How to remove Stocks, Nascar and other useless apps...

Search This thread

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
For everyone who wants to remove useless apps (useless to them, for instance, the Nascar app. I hate Nascar, no offense anyone), here are some somewhat detailed instructions. Follow this word for word and you should be good to go. But first some important notes.

IMPORTANT NOTES!!!!
Ya like the title? I think it's pretty.... explanatory :)
Anyway...
  • Flash a recovery image and do a Nandroid backup
  • Be careful! If you don't know what a file does DONT TOUCH IT!

At the very least there are two places the apps are located on the phone. The apps you install from the market are in /data/app and /data/app-private. Obviously you can uninstall these from the settings app so thats not too important. What you want is in /system/app I believe. First you must mount the system as read and write. Then you can cd into that directory and then issue the dir (ls in Linux) command. This will list all the files. There are a lot of these. Just look for a filename that looks right an use the rm command to delete the application. There is a little more to it than that so let me elaborate.

I may be wrong on this but from what I gather Android applications are compressed files. When the app is run it decompresses the file into a temporary directory. Now as Android began evolving Google decided to seperate the app and the compressed data. This is referred to as odexing the application and while it takes more space on the phone it will speed up the application. You will notice for just about every application in this directory is an apk file and an odex file. So say you want to remove the Nascar app (probably the most hated app, sorry Nascar fans). I forget the exact filename as I removed it but it is something to the effect of Sprint_Nscar.apk and Sprint_Nscar.odex. Just issue the rm command on these files and they will be removed. You will notice they are no longer in the app drawer either. I noticed when doing this it did not show any saved space until after I restarted the phone. Don't know why this was.

One more note. Be extremely careful when doing this. If you havent done so, flash the recovery image. Then do a nandroid backup. If you remove the wrong file you can just restore the backup. And if you don't know what a file does, DO NOT TOUCH IT! You can seriously screw up the system by removing the wrong file. And without further ado, an example of the commands you should run.

At the windows command prompt (or Linux terminal):
Code:
adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system 
# cd /system/app
# ls
Browser.odex
HtcClockWidget.apk
htcsearchwidgets.odex
Calendar.apk
VoiceSearch.apk
DrmProvider.odex
PackageInstaller.apk
Gmail.apk
HtcStreamPlayer.odex
IQRD.odex
PackageInstaller.odex
com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
UploadProvider.odex
htcmailwidgets.apk
GoogleApps.apk
Weather.apk
DmService.apk
Clicker.odex
HtcClockWidget.odex
CustomizationSetup.apk
Vending.apk
IMPlugins.odex
IM.odex
WeatherProvider.odex
Rosie.apk
HtcMusic.apk
htccontactwidgets.apk
MediaProvider.apk
Sprint_TVWidget.apk
htcmsgwidgets.apk
UploadProvider.apk
com.htc.WeatherWidget.odex
CustomizationSettingsProvider.apk
VoiceDialer.odex
HtcCdmaProvider.odex
HtcSettingsProvider.apk
CertificateService.odex
HtcSoundRecorder.odex
TelephonyProvider.odex
Updater.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
GSD.apk
checkin.apk
ImProvider.apk
HtcContacts.odex
htcsearchwidgets.apk
FilePicker.apk
PCSCII.odex
DCSGeocode.odex
ImProvider.odex
NetworkLocation.apk
GoogleSettingsProvider.apk
HtcPhotoWidget.odex
Browser.apk
IQRD.apk
GoogleContactsProvider.odex
HtcTwitter.apk
DCSWeather.odex
HtcAddProgramWidget.odex
HTMLViewer.odex
HTCSetupWizard.apk
htcmsgwidgets.odex
SocialNetworkProvider.odex
GmailProvider.apk
GoogleSearch.apk
Sprint_TV.apk
htccontactwidgets.odex
Updater.odex
FlashPlayer.odex
com.htc.MusicWidget.odex
CustomizationSettingsProvider.odex
HtcIQAgent.odex
IMPlugins.apk
HtcRingtoneTrimmer.apk
Settings.apk
Sprint_NFL.apk
Sprint_App_Updater.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
HTCCamera.apk
com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
Street.apk
HTCSetupWizard.odex
Launcher.odex
teeter.odex
HTCAlbum.odex
HtcSettingsProvider.odex
com.htc.WeatherWidget.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
FlashPlayer.apk
Calculator.apk
Weather.odex
Sprint_Navigator.apk
FieldTrial.odex
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
DownloadProvider.odex
MediaUploader.apk
AccountManager.apk
HtcMusic.odex
Phone.odex
TelephonyProvider.apk
HtcContacts.apk
PDFViewer.odex
HTC_IME.odex
Calculator.odex
UserDictionaryProvider.odex
HtcSoundRecorder.apk
DCSUtility.apk
GoogleSearch.odex
SetupWizard.apk
GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk
WorldClock.odex
MediaProvider.odex
MemMonitor.odex
CalendarProvider.apk
StatusBarCleanService.odex
GoogleContactsProvider.apk
Mail.odex
FilePicker.odex
MemMonitor.apk
HtcLocationPicker.odex
PCSCII.apk
IM.apk
HtcStreamPlayer.apk
HtcLockScreen.odex
AccountManager.odex
SocialNetworkProvider.apk
HtcIQAgent.apk
HTC_IME.apk
Talk.apk
HtcCdmaProvider.apk
SDSA.apk
Clicker.apk
Mms.apk
gtalkservice.apk
Rosie.odex
DCSImpl.odex
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
htcmailwidgets.odex
DCSImpl.apk
SettingsProvider.odex
MySMS.odex
OMADM.odex
DCSReverseGeocode.apk
DCSReverseGeocode.odex
HTCNew.odex
EPST.odex
HTCAlbum.apk
WorldClock.apk
YouTube.apk
DCSGeocode.apk
OMADM.apk
EPST.apk
CalendarProvider.odex
HtcLocationPicker.apk
HtcAddProgramWidget.apk
htccalendarwidgets.odex
FieldTrial.apk
DMPortRead.odex
DCSStock.apk
MySMS.apk
HtcLocationService.apk
HtcPhotoWidget.apk
WeatherProvider.apk
HtcTwitter.odex
Launcher.apk
CheckinProvider.apk
PDFViewer.apk
Mms.odex
Phone.apk
CheckinProvider.odex
Maps.apk
Settings.odex
HtcLockScreen.apk
StatusBarCleanService.apk
GSD.odex
VoiceDialer.apk
DCSStock.odex
CustomizationSetup.odex
DMPortRead.apk
HtcLocationService.odex
DrmProvider.apk
Calendar.odex
DCSUtility.odex
Sprint_Core.apk
teeter.apk
HtcRingtoneTrimmer.odex
DCSWeather.apk
HTCCamera.odex
HTCNew.apk
CertificateService.apk
GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.odex
Mail.apk
# rm Stock.apk
# rm Stock.odex

Please note that this listing is smaller than normal as I removed many apps already. But this listing essentially removes the stocks application. Useless to me so I removed it. Simple as that. You can play around because you have the Nandroid backup (you did make it, right?). If you remove an important file simply run the restore feature of the recovery image. Good luck everyone and if you have any questions just ask.

thecodemonk

Oct 23, 2009
Spokane, WA
Best...guide...EVER! (Nascar and NFL are GONE!)

...up to 112MBs free! :D

Interestingly...my hero boots faster now (as in the scenes load faster, even though I never had them on the homescreen to begin with). o_O

Last edited:

chuckhriczko

Best...guide...EVER! (Nascar and NFL are GONE!)

...up to 112MBs free! :D

Interestingly...my hero boots faster now (as in the scenes load faster, even though I never had them on the homescreen to begin with). o_O

NFL!? ARE YOU MAD!? lol. I wouldnt get rid of NFL but I'm a crazy Steelers fan :) Although the Fantasy feature crashes the app which is maddening to me but whatever. Thank you and I'm glad you liked it. Anything I can do to contribute.

nemesys504

Oct 13, 2006
New York, NY
i keep getting cache: permission denied after i type in * daemon not running. starting it now *
After you type in adb shell, skip the 2 lines after that and continue with $ su. Try it this way.

adb shell
$ su
# cd /system/app
# ls

then continue with # rm [insert filename here].apk and/or .odex to remove the app you want.

Last edited:

FoxRacR17

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks for this! Got rid of almost everything I wanted to. The last two things at that "Peep" and "HTC Mobile Guide" app. Anyone know what files to delete to get rid of those things?

ajones7279

Nov 6, 2007
Somewhere
www.twitter.com
GREAT writeup. Thanks a lot.

Peep is HtcTwitter and Mobile Guide is LearnMore.

Edit: Wow, maybe it's just a placebo effect but I swear it feels like my phone is zooming right now.

Last edited:

nelson8403

Dec 13, 2006
There's also

Stock Widget
com.htc.StockWidget.odex
com.htc.StockWidget.apk

QuickOffice
Quickoffice_HTC_1.0.1.apk

Twitter Widget

Music Widget
com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
com.htc.MusicWidget.odex

HTC Music (if you're using a different music player)
HtcMusic.apk

Sprint NFL
Sprint_NFL.apk

Treefallingquietly

Nov 6, 2009
There's also

Stock Widget
com.htc.StockWidget.odex
com.htc.StockWidget.apk

QuickOffice
Quickoffice_HTC_1.0.1.apk

Twitter Widget

Music Widget
com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
com.htc.MusicWidget.odex

HTC Music (if you're using a different music player)
HtcMusic.apk

Sprint NFL
Sprint_NFL.apk

Thanks for the list. It would be nice to get a sticky of all Sprint/HTC apps that ship with phone so we can remove what we want. Like the buggy SMS app that drains your battery!

Once we get apps2SD can we move all the rest out of main memory or do they need to be on the phone?

702DROID

Nov 7, 2009
DENVER COLORADO
After you type in adb shell, skip the 2 lines after that and continue with $ su. Try it this way.

adb shell
$ su
# cd /system/app
# ls

then continue with # rm [insert filename here].apk and/or .odex to remove the app you want.

thanks that worked but now after i removed these
Sprint_Nscar.apk
teeter.odex
amazonmp3.apk
teeter.apk
stock.odex

i get the process com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectedly please try again

i think i might have bricked my phone

Last edited:

WhiteWidows

Jul 27, 2009
thanks that worked but now after i removed these
Sprint_Nscar.apk
teeter.odex
amazonmp3.apk
teeter.apk
stock.odex

i get the process com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectedly please try again

i think i might have bricked my phone

Restore the backup you should have created. You did create a backup right????

WhiteWidows

Jul 27, 2009
i used that program from the market my backup ....how do i restore

Oh boy :( Did you read the tutorial on rooting???? And follow everything?????

Especially this part:

Now your phone is officially rooted! We arent done yet though. Now you need to flash the recovery image. If you are still in adb shell type in exit until you are out. You should be in the directory where you extracted the recovery image. If not go there. Type in the following:

adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img /sdcard/

Once that is done, type in adb shell (or sudo ./adb shell in ubuntu). If your command prompt is a dollar sign then type in su and press enter. If it is a pound sign you are good. Then type in the following:

adb shell flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img

Once that is finished you are done. To reboot into recovery type in adb shell reboot recovery. You should reboot into recovery mode. Right now there is not a lot you can do but once we have some devs who make some roms then we will be well on our way to an even more awesome phone. Any questions please ask away. Also, I am sorry if this tutorial is hard to understand or badly laid out. My daughter is crawling all over me so it's hard to type or think. Good luck all and thanks to everyone who rooted this phone and made the recovery and did such a great job!

chuckhriczko

i used that program from the market my backup ....how do i restore

Ok. I just have a request here. Please, before you do anything like this please read the post. The backup you performed is not the backup you need. I may be wrong but I believe my original post specifically said a Nandroid backup which is performed through the recovery image. The backup you performed will not do anything for you. You have to do a factory reset and hope that that restores the apps. Next time you or anyone else does this for the first time please do a Nandroid backup in the recovery image first. That is critical to do before you add, remove or modify anything on your phone.

702DROID

Nov 7, 2009
DENVER COLORADO
Ok. I just have a request here. Please, before you do anything like this please read the post. The backup you performed is not the backup you need. I may be wrong but I believe my original post specifically said a Nandroid backup which is performed through the recovery image. The backup you performed will not do anything for you. You have to do a factory reset and hope that that restores the apps. Next time you or anyone else does this for the first time please do a Nandroid backup in the recovery image first. That is critical to do before you add, remove or modify anything on your phone.

your right i must have missed that part about nandroid backup how do i do a factory reset and if that dont work would the backup you made work to get me back to an operational phone (then im leaving this **** alone)

WhiteWidows

Jul 27, 2009
your right i must have missed that part about nandroid backup how do i do a factory reset and if that dont work would the backup you made work to get me back to an operational phone (then im leaving this **** alone)

Using the Hardware Keys

Power the Phone Down (Hold the End Call buttom down until you get a pop up window to power down)

Hold Home and Back keys at same time

Without releasing Home and Back press the End Call button (which is the Power button) and release the End Call button.

You should still be holding Home and Back and now a screen will come up asking for an action. Press the trackball to reset or back to cancel.

Press trackball then it will ask you to press menu to reset and it will be factory original!