[APP] X-Link - Zero Setup File Transfer

Search This thread

Sippi4x4man

May 25, 2010
tried the pc client and the app for my Droid X2, the phone could not see pc and vice versa. Could not see any multicast options on my Arris cable modem, I assume it is not compatible.

Harani

May 10, 2009
Newcastle
Got it installed on a Asus Transformer Prime and a HTC Incredible S
The devices see each other but when I try to transfer I get "waiting for response" then a timeout

ptrics

Jan 17, 2011
Mexicali
Hmmm....if only it was possible to send files to multiple devices at the same time. :D

+1 on this, and also when sending on phone directly from the app, it will be nice to be able to select a single file or a complete folder (cuz i can only select a folder)

Unlike other wireless apps for this purpose, it seems the only limitations with this app in regards to speed are the network being used and the resources of the PC and device doing the transfer.

a minor inconvenient, but most PPL have our PC connected to wifi, so no big deal.

no work in pc
win7 32bits

optimus me p350
v10d

I have win7 32 bits and worked totally fine, without doing any thing else.

joschi70

Aug 10, 2010
www.fun2code.de
To copy a single file, use the share functionality of a file manager.
The "Copy folder" menu entry is there because file managers do not seem to support the sharing of directories.

Reactions: mtmerrick

Darnell_Chat_TN

Nov 29, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Google Pixel 4 XL
Unlike other wireless apps for this purpose, it seems the only limitations with this app in regards to speed are the network being used and the resources of the PC and device doing the transfer.

ptrics;23658367... a minor inconvenient said:
Well that's my point. The app does not cause delay and uses the full resources that are available to it. Other apps I've used have delays in the file transfer beyond any limit of available resources. Basically I'm saying this is the fastest and best I've ever used, and exactly what I always wanted :D .

ptrics

Jan 17, 2011
Mexicali
To copy a single file, use the share functionality of a file manager.
The "Copy folder" menu entry is there because file managers do not seem to support the sharing of directories.

yea, I know, but it'll be OK if I could do it from the app, but even like this, this is a must have app

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium

CDTI

Dec 9, 2009
València
PC client don't recognize my phone (Galaxy S i9000) since the PC client is v0.8.5 and the apk one is the v0.8.6

xwray

Mar 15, 2012
Works fine with my 64 bit win7 and Lenovo A1 Tablet.

Do you have any plans for future enhancements...sure seems like a good foundation for doing so.

ZeroManArmy

Nov 23, 2011
Colorado
This app is amazing! I have been using it since it was a featured article on XDA. I se it almost daily to transfer files wirelessly. I love it so much! No problems! Just needs some GUI options and what not. XD

Whilst running either the stock Froyo or a lot of MIUI Gingerbread ROMs on my Motorola Defy, X-link has always worked fine for exchanging files between it and my Win7 64-bit notebook, but since I flashed eppy's ICS 07.05 build on my phone, my notebook can't detect my it anymore. Hope you get some time to keep it up.

Thanks, anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The app I would like to present is called X-Link and is intended to make file transfers between devices (Android or PC) easy.

It's using multicasts to find other clients within the same WiFi network.
    So no setup ist needed.

In addition to the Android app there is also a Java based PC client available.
    This client has been tested on Linux and Windows but might work on other configurations.

The full description and a short video can be found on the Android Market page:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=de.fun2code.android.xlink

You can not only transfer files between PC and Android but also between Android devices.

This is beta software, so there are still bugs.
    Please report them in this thread. I'll have a look as soon as I find time and will contact some of you to get things fixed.

There are surely some timing (and timeout) problems which need some attention.
    Make sure your router supports multicasts.

Please post comments, I'll try to read them all :)

Link to PC client
    http://www.fun2code.de/downloads/xlink/XLinkClient.jar

Copying of directories
    Supported since 0.8.4 beta.

Testing and how you can help

Multicast test
    To test if your network is able to deal with multicast messages you can do the following test:

1. Download the file MulticastSender.jar and MulticastReceiver.jar.
    2. On one PC start the MulticastSender.jar and on another the MulticastReceiver.jar.

The sender sends screenshots. If you see the screenshots on the receiver's side, multicasts are working for you.
    If not, X-Link will not work.

If this works but X-Link doesn't it's likely that there is a problem concerning timeouts within X-Link.
    In this case, please send me a mail (xlink [at] fun2code.de).

If sharing on Android does not work
    Sharing does not seem to be working in some apps.

If you encounter such a problem, please download the app XLinkDebug.apk and install it.
    Use sharing as you normally would with X-Link but select X-Link Debug instead.
    On execution the app will copy the information needed for me to fix the issue to the clipboard.

Please paste the clipboard into a mail ans send it to the following address: xlink [at] fun2code.de
    Thanks to all of you for testing!

The X-Link app has to be active on the Android device to be visible to others and for the transfer to work.
    If you close the app during data transfer, the transfer will break.

I'm glad that it worked for some of you. I'll do some debugging next week.
    Hope things will improve...
    For does of you having problems seeing other devices.
    You can do the following test.

Run the PC client from console: java -jar XLinkClient.jar
    Then try to detect you PC from the Android device.

You should see an output similar to this on the console:
    Connecting: 192.168.0.198/4500

If an Exception occurs there was a problem when connecting back to the Android device.
    If no output is visible, it's likely that multicasts are not working within your network.
    How does one send files from phone to PC? It does need some authentication things like previously stated.

With X-Link on/running on both phone and PC, just share a file from your phone (via whatever file manager you use).
    Copying of folders is not supported at the moment.
    There are some things that need to be fixed first (stable detection etc.).
    It's on the list, but might take a while.