[boot.img] obsolete please lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Harry GT-S5830

Apr 9, 2012
Hi all. Quick notice:

Usual disclaimers apply.

This is an Unsecure boot.img I made for Android 4.2 on the Nexus 4.

Okay cool... but what is an insecure boot.img?

An insecure boot.img allows the device to be booted with permissions to be mounted as root. This is a way of being able to push SuperSU/Superuser.apk to /system/app and the Su Binaries to /bin

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
exit​

See more here: External Link
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To use this you must be unlocked, not familar with unlocking a Nexus device? Easy. In fastboot mode type "fastboot oem unlock" this wipes all data on the device (virtual sd included).

A nice article regarding this thread was published here: http://www.addictivetips.com/android/root-google-nexus-4-install-clockworkmod-recovery/

To boot this boot.img:
must be in the platform-tools folder in the android-sdk
must be in fastboot mode (power+vol-)

First use: fastboot boot "boot.img" (no ")
Why boot? I have not tested this image as I don't have a Nexus 4 as of yet.**

**Some users report flashing the image makes the phone in need of a fastboot stock flashing session, stick to booting for now.

Thank you for helping!
-fkrone
-Ranguvar
-USSENTERNCC1701E

This is mainly for development purposes to obtain root on this device, it will be an easier process when a recovery is published and you can flash a su.zip. (see attached)

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556426389
Note, this is in Nexus 7 folder as Nexus 4 does not have its own atm.

Please Lock!

Last edited:

Ranguvar

Jul 16, 2011
Rochester, NY
Anyone able to get me recovery.fstab from recovery image and ill try make a cwm6 touch recovery for us. :)

I wouldn't be lazy and do it myself but PC is off :eek:
Sent from a phone

sgs2ext4 doesn't work on the recovery.img and the image isn't mountable by itself in Windows.
Too lazy to reboot into Linux, for now.. any other way to crack it open?

Reactions: Harry GT-S5830

Harry GT-S5830

Apr 9, 2012
I've got the recovery.img, can I get the .fstab out without loop mounting? I don't have a linux machine set up right now.

Old fashioned HxD :D

See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=443994

I could probably do it without this, but it probably wouldn't mount data/media (what emulates the SD) so it would be relatively useless as that's where zips are

Also this might prove useful: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494036 (requires Cygwin or Linux environment)

Last edited:

Harry GT-S5830

Apr 9, 2012
Hell, I wouldn't trust myself to rip it out with a hex editor. I'm setting up a VM right now, but I could just upload the recovery.img for you. I pulled it out of the stock image that google uploaded today.

Cheers, that's where I had mine :p but I corrupted it :/ ill try pull it apart on the 600MHz wonder pico :p

Or perhaps not... 3.2" is too small for hex

Last edited:
Reactions: smenes

pikachukaki

Jan 27, 2012
Thessaloníki, Greece
Can i ask something as a future buyer of nexus 4 and older user of another phone...the fastboot is the "bootloader" (pink screen on my older phone) the state of the phone where i can connect it to my computer and see the folder containing the recovery.img boot.img...etc???

USSENTERNCC1701E

Sep 21, 2010
Logan
Can i ask something as a future buyer of nexus 4 and older user of another phone...the fastboot is the "bootloader" (pink screen on my older phone) the state of the phone where i can connect it to my computer and see the folder containing the recovery.img boot.img...etc???

That's not quite how it works. These .img files we are talking about are pictures of the stock version of those paritions. Try reading this article for an explanation of Android partitioning.

There is also a great graphic here. The site is in Spanish, I haven't used Google to translate it, but the picture there is in English. Take your time with it, there's a lot of info there.

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
To get into Fastboot mode, do you just hold the volume down button while powering on? Never used a Nexus device before. Have been strictly on HTC up until now. I'm picking up my Nexus 4 in the morning and don't mind trying, as long as there's a way to undo anything in case something goes wrong.

USSENTERNCC1701E

Sep 21, 2010
Logan
To get into Fastboot mode, do you just hold the volume down button while powering on? Never used a Nexus device before. Have been strictly on HTC up until now. I'm picking up my Nexus 4 in the morning and don't mind trying, as long as there's a way to undo anything in case something goes wrong.

Or you can enable adb and
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

The command
Code:
fastboot boot boot.img
is temporary. All it does is boot, one time only, the image you specify. Once you've mounted system as rw however, everything you do in /system before rebooting is permanent.

Reactions: Stryder5

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
Or you can enable adb and
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

The command
Code:
fastboot boot boot.img
is temporary. All it does is boot, one time only, the image you specify. Once you've mounted system as rw however, everything you do in /system before rebooting is permanent.

So does adding the su binaries and the superuser apk give you permanent root after this then?

And exactly what binaries are needed to gain root? I've never gained root using that method before so am a little unfamiliar in this territory.

USSENTERNCC1701E

Sep 21, 2010
Logan
So does adding the su binaries and the superuser apk give you permanent root after this then?

And exactly what binaries are needed to gain root? I've never gained root using that method before so am a little unfamiliar in this territory.

Woops, wrong thread.

Yes, if you push the su binary from a superuser flashable zip to /system/bin/ and chmod 0655, plus the superuser apk, you will have permanent root after.

Also, there is a recovery.img now, so you can test that out, if it works, flash it from fastboot, then flash a superuser zip from that recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stryder5

Harry GT-S5830

Apr 9, 2012
Thank you for getting it (recovery.fstab), looks like someone beat me to it though!

Sorry for late response I have to sleep as I'm in last school year :p

Ill cook up a recovery just to make your efforts worthwhile ;)

It's in OP, its probably 99.9% the same as the other guys so i'm not going to make duplicate thread, use who evers recovery you wish.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reason I say fastboot boot first is because it allows you to boot the image without permanently (well, unless you flash another over) flashing a partition without knowing it works.

Last edited:

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
Booted fine when I ran fastboot boot boot.img, but when I actually flashed it, it's giving me a boot loop now :( Booting back into fastboot shows secure boot still enabled. Any suggestions? Or do you have the original bootloader image?

USSENTERNCC1701E

Sep 21, 2010
Logan
Booted fine when I ran fastboot boot boot.img, but when I actually flashed it, it's giving me a boot loop now :( Booting back into fastboot shows secure boot still enabled. Any suggestions? Or do you have the original bootloader image?

Not at my comp now or I'd upload it, bit of you rip open the fa Tory image from the Google servers you should find it

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

On a side note, what possessed you to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all. Quick notice:

Usual disclaimers apply.

This is an Unsecure boot.img I made for Android 4.2 on the Nexus 4.

Okay cool... but what is an insecure boot.img?

An insecure boot.img allows the device to be booted with permissions to be mounted as root. This is a way of being able to push SuperSU/Superuser.apk to /system/app and the Su Binaries to /bin

adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    exit​

See more here: External Link
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To use this you must be unlocked, not familar with unlocking a Nexus device? Easy. In fastboot mode type "fastboot oem unlock" this wipes all data on the device (virtual sd included).

A nice article regarding this thread was published here: http://www.addictivetips.com/android/root-google-nexus-4-install-clockworkmod-recovery/

To boot this boot.img:
    must be in the platform-tools folder in the android-sdk
    must be in fastboot mode (power+vol-)

First use: fastboot boot "boot.img" (no ")
    Why boot? I have not tested this image as I don't have a Nexus 4 as of yet.**

**Some users report flashing the image makes the phone in need of a fastboot stock flashing session, stick to booting for now.

Thank you for helping!
    -fkrone
    -Ranguvar
    -USSENTERNCC1701E

This is mainly for development purposes to obtain root on this device, it will be an easier process when a recovery is published and you can flash a su.zip. (see attached)

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556426389
    Note, this is in Nexus 7 folder as Nexus 4 does not have its own atm.

Please Lock!
    Got it!
    Thanks for the tutorials. It was just fun to to something short after midnight (Germany). I was a little bit bored ;) Would be nice if you can mention me in the people helped to create this recovery ;)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mlv72phch1tgd5y Mediafire-Mirror ;)
    A colleague wrote a post at our blog a few hours back based on the guide here. I just got done with heavily editing it based on the response here and publishing it. I also added a manual method involving booting with the insecure boot image and copying the required files to the appropriate paths directly. I don't have a Nexus 4 at the moment but in my personal experience with Nexus devices including Galaxy Nexus on Jelly Bean 4.2, this method *should* work as long as you can boot using the insecure boot image, even if the recovery method fails to work. The full step-by-step instructions should be easy to follow for anyone. Hope it helps. Here is the link:
    http://www.addictivetips.com/android/root-google-nexus-4-install-clockworkmod-recovery/

PS: If it works for you, please do confirm here, thanks.

IT WORKED! Well, the manual method worked that involves ADB.

Used these files:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?az44dwrww0808j3

With these commands:
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
    adb push su /system/bin/
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
    adb push busybox /system/xbin/
    adb shell
    su
    chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 0644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    chmod 04755 /system/xbin/busybox
    cd /system/xbin
    busybox --install /system/xbin/
    exit
    exit

I can now confirm I have root!
    There ya be, gimme a min to write up root instructions.
    Dammit, beat me to it!
    Serves me right for making dinner first ;)

http://ompldr.org/vZ2ExYQ/recovery.fstab