New to Moto X - Root?

Search This thread

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
just got the Moto X (verizon) - it was 4.2.2 already installed. I have not had time to read through all of the threads, but should I root before accepting the update? and is there a bootloader unlock procedure for this device?

thanks!

Coop9

Jul 15, 2010
just got the Moto X (verizon) - it was 4.2.2 already installed. I have not had time to read through all of the threads, but should I root before accepting the update? and is there a bootloader unlock procedure for this device?

thanks!

Unless you have the Developer Edition, Verizon Moto X's bootloaders cannot be unlocked now, and likely never will. If you have the DE, just go to Moto's site, and follow the instructions there.

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
thanks for the feedback y'all. I went ahead and accepted the 2 OTA's - all is going well thus far. I've got some reading to do, and looking forward to contributing to this forum.

lowvolt1

Feb 29, 2012
thanks for the feedback y'all. I went ahead and accepted the 2 OTA's - all is going well thus far. I've got some reading to do, and looking forward to contributing to this forum.

So your on 4.4? To root you need yo flash back to 4.2.2 camera update. Root with rockmymoto, use motowpnomo flash back to 4.2.2 camera update non rooted. Then root using slapmymoto. During the slap process you will be promoted to take 4.4 OTA.

slapped the sh*t out of my X

Reactions: jco23

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
You should make time to read. You made time to post this thread so it's obvious you're not that short on time.

After all, it IS your phone.

first off, if anyone around here can make d-bag comments, it should be me, not someone with less than 200 posts and only 35 thanks in nearly 3 years.... I was really looking for a quick response, as I just got the phone, and did not have time to conduct my normal research before making my decision (my prior device was stolen, so I had to make an impulse buy).

So anyhow, curious to see if anyone has tried to encrypt their phone (i'm considering this due to my recent experience), and if that will impact root. My ideal situation would be to have a rooted device that is encrypted. Since I got my device on Wednesday, I should have some time to experiment - I can always claim that after accepting the OTA, it bricked.

Reactions: drzeller

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
first off, if anyone around here can make d-bag comments, it should be me, not someone with less than 200 posts and only 35 thanks in nearly 3 years.... I was really looking for a quick response, as I just got the phone, and did not have time to conduct my normal research before making my decision (my prior device was stolen, so I had to make an impulse buy).

So anyhow, curious to see if anyone has tried to encrypt their phone (i'm considering this due to my recent experience), and if that will impact root. My ideal situation would be to have a rooted device that is encrypted. Since I got my device on Wednesday, I should have some time to experiment - I can always claim that after accepting the OTA, it bricked.

I have not encrypted but I am thinking of doing..I am on Verizon with moto x and fully rooted on 4.4

Slapped my Moto

Reactions: jco23

nhizzat

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 6T

Gotta love the sense of entitlement. Basically what you're telling me is that your time is more valuable than my time. Why should I care more about your device than you? You had enough time to post your question, yet you were too busy to click one of the development sub-forums to take a quick glance at the busiest threads?

What does an impulse buy have to do with figuring out how to root your new phone? I figure an OG like you should be able to find information on how to root a device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So your on 4.4? To root you need yo flash back to 4.2.2 camera update. Root with rockmymoto, use motowpnomo flash back to 4.2.2 camera update non rooted. Then root using slapmymoto. During the slap process you will be promoted to take 4.4 OTA.

slapped the sh*t out of my X
    You should make time to read. You made time to post this thread so it's obvious you're not that short on time.

After all, it IS your phone.

I have not encrypted but I am thinking of doing..I am on Verizon with moto x and fully rooted on 4.4

Slapped my Moto