Better battery life for Android system?

Search This thread

natefish

Mar 4, 2008
Henderson, KY
I've seen a lot of users' postings of battery statistics (screen shots) and they are all considerably better than what I am getting. The biggest difference I see is in the amount of battery drain from "Android System." What I see posted is between 9% and 13%. However, my batt stats show the Android System draining 60% of the battery.

So, what am I doing wrong? I'm still kind of new to Android. Is it the widgets? I've checked running processes verses what apps are draining battery life and nothing is running that drains like the system does.

Further info: I am currently running the 7.18.12 build of Diet ICS, but I was seeing this behavior on stock as well. Some widgets I use: Astrid premium tasks widget, Evernote, doubletwist, slacker, 3D clock/weather, a widgetsoid switcher, and APW Calendar.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

mike216

Nov 12, 2010
cleveland
How much screen on time over how long and what kind of use?
60% is high but there's known bugs in android OS reporting.
I'm asking because you we're saying your new. It takes a lot of power to power this 4.8 screen :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Reactions: natefish

KappaG9

Jul 20, 2010
I've seen a lot of users' postings of battery statistics (screen shots) and they are all considerably better than what I am getting. The biggest difference I see is in the amount of battery drain from "Android System." What I see posted is between 9% and 13%. However, my batt stats show the Android System draining 60% of the battery.

So, what am I doing wrong? I'm still kind of new to Android. Is it the widgets? I've checked running processes verses what apps are draining battery life and nothing is running that drains like the system does.

Further info: I am currently running the 7.18.12 build of Diet ICS, but I was seeing this behavior on stock as well. Some widgets I use: Astrid premium tasks widget, Evernote, doubletwist, slacker, 3D clock/weather, a widgetsoid switcher, and APW Calendar.

How often do your widgets that gather info refresh? Try scaling down on some widgets and see if that helps. If not, try to flash stock with odin and start over. I was having some problems with my phone when I first got it (MTP specifically) and I falshed stock and everything started working fine. Also, if you are using Google Chrome, make sure you have the experimental feature of using the gyroscope for tilt scrolling set to off....it is known to drain battery.

Hope this helps :good:

natefish

Mar 4, 2008
Henderson, KY
How often do your widgets that gather info refresh? Try scaling down on some widgets and see if that helps. If not, try to flash stock with odin and start over. I was having some problems with my phone when I first got it (MTP specifically) and I falshed stock and everything started working fine. Also, if you are using Google Chrome, make sure you have the experimental feature of using the gyroscope for tilt scrolling set to off....it is known to drain battery.

Maybe I will try flashing stock if I have time today. I reset my battery stats in recovery mode when I took the phone off the charger this morning, so we'll see how today goes.

I looked into the widgets and the only one that refreshes data on a schedule is the clock/weather. I'll try a different one or just not use the weather.

Great tip about Chrome. Didn't know it did that.

Do I actually need to calibrate the battery? I tried the method of letting it die and charge back up a few times and I've tried recharging once it gets down between 70-80 percents life. I'm not sure which method helped, but I did notice an improvement.

Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

natefish

Mar 4, 2008
Henderson, KY
I'm asking because you we're saying your new. It takes a lot of power to power this 4.8 screen :)

Not sure how to know how long the screen was on. Is there a way to know that? If I had to guess I'd say 4 hours. I use the Smart Stay option as well. I wonder if wiping the stats will give me more valid data.

Thank you for the help.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
Not sure how to know how long the screen was on. Is there a way to know that? If I had to guess I'd say 4 hours. I use the Smart Stay option as well. I wonder if wiping the stats will give me more valid data.

Thank you for the help.

settings>battery>click on the gray use bar & you can see screen on time.

BabyHuey

Jul 6, 2012
It is because you are running touchjizz. Cm and aokp are the best :highfive:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

StNtMaN

Jul 12, 2012
I have my display off auto-brightness and on a low setting, I probably utilize the task manager 50x a day and clear the ram as well, cpu sleeper is always activated, gps/sync/auto-rotate/wifi/bluetooth is always off unless I need them, and I have power saving mode on most of the time.

With all these settings off and I am a heavy texter/caller/browser/emailer, my battery lasts from 7AM-1AM and I am at 30-40% at the end of the day!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

natefish

Mar 4, 2008
Henderson, KY
I have my display off auto-brightness and on a low setting, I probably utilize the task manager 50x a day and clear the ram as well, cpu sleeper is always activated, gps/sync/auto-rotate/wifi/bluetooth is always off unless I need them, and I have power saving mode on most of the time.

With all these settings off and I am a heavy texter/caller/browser/emailer, my battery lasts from 7AM-1AM and I am at 30-40% at the end of the day!

Great advice. Thanks. What do you use for "cpu sleeper"?

natefish

Mar 4, 2008
Henderson, KY

Never mind! Just searched" CPU sleeper" on the Play store and--voila!

On another note, I'm so glad I got a device with a huge support community. Coming from iOS, it's nice to feel part of a collective effort again and get such great advice. I know there are a lot of iOS forums and there is some great work done through those communities, but those seem so trivial compared to what is done through XDA and the level of helpfulness is unparalleled here.

Great advice. Thanks. What do you use for "cpu sleeper"?

KappaG9

Jul 20, 2010
Do I actually need to calibrate the battery? I tried the method of letting it die and charge back up a few times and I've tried recharging once it gets down between 70-80 percents life. I'm not sure which method helped, but I did notice an improvement.

I read somewhere in the forum that these batteries actually like to be constantly charged up and not let die completely. There was no explanation for this but I will research it because I am curious. With my old Captivate, i let it die then fully charge to extend the overall life of the battery.

How is your battery so far?

natefish

Mar 4, 2008
Henderson, KY
I read somewhere in the forum that these batteries actually like to be constantly charged up and not let die completely. There was no explanation for this but I will research it because I am curious. With my old Captivate, i let it die then fully charge to extend the overall life of the battery.

How is your battery so far?

I've applied all the tricks folks have shared here and have flashed the Diet ICS rom. I am going to take screen shots of my usage data on a daily basis and see how things fair. I'll post my results here. Here is one from last night before really getting into all the tricks and the new rom. So, maybe this is my "before" shot in this documentary of a noob's journey to better battery life.

End subspace transmission from NCC-1701E

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342837998207.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342837998207.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 368

jauwad.arshad

Jul 11, 2012

Have you tried using the CPU Sleeper app?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1745516

I found that it does a great job of preserving battery life when the phone is in standby. I used to notice my battery draining really fast over short periods on standby (phone would be hot to the touch). After installing this, I have not encountered that problem again. I get 16-20 hours of use on moderate usage. LTE, gps, and sync are always enabled. I DO NOT have the phone in power saving mode and I seldom use wifi. I used to get 10-12 hours of battery life on the same usage before. I am running the rooted version of the stock rom from my carrier.

debk

Mar 29, 2012
CPU sleeper app works great for me. I am in a non LTE area but get incredible battery life, last all day usually with around 50% left. An order of magnitude better than my SGS2

natefish

Mar 4, 2008
Henderson, KY
Have you tried using the CPU Sleeper app?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1745516

I found that it does a great job of preserving battery life when the phone is in standby. I used to notice my battery draining really fast over short periods on standby (phone would be hot to the touch). After installing this, I have not encountered that problem again. I get 16-20 hours of use on moderate usage. LTE, gps, and sync are always enabled. I DO NOT have the phone in power saving mode and I seldom use wifi. I used to get 10-12 hours of battery life on the same usage before. I am running the rooted version of the stock rom from my carrier.

CPU sleeper app works great for me. I am in a non LTE area but get incredible battery life, last all day usually with around 50% left. An order of magnitude better than my SGS2

I am using CPU Sleeper now, thanks to the advice of a previous poster on page 1. Good to hear it works for others.

I had the SGS2 as well and the S3 is definitely better.

ventzi

Sep 8, 2010
Hi all,
I also notice this and this were the steps that I did and seems to help me to reduce this process to like 5 %. I'm on Sprint S3 but should be the same for the all carriers.
Go ahead and open Talk application. You should see your account in green (I'm not using this application) then hit the menu and then select sigh Off. Make sure that your account changes to Offline (sometimes it is change back it self so open one more time make sure that it says Offline). Then what else I change is in wi-fi advanced options: under Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep I choose Only when plugged in option. then I reboot the phone and from now on (almost 2 days) my Android system process show up only 5% of usage and my battery life improve significantly. I hope this will helps.
Thanks

natefish

Mar 4, 2008
Henderson, KY
Those are great tips. Thanks. I will say I've gotten increasingly better life since employing other tips discussed here.

Something else I did was download a profile changing app. I got Quick Profiles, but anything should do. If anyone uses anything better, please share. I have a profile for power saving that turns down my brightness, and turns off wifi and Bluetooth. The app will let you put shortcuts on the home screen to instantly change the profile. I'd like to find one, however, that will also turn off gps and mobile data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi all,
    I also notice this and this were the steps that I did and seems to help me to reduce this process to like 5 %. I'm on Sprint S3 but should be the same for the all carriers.
    Go ahead and open Talk application. You should see your account in green (I'm not using this application) then hit the menu and then select sigh Off. Make sure that your account changes to Offline (sometimes it is change back it self so open one more time make sure that it says Offline). Then what else I change is in wi-fi advanced options: under Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep I choose Only when plugged in option. then I reboot the phone and from now on (almost 2 days) my Android system process show up only 5% of usage and my battery life improve significantly. I hope this will helps.
    Thanks