Google wallet fix for SGS3 US variants VERIZON, AT&T, T-MOBILE, US Cellular, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ogdobber

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2008
now that the (US) Galaxy sIII forums are split up, I am posting this here as well...
however downloads and discussion in original thread in the at&t section

*The lib&nfc fix is intended touchwiz roms
For CM9/10,aokp, and any other aosp rom, just flash the desired version wallet as the libs and nfc apk are correct

latest Wallet version 1.5-r81-v4
where google wallet works
Google wallet (rom) compatibly list
to contribute here is the google wallet compatibly list thread

Ok, first a little background

basically what you are seeing if you try to install google wallet on at&t, tmo, etc, is you get stuck on "activating device"
If you dig a little further and ran a logcat, you will see that there it no "SMX detected"

What this means, when compiling the rom you need to enable SmartMX in the config headers located in the external/libnfc-nxp library. (thats why it works on CM9/10, they do this)
this is impossible for us because there is no source for samsung's TouchWiz. We got a break on the international sgs3 as the latest update has the secure element enabled...so does the sprint sgs3

well that got me thinking, and of course sprint's nfc libs are close enough to work without breaking anything

so this is how to do it. (btw, you need root)
1-make a nandroid! I am not responsible if you mess up your device
2-edit you build.prop using root explorer (when you press save, it creates a build.prop.bak)
do not use ES explorer, it does not save correctly, for that matter ONLY use root explorer! (or adb push/pull)
/system/build.prop
preferred
Code:
ro.product.model=Galaxy Nexus
ro.product.name=yakju 
ro.product.device=maguro
or
Code:
ro.product.model=htc_jewel
ro.product.name=htc_jewel
ro.product.device=htc_jewel

3-If you already have Wallet installed...open wallet, go to settings and "reset google wallet" (if it hangs at 99%, reboot and continue with steps)
4-boot to recovery and flash SGS3-TW-US_variants-lib&nfc-fix.zip (for ics touchwiz roms) and then wallet version com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel.modaco.1.5-r81-v4.zip
(for CM9/10, I9300, aokp, aosp roms just flash the wallet zip)
5-reboot device, you will get "android is updating" (only this first boot)(all apps)
6-open google wallet and sign in. add your personal credit cards (you must add them from your desktop first if you have never used google checkout before)
7-(optional)if you get "error adding card try again later", wipe cache and davlik cache from recovery (only once! it sometimes takes hours, not minutes)
8-profit (hold on! your not done, continue on to steps 9 & 10)
9-after it is all up and running (meaning cards added), mount r/w in root explorer, delete the modded build.prop, then rename build.prop.bak to build.prop
10-make a new nandroid with working wallet and put it in a safe place in case you ever accidentally install a new ROM without resetting google wallet data.

still confused, here is a video of how to do it by moonfire711

>Special thanks to Hammermann, he did a ton of nandroids! He confirmed for me that the sprint nfc libs worked
>Special thanks to WarlockLord we now have success on verizon
>thanks to mobilehavoc for the galaxy nexus build.prop tip
>thanks to magn2o for patching the new wallet (until paul returned)
>thanks to FreydNot for for the above tip and for being brave enough to be the first to flash this to his tmobile sgs3
>thanks to chris.ayoubtexas, the first att user with success (beat out Hammerman because ES explorer was screwing him)
>thanks to Maldewka for installing and confirming functionality on US Cellular
>thanks to Paul at Modoco for the modded google wallet apk<<<Paul's thread

notes*
-if you have used google wallet on another device, your prepaid card on the sgs3 is not the same...so balances will not carry over on the prepaid card prepaid is finished
-despite the new cloud-based authentication system, the app does not require the phone to have a data connection to make payments at NFC-equipped terminals
-really the key to this fix is the libs with the security element enabled.
-the build.prop edit is for enabling cards, once they are enabled it can be reverted
-the wallet apk has 3 features patched out. The first was a device check, the second patch was an operator check and the third patch was removing the root warning
-NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER RESTORE GOOGLE WALLET WITH TITANIUM BACKUP! (please click link on step 10)

original build.prop values for at&t
Code:
ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
ro.product.name=d2uc
ro.product.device=d2att
original build.prop values for t-mobile
Code:
ro.product.model=SGH-T999
ro.product.name=d2tmo
ro.product.device=d2tmo
original build.prop values for US Cellular
Code:
ro.product.model=SCH-R530U
ro.product.name=d2usc
ro.product.device=d2usc
original build.prop values for verizon
Code:
ro.product.model=SCH-I535
ro.product.name=d2vzw
ro.product.device=d2vzw
original build.prop values for Telus, Rogers, Bell
Code:
ro.product.model=SGH-I747M
ro.product.name=d2vl
ro.product.device=d2can
original build.prop values for Wind Mobile
Code:
ro.product.model=SGH-T999V
ro.product.name=d2vw
ro.product.device=d2can

stop! if you are unclear of what to download, read the instructions again
newest files are at the bottom
downloads and discussion in original thread in the at&t section

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    now that the (US) Galaxy sIII forums are split up, I am posting this here as well...
    however downloads and discussion in original thread in the at&t section

*The lib&nfc fix is intended touchwiz roms
    For CM9/10,aokp, and any other aosp rom, just flash the desired version wallet as the libs and nfc apk are correct

latest Wallet version 1.5-r81-v4
    where google wallet works
    Google wallet (rom) compatibly list
    to contribute here is the google wallet compatibly list thread

Ok, first a little background

basically what you are seeing if you try to install google wallet on at&t, tmo, etc, is you get stuck on "activating device"
    If you dig a little further and ran a logcat, you will see that there it no "SMX detected"

What this means, when compiling the rom you need to enable SmartMX in the config headers located in the external/libnfc-nxp library. (thats why it works on CM9/10, they do this)
    this is impossible for us because there is no source for samsung's TouchWiz. We got a break on the international sgs3 as the latest update has the secure element enabled...so does the sprint sgs3

well that got me thinking, and of course sprint's nfc libs are close enough to work without breaking anything

so this is how to do it. (btw, you need root)
    1-make a nandroid! I am not responsible if you mess up your device
    2-edit you build.prop using root explorer (when you press save, it creates a build.prop.bak)
    do not use ES explorer, it does not save correctly, for that matter ONLY use root explorer! (or adb push/pull)
    /system/build.prop
    preferred
    Code:
    ro.product.model=Galaxy Nexus
    ro.product.name=yakju 
    ro.product.device=maguro
    or
    Code:
    ro.product.model=htc_jewel
    ro.product.name=htc_jewel
    ro.product.device=htc_jewel

3-If you already have Wallet installed...open wallet, go to settings and "reset google wallet" (if it hangs at 99%, reboot and continue with steps)
    4-boot to recovery and flash SGS3-TW-US_variants-lib&nfc-fix.zip (for ics touchwiz roms) and then wallet version com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel.modaco.1.5-r81-v4.zip
    (for CM9/10, I9300, aokp, aosp roms just flash the wallet zip)
    5-reboot device, you will get "android is updating" (only this first boot)(all apps)
    6-open google wallet and sign in. add your personal credit cards (you must add them from your desktop first if you have never used google checkout before)
    7-(optional)if you get "error adding card try again later", wipe cache and davlik cache from recovery (only once! it sometimes takes hours, not minutes)
    8-profit (hold on! your not done, continue on to steps 9 & 10)
    9-after it is all up and running (meaning cards added), mount r/w in root explorer, delete the modded build.prop, then rename build.prop.bak to build.prop
    10-make a new nandroid with working wallet and put it in a safe place in case you ever accidentally install a new ROM without resetting google wallet data.

still confused, here is a video of how to do it by moonfire711

>Special thanks to Hammermann, he did a ton of nandroids! He confirmed for me that the sprint nfc libs worked
    >Special thanks to WarlockLord we now have success on verizon
    >thanks to mobilehavoc for the galaxy nexus build.prop tip
    >thanks to magn2o for patching the new wallet (until paul returned)
    >thanks to FreydNot for for the above tip and for being brave enough to be the first to flash this to his tmobile sgs3
    >thanks to chris.ayoubtexas, the first att user with success (beat out Hammerman because ES explorer was screwing him)
    >thanks to Maldewka for installing and confirming functionality on US Cellular
    >thanks to Paul at Modoco for the modded google wallet apk<<<Paul's thread

notes*
    -if you have used google wallet on another device, your prepaid card on the sgs3 is not the same...so balances will not carry over on the prepaid card prepaid is finished
    -despite the new cloud-based authentication system, the app does not require the phone to have a data connection to make payments at NFC-equipped terminals
    -really the key to this fix is the libs with the security element enabled.
    -the build.prop edit is for enabling cards, once they are enabled it can be reverted
    -the wallet apk has 3 features patched out. The first was a device check, the second patch was an operator check and the third patch was removing the root warning
    -NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER RESTORE GOOGLE WALLET WITH TITANIUM BACKUP! (please click link on step 10)

original build.prop values for at&t
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
    ro.product.name=d2uc
    ro.product.device=d2att
    original build.prop values for t-mobile
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SGH-T999
    ro.product.name=d2tmo
    ro.product.device=d2tmo
    original build.prop values for US Cellular
    Code: