :(

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Android L will never and is highly unlikely come to any samsung device ( Touchwiz UI / Interface ) due to Samsung already being adaptive into using Touchwiz.
On top of that, L uses the ART run-time as default, which Samsung will never have TW adapt to.
There might and will be a CM12 for this device but the CM Devs wanted to wait until Google fully releases a stable source for L ( L still in Dev Preview Alpha ), but until then that's a long long way off.

As what Warrior said. If it even does come out, it'll need tinkering with before any official nightly release. :(

I just want to point out, and I apologize in advance - I'm not trying to argue with you.

Android L is just the next version of Android, without the official name or version number yet. The next letter after K(itKat). TouchWiz is just Samsung's tweaks to any version of Android. They'll have to put TouchWiz based on Android L on their latest phones and new ones to stay competitive.

They're not going to ignore Android L.

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

K

kernelpanic_

If this has been asked before then I apologize (and a mod can delete this question), but has anyone heard anything about us getting Android L (or 5.0 or Lemon Meringue Pie or whatever it's gonna be called)? I had a look around online and can't find any info other than a couple of sites from a while ago saying it'll get it but everything since then only refers to the S4 onwards. I'm guessing it might not get it as the phones now a few years old, even though it still is a superb phone and could run it OK.

I doubt there's going to be OFFICIAL L because the phone is two years old and that's when Samsung phones start dying off (Not from Cyanogenmod, AOSP/AOKP, etc)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I just want to point out, and I apologize in advance - I'm not trying to argue with you.

Android L is just the next version of Android, without the official name or version number yet. The next letter after K(itKat). TouchWiz is just Samsung's tweaks to any version of Android. They'll have to put TouchWiz based on Android L on their latest phones and new ones to stay competitive.

They're not going to ignore Android L.

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

Don't see why not, but it's a lot of work and need devs who are willing to dedicate their time to it.

It would be easier if porting from CDMA to CDMA, but if the kernel version changes, there is a lot of work to be done with drivers, too.
    Welcome to the forum. I know I'm not a mod, so don't take this the wrong way but questions go in the Q&A section.

Also if you had searched the S3 section with the search field on this forum for "Android L", you would have found the answer when others asked. Again, not trying to be difficult, just letting you know for the future.

As far as I know, KitKat is supposed to be the last official release for this phone. Most phones only get updated for two years, so that's about right. I'm sure you'll find Android L versions of AOSP and CM12 eventually. Those always need debugging though, at first.

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Ports are very hard work. Can be even when the hardware is similar but I don't think the S5 is similar enough making it really, really hard. Not impossible, mind you...

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

Official Android L sounds highly unlikely to me when considering the age of this phone.

Now, a fork off of the original like CM11, AOKP, etc sounds more feasible.
    I believe reading somewhere that officially kitkat is the final android version the S3 will get. Don't get your hopes up.