[TUT] Ubuntu on Adam Methods - 03/12/11

Search This thread

tillum

Oct 31, 2009
It's nice to have encouragement, but not sure how much more I'll be able to do. ubuntu-netbook packages are all downloaded now, but have been having issues configuring them. Have asked (nicely) my adam to install them anyway, whether it likes it or not. See what happens. I'll post the files I'm working from up later on today. Sorry webs05, haven't sorted out the google code thing yet, not sure what's happened to those emails you've sent. Can you send me a link to the project page? Maybe I can try and register from there. For now I'll continue posting them on my server, though at some point moving them would be great. I haven't done much more other than making a minimal rootfs with wicd-curses installed, and fixed up some dependency problems (mainly with libc, etc). You should be able to connect to a wireless network through it, and have oodles of fun installing. It's not hard, and if we want Ubuntu running on this piece of hardware, we're going to need some help. That means everyone watching and following this forum thread that hasn't posted yet.

Ok, back into it, will write an update later today, hopefully with a link to some updated files for you to try. Cheers

tillum

Oct 31, 2009
Ok folks, here are the files I've been working with. Please have a go building this yourself, it's not hard, fairly simple. If we have enough people working on this, we'll get a working version of Ubuntu up shortly. Of course, all the usual things apply... we are not responsible for bricked adams, etc. But of course, if that were an issue, I doubt you'd be reading this anyway. The files to use are:

http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/misc/projects/linux/native-install/minimal-ubuntu-wicd.tgz
&
http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/misc/projects/linux/native-install/armelbuild-6.tgz

minimal-ubuntu-wicd.tgz is the same as the armelbuild-6.tgz, except that I've fixed up the libraries that break the system, configured fstab, etc. Basically, when you install anything you will be asked to fix the installation with apt-get first. It's fine to follow those commands and upgrade the packages, providing when you're done you downgrade them again... otherwise you won't be able to boot into the GDM on next boot, and will have the pleasure of adam spewing errors at you. To revert, run this command:
Code:
sudo libc-fix

The login details are:
user: dickens
password: dickens

Why dickens? Why not...

In order to use this, you will need to format an external micro-sdcard to ext2/3/4 (doesn't matter which, though I'm using ext 4), and extract the rootfs onto the card. Edit fstab appropriately. (i.e., ext 2, ext 3) Assuming you've named your card "ubuntu", I use this command from a ubuntu system:
Code:
 sudo tar -C /media/ubuntu -pxzvf minimal-ubuntu-wicd.tgz

You will then need to follow rayman's method to flash the bootloader. I have this booting from my recovery partition, so I can dualboot. For more info, go here:
http://notioninkhacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1651

The easiest way I found to do this was to use the files from NI to unbrick your adam, and replace the recovery.img with rayman's linux-boot.img, of course renaming it to recovery.img.

A note for linux users:
For some reason, I couldn't easily use notion ink's unbricking files to do this. I needed an extra step not listed. Get the files for your adam here:
http://notioninkhacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=327
Then after extracting them, go two folders UP, then symlink the files into that folder. I don't know why it works, but it does. Ie, if you extract them into /home/user/working/extract/adam, you will need to symlink the extracted files to /home/user/working, then run them from there. You'll also need to make download.sh and nvflash executable. Also, running this will revert your adam install back to stock. As in, ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED! Wipe on baby...

Feel free to post back if you need clarification. If you aren't comfortable with possibly bricking your adam, I'd recommend not following this. If you are, please help us get this running! Running: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook will spew errors at you, and might not be the best way to do this. The meta-package seems specific to omap4 boards. It might be better to try and install unity-2d first on it's own, with gdm to get it booting.

Last edited:

tillum

Oct 31, 2009
Last post for today. Here you go folks, Natty Narwhale on the Adam:

Rootfs: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/misc/projects/linux/native-install/natty-gui-1.tar.gz
Md5sum: 711b1731d8a91d64c360da89e71d0842
*Uploading now, will be up in about an hour.

What is working:
- Unity 2d
- Wireless networking
- screen resolution

What is not working:
- touchscreen

Not tested:
- everything else

This is a development build, and hopefully enough to spur people reading this post into action. Flash rayman's boot.img, untar this image onto an sdcard, stick it in your adam and boot. It should boot into Ubuntu. Password is dickens, user is dickens, or whatever the system tells you on first login. You will need a keyboard and mouse.

No idea why the touchscreen is hosed, think it's because I used the ubuntu-netbook meta package, and it wanted to install some kernels. Rayman's method already has a kernel in the boot image, so this may conflict with it. This system is sloooow. From an external sdcard, what would you expect? On the desktop you will see 2 other sdcards however... the internal one the adam uses, as well as the 2gb partition NI uses for the adam files they don't want you to touch. It's probably possible for some clever person to reformat both these into an ext partition, then untar the file above onto it, if they can figure how to get rayman's boot.img to point there. My guess is this would run faster... as well as getting rid of android.

If I was going to remake this again, I would try installing only unity-2d. This "should" give you a gui without everything else.... no idea if it would work, but it's possible you could get a very minimal system up and running without losing the touchscreen.

I would encourage anyone else reading this thread who has actually created something more useful to please post it and let us know. This is a very small first step, and should be treated as such. It is also twice the size of the vega image, so my guess is they built theirs differently Cheers.

cbaggers

Jan 7, 2011
I'm finally through the 10 post trial!

Fantastic work mate!
Downloading this now. I'll start torrenting it as soon as I have downloaded so we are not putting as much load on your server.
As soon as I have it working on mine I'll knock together a youtube video which will hopefully get the slightly more cautious having a go!
3 hours to go until play time!

tillum

Oct 31, 2009
Awesome on all counts, thanks for getting involved. Made another build with just unity-2d, and gdm. Worked fine, but still no touchscreen. As rayman said it was working, I wonder what needs to be done? Makes me wonder if it's something simple like the xorg config. Might be worth looking at the vega ubuntu image and seeing what their xorg configuraton is. For what it's worth, I think a custom build from a minimal install using unity 2d is the go. Too many things (like banshee, at least for now, as no sound) won't have much use, and cups is a pain.

Thinking about about the internal flash drive... shouldn't be too hard to wipe android, and put Ubuntu there, then point the bootloader in that direction. Heck, we could probably do it through a Ubuntu install. I'm pretty sure it's mmc1, though would need to check on that. If we can pull apart rayman's boot.img, then we can probably point it to another part of the tablet. I'm game... I think we will have a very slow device until we are using that drive.

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with. Cheers.

cbaggers

Jan 7, 2011
Ubuntu Natty Image

To give Tillium some breathing room on his server, here is the Natty Narwhal image in a torrent.
Beware this is my first torrent so if it doesnt work the call me an idiot and I'll try and get it right :D !

p.s. Sorry for the archive, I had to zip up the torrent file before I could upload it.

[EDIT]

OH for ***** sake the ******* card is not ******* big enough....*breathes* Hehe ah well I've got some on order now so should only be a few days!

Attachments

• natty_torrent.zip
    34.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

tillum

Oct 31, 2009
Thanks matey, the torrent looks fine. Keep in mind it will only work when you're computer is on to seed it to others.... at least until enough people are seeding it.

How big is your sdcard? You can also grab the minimal image, and have a go with that... you'll be able to make something much smaller than the other image I have... just don't install ubuntu-netbook!

Look forward to seeing where this goes.

~dinky

tmckenn2

Nov 9, 2010
fantastic work... ill try and get working on it but school is a very real time constraint. btw why dont you just use the terminal command for flashing the image to recovery... should work something like this:

adb shell
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

should be good to go. while some people say you need to check system and make sure there isnt a recovery there that will over write this one, i dont think it is needed... but here are the commands anyways:

adb shell
cd system
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
rm recovery.img
mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
exit
exit

remember the boot image needs to be renamed to recovery... oh and if you have a recovery image prior to doing this, do a nand back up because if tis goes south your going to do a factory reset.... and the back up will still be there even though you reflash recovery with this.... bc its stored on the sdcard.

tillum

Oct 31, 2009
That's really interesting, particularly because adb shell gets you into the shell of the actual device, i.e., with my nexus one, into android. So does that mean in android, (or Eden here) there is a command to flash the bootloader within the system, or have I missed something? The other possibility would be doing this within apx mode, which I'd find even more interesting... as that's without android running at all... could you clarify this?

I'm familiar with the mount commands, etc. For remounting the /system folder in android, and get what you're doing there. Next time I flash it I'll have to give it a go.

Has anyone had a go with the gui version of Natty I put together? Any luck with the touchscreen? I just realized I forgot to clean the package cache, so ... sudo apt-get clean should fix that. Also I tried it with an ext 2 partition. Good luck.

I'm passing my Adam onto professor arronax (parronax) tonight, I just don't have the time to be playing with it right now. Study, work, and family is taking up all my time. I might have another play in a few months, but for now need to focus on other things. I'm still happy to post things up on my server, either pm me or parronax and we'll sort it from there.

I still think the Adam is an awesome machine with some great hardware, but I'm more interested atm in getting something like the samsung sliding pc 7, with an oaktrail chip, and running Ubuntu on it. No Pixel QI, and battery is unlikely to be as good, but the sliding keyboard would suit my work flow better, and 'should' be easier to get a fully working version of Ubuntu from the word go. See what happens.

Cheers folks, catch you around.

T

tmckenn2

Nov 9, 2010
yea i saw those... looks like a pretty sweet device.

anyways that is supposed to be run from a command prompt in windows, it can be run within android on a terminal emulator the same way but without the adb shell commands. terminal emulator is what i use... its free... it works. ik this method works with my android phone and am confident it will work with any android device.

i think it requires the android system... i dont think it is busy-box but the native built in version. but all it does is write an image file to a partition, the recovery does the same thing... im sure it uses basically the same commands but with a different partition. like you can flash using that command to any partition by changing recovery to something else... there was a guide online but idk where it is.

Last edited:

cbaggers

Jan 7, 2011
@tillum: I'm still waiting on my micro sd cards but I'l' be testing as soon as they arrive. The slider is very cool but the arm and pixel qi combo is just too alluring for me to leave the adam! Hope all goes well in the real world!

@tmckenn2: Thats very cool, I wa hoping for that as after flashing the recovery partition android has the boot loop issue and trying to go to recovery just loads ubuntu on the sdcard.
Again I'll have a tinker when I have the sdcards.

tmckenn2

Nov 9, 2010
oh i understand... you want a way to fix android if it gets fubar'd by running that command in either apx mode or ubuntu.... im pretty sure apx is a no go but maybe ubuntu could work... anyways the ideal way of doing it would be to have the recovery partition as recovery and the boot partition have a selection screen.... this whole flashing the two is a work around really.

cbaggers

Jan 7, 2011
Righto peoples I'm having to take down the torrent as I'm moving house and I need to pack this computer away :(.
Doesnt look like anyone was using it anyway but for those who would have, sorry!
Catch ya all in a week or so

paronnax

Apr 9, 2011
A quick update from my end.

I'm now focusing on a native install. Currently running a basic natty install with unity 2d and gdm. Wifi is working, and focusing on getting the touchscreen working.
The only progress I've had today is getting an xorg conf set up and still being able to boot into the gui.

The touch screen is recognised as a device.
Code:
 cat /dev/input/event2
and touching the screen tells us that. Next step is to get the xorg.conf and the driver evdev translating the input into a cursor.

After that - configure HDMI, sound, . . . Not sure about accelerometer, graphics acceleration, and battery management.

How's everyone else going?

Sent from my HTC Magic/Dream using XDA App

Jar0b_

Feb 18, 2008
Bilbao
I havent tested it yet, im very busy with the exams and some works.

Im still seeding the torrent, my computer is on since i finished the download !

Tell us more as you get it ;)

Greetings !

cbaggers

Jan 7, 2011
I'm meant to be packing but I had to post as this is being typed from ubuntu on the Adam.
Haven't made any poper progress yet, got wifi up and noticed that syslog was eating all my cpu, after I stopped that I noticed a decent speed up.
Locking at the kernel log is said that Cannot read proc file system: 1 - Operation not permitted. too be honest it could be a number of things. Anyone else getting this? I also sudo chown -R gdm: /var/lib/gdm to get to the login prompt, I'm afraid I'm a noob at this so it may be that I screwed some permissions while extracting?

Great to hear there is progress on the touchscreen and cheers to Jar0b_ for carrying on the seeding!

Cheers again
Baggers

p.s. When this thing isnt getting hung up on writing to disk it is seriously speedy, feels snappier that my atom powered acer revo

paronnax

Apr 9, 2011
Great to hear that the torrent is being seeded and also good to see xda msgs posted from Ubuntu on adam.

How did you extract the rootfs, and which rootfs did you use/create?

Ok everyone, all the best with the moving, packing, exams and other work!

Sent from my HTC Magic/Dream using XDA App

strahl

Sep 10, 2007
Innsbruck
Hi paronnax :)

How did you get a native natty install to boot? Whenever I tried it I never reached the state where the framebuffer device is initialized. The yellow LED showed CPU activitiy but I never got an output to my PixelQi display.

Could you give a quick HowTo what files to nvflash to which partition and how you generated the filesystem on your SDCard?

:) stefan

Last edited:

paronnax

Apr 9, 2011
Hi Stefan,

Tillium posted a good HowTo last week. Have you followed those instructions? (see below)

I'll aim to get a step-by-step guide up tomorrow night.

A quick note for when you do get it all up and running:
to install new packages you will need to upgrade a few packages

Code:
sudo apt-get -f install

Then before you shut the system down you will have to

Code:
cd ~/packages
sudo dpkg -i libfix/*

If you are using Tillium's rootfs, use the script "libc-fix"

You will then need to follow rayman's method to flash the bootloader. I have this booting from my recovery partition, so I can dualboot. For more info, go here:
http://notioninkhacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1651

The easiest way I found to do this was to use the files from NI to unbrick your adam, and replace the recovery.img with rayman's linux-boot.img, of course renaming it to recovery.img.

A note for linux users:
For some reason, I couldn't easily use notion ink's unbricking files to do this. I needed an extra step not listed. Get the files for your adam here:
http://notioninkhacks.com/forums/vie...php?f=63&t=327
Then after extracting them, go two folders UP, then symlink the files into that folder. I don't know why it works, but it does. Ie, if you extract them into /home/user/working/extract/adam, you will need to symlink the extracted files to /home/user/working, then run them from there. You'll also need to make download.sh and nvflash executable. Also, running this will revert your adam install back to stock. As in, ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED! Wipe on baby...

Last edited:

paronnax

Apr 9, 2011
Hi All,

Apologies for not posting a bootloader howto yet we will get one up soon

For those focusing on getting the touchscreen working, I have attached the files I have been playing around with.

There are two flavors here. The first is a simple xorg configuration that I have booting into the gui (no touch working yet). The second is one that aims to get the hdmi output, (also sound etc.) working.

For the xorg.conf I have working with the gui, rename xorg.confgui to xorg.conf and copy to X11

Install the arm xserver-xorg-input-evdev debian file. I haven't been able to install this file yet - need to investigate why it fails.

Hopefully the arm xserver-evdev install will be the final piece of the puzzle for the touchscreen.

The xorg.conf with the tegra driver does not load into the gui. When I run
Code:
startx
it gives an error on an "undefined symbol picturescreenprivelages ...".
I have read that this error is to do with a file in \usr\include\xorg. but no luck yet.

xorg.conf:
etx\X11

libnv files:
usr\lib\

tegra_drv:
usr\lib\xorg\modules\drivers

Attachments

• libnv.zip
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • tegra_drv.zip
    55.9 KB · Views: 5
  • xserver-xorg-input-evdev_2.6.0-3_armel.zip
    85.1 KB · Views: 5
  • xorg.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ FIRST

This post will have info on the chroot method. To find out info on running Ubuntu natively on the Adam, click this link for post #2 below. Enjoy :)

chroot Method:

chroot Ubuntu on Adam Beta1...

For now project files for chroot method will be located at this Google Code Project site. Files will be posted shortly, stay tuned. :)

DO NOT attempt this yet until specified as alpha or beta or otherwise stated as ready for testing!!

Liability:
    I'm not responsible for what you do with your device, this is a guide or tutorial for general purposes only.

If you do not have a strong understanding of rooting and how to recover a device from scratch DO NOT attempt this until we are our of beta stages. Wait till you see RC status at least.

Verified working with bugs

Directions:
    I'm not sure what file format is needed on the SD card, so make sure it has the stock file format from Android.

1. Make sure you are rooted using the methods listed here or Notion Ink Hacks Forum.
    2. Download necessary files:
      - Main scripts: Download from Google Code Project webpage. http://code.google.com/p/chroot-ubuntu-ni-adam-tablet/
      - Ubuntu.img file: Download from MegaUpload. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3ZQTCUUN
    3. Create a folder on root of your Adam SD card called "ubuntu" and download the files from the Google Code Project site to this folder.
    4. Unzip "ubuntu.img.zip" package and copy or move "ubuntu.img" file to the ubuntu folder you created above. Delete all the rest of the files. Do this to make sure you do not confuse the scripts I've put together for the Adam.
    5. Plug Adam into your computer and make sure you have a connection to it.
    6. Android SDK installed on a local computer with ADB functioning.
    7. Make sure you do not have the SD card mounted on your computer. Also make sure USB Debugging is turned on, which I think you need for ADB.
    8. Change the name of "bootubuntu[x].[x]" to just "bootubuntu"! DO NOT use the original "bootubuntu" file.
    9. If you haven't already open a command prompt and type:
      Code:
      adb shell
    10. Enter superuser mode:
      Code:
      su
    11. Change directory to the "ubuntu" folder:
      Code:
      cd /sdcard/ubuntu
    12. Run the setup script (You should only have to run this once or whenever new updates to the files are released):
      Code:
      sh ./ubuntu.sh

Once the script finished you should be good to go, type the following to run Ubuntu:
      Code:
      bootubuntu
    13. If you see something like the following below, job well done!
      Code:
      root@localhost:/#

Troubleshooting:
    • If you get any errors, please FIRST, try rebooting Adam and start back at "adb shell" step 7 and try again.
    • More to come

If you get any errors, please post at what step number you got an error and post as much detailed info as you can about the error. Myself and others will do what we can to help.

Resources:
    http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-nexus-oneandroid/
    http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/workaround-run-ubuntu-now
    Thank you for showing the initiative, tillum, but unfortunately I am going to have to move the other thread into General for the time being. When any actual active development gets under way, PM me and I will gladly move it back here immediately.

I also believe webs05's plan for this thread to become a "one stop shop" for Ubuntu on the Adam, regardless of method, is a great idea. Perhaps if/when your way of running Ubuntu natively gets fleshed out, yours can remain as the actual development thread for native Ubuntu installation technique and webs05's can be the overall sticky describing how to do it either way.

Designating the threads in this manner will make them more useful for the community at a glance, with less searching required and less clutter in the dev section (until there's reason to warrant the space used--active development). Plus, lets face it. Many users under-utilize the search function, so the more efficiently that the information can be disseminated, the better.

If anyone disagrees with taking this direction for the threads, please PM me and we'll sort it out. :)

If you want separate threads that is okay with me. My preference would be to have all information in the same place and any steps you came up with for natively running Ubuntu we could put in my second comment I reserved.

Part of my preference for having it all in one place is that its a one stop shop for users. And there will be no duplication of effort. For instance, it is likely we both will be using the same Ubuntu image and kernel.

Good idea. Have just created a thread for native installs of Ubuntu. It's http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=955102

webs05, could you edit this thread, and rename it to getting Ubuntu running within android? Also, would be great if you could link to the thread above in your first post.

This thread is an awesome way to get Ubuntu functionality on the Adam, and shouldn't get bogged down with posts it wasn't intended for. Cheers. Tillum
    That's fine willverduzco, but please delete my other thread, it will just get too confusing! Much happier with just using this one. Thanks for your consideration, but I'm not attached to any method, and have no claim over it. Cheers.

Thank you for showing the initiative, tillum, but unfortunately I am going to have to move the other thread into General for the time being. When any actual active development gets under way, PM me and I will gladly move it back here immediately.

I also believe webs05's plan for this thread to become a "one stop shop" for Ubuntu on the Adam, regardless of method, is a great idea. Perhaps if/when your way of running Ubuntu natively gets fleshed out, yours can remain as the actual development thread for native Ubuntu installation technique and webs05's can be the overall sticky describing how to do it either way.

Designating the threads in this manner will make them more useful for the community at a glance, with less searching required and less clutter in the dev section (until there's reason to warrant the space used--active development). Plus, lets face it. Many users under-utilize the search function, so the more efficiently that the information can be disseminated, the better.

If anyone disagrees with taking this direction for the threads, please PM me and we'll sort it out. :)
    @ willverduzco, that makes sense to me.

@ tillum, thanks for your hard work and ability to jump in and help. I really appreciate it and the community will too. I'll be counting on your experience for getting Ubuntu running natively.

In the meantime, hopefully I will have some files ready for testing by the end of this week for running Ubuntu on Adam.

I'm assuming people following this thread want to get this working. But before anyone starts testing, make sure you are 1) rooted with Titanium Backup (TB) and Busybox installed 2) comfortable and knowledgeable on how to recover your Adam and get it back to stock 3) actually have practice restoring to stock and restoring backups 4) comfortable with backup and restore methods (using whatever method you are comfortable with) 5) prepared for some headaches and have patience for my inevitable mistakes.

That said if you have an Adam, want to help out, and are okay with the 5 items above than stay tuned. I am hoping to have files to test with by the end of this wee. I am pretty free this week besides tomorrow and have most of the weekend to dedicate.

:D
    Hi darethehair. Good question. The main issue with the adam is the tegra 250 chip it's running, which amongst other things is an arm processor. Until recently, Ubuntu hasn't been able to run on arm. Nor would you have wanted it to, as arm wasn't powerful enough. Times have changed, and now arm processors are being used extensively for tablets, smartphones, netbooks, etc.

The Ubuntu community is making a huge push towads mobile computing. You can see this in the more recent support for several arm boards, as well as the redesigned touch-centric ui coming out with the next release. While this development is moving very fast, some of the newer arm platforms aren't supported yet.

Our hope with this thread is to work on Ubuntu support with the adam, which uses the tegra 250 chip. Most tablets set to launch this year also use this same chip, so I would hope much of the work we do will carry across. That will always depend on the manufacturers though, particularly how many 'blocks' they put in place to stop you from doing this in the first place. (Motorola has a particularly bad track record)

So to answer your question, yes, much of what we do here will support other tablets, providing they have a tegra 250 chipset. The actual image we use will probably transfer across with little hassle. How you root them and actually install Ubuntu on them is a different matter, and beyond the scope of this thread.

Cheers.