IR receiver is weird (like moving) on top...

Search This thread

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Just bought a Note 2014, and I love this device.
But the IR receiver on the top is not really solid, as in I can move it with my finger around, like it's not tightened/fastened down.

All models are like this, or did I get a faulty device?
(can replace it for free in 10 days or so.)

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Mine is really solid! Align with the bezel and don't move.

Talked with the provider, they said I have to take it in.
I hope they will be able to get me a new one. Don't want to get it to Samsung and wait weeks.

Samsung and Quality... meh.

Ps.: This might be important, but the "Do not accept if seal is broken" ... was broken when I got the device.
This carrier is annoying the _HELL_ out of me.

1) You have to buy online from them if don't want to pay more. (WHAT)
2) The postman brings your device, you have to sign a crapload of papers, and you don't even see the box. Then he is off. Yeah, the box is sealed with a plastic bag (which was unopened), but the Note box was opened.
3) You have to wait UP TO 15 (FIFTEEN) days to get your SIM card activated, so you can't even call your carrier.

It's stupid, unprofessional, crappy. (It's TELENOR by the way. The country's worst provider. Well, I think it's the worst in the world. Never, ever sign up to them.

Last edited:

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a

Here is a video of the issue.

You can hear the "clicking" sound as it moves around in the socket.
I did not push it too hard or try to disassemble it in any way. I just tapped it. Tried to make it audible as possible, that's all.

Ps.: I don't want to sound like a crybaby, but this is not a cheap-o 30$ tablet.

Last edited:

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
Many have this problem with both speaker grills, which should be more annoying. Or the whole frame is loose. So things could well get worse for you, if you get it exchanged.
For the worst case, the loose frame, the manual has the audacity to state that this is normal with time (so no warranty here).

Last edited:

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Mine is a little loose, but just a little.

Enviado desde mi SM-P600 mediante Tapatalk

Yeah, mine too is like that.
To be honest, I just want them to verify the issue. Because I'm sure it works, and I won't ever use it.
But God as my witness... if Sammy would see this problem, they would say I used the tablet for digging holes in the ground, to skateboard and whatnot. Because against Sammy, you lose. You are the public enemy no. 1 for them.
Which is kind of sad. (I already have an S3 LTE... damn.)
But Apple is even worse.

Oh well.
So yeah. If they write it down with signature that the issue existed, and I did not cause it, and there is warranty... it's fine with me.

mjrshark

Jan 30, 2011
mine is lil loose and i didnt notice till i read your post , but will it works and not gonna fell off , if ya touch it with ya finger and kinda stick and move it fast you will hear tick.

btw , samsung is great on hardware and good on software , kinda sux at devices build , you cant get all 100% :)
many devices i've seen looks/build great but cant do what sammy's devices do

wish am wrong :(

Last edited:

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a

The main problem here is the PRICE.
It costs more than an iPad, which is one overpriced hipster device out there.

Of course it comes with the S-Pen, and the awesome display...
But man. The whole build looks... kinda lame (considering the price). Not that I care about looks too much, as long as if it's built OK and it works OK.

So anyway. For this price, I expect quality.
Both for a tablet, for a phone, or whatever.
If this would be a 30-50$ tablet, I say, sure. Hell, this can happen.
But for THIS price?
Like who checks the products? A monkey plays with them and throws them into the next box or what? Because any person could spot these issues. (Just like the multitouch problem...)

Whatever. I'm still mad at Samsung. I'm ready to fight another battle with them.
They also tripped KNOX at my carrier.... so that will be an another one.
(Asked a newbie support guy to revert my firmware. He said he can do it.
Of course he bricked the phone and when I got it back with 4.3 (S3), it had KNOX 0x1. Which I only discovered later.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tl;dr / rant over:
Alright, alright. Rant over.
I'll go to the shop today and ask the rep what to do.
There is a replacement guarantee at them, but they have no tablets left.
And you can only replace it for the same model, or something that costs more.
But this is the highest priced device they have..... so I wonder about the outcome.

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Update #1:

Today I spent 4 hours, had several fights with the carrier, etc.
It would be a 2 A4 paper long story, so I'll post it later in case you guys are interested, but will keep it short for now.

- Sammy said in 72 hours you can replace your newly bought device.
- Carrier said I have right to replace in 10 days.
- The Samsung shop's device did not have this problem. Nor the new one that the rep guy took out of the box.

For now, I had to give it to the official service (carrier's) to get a paper that I can replace it.
It sounds silly, it is silly. Will talk about it later.

Anyway. Tablet is in service now, and I made a formal complaint against the shop that refused to replace the device, and also contacted local consumer rights. I hate when companies lie into my face. Especially that 10 day replacement deal. It's a clear lie, if they don't replace my device.

Reactions: benni_1994

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
My IR reciever is loose and speaker grills are moving too but honestly aslong as everything else is fine I wouldnt send it for repair thats for sure. It would come back worse thats guaranteed lol. As long as you get a brand new one then thats alright but trust me dont get them to repair it as its not worth the possible defects it will return with.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
My IR reciever is loose and speaker grills are moving too but honestly aslong as everything else is fine I wouldnt send it for repair thats for sure. It would come back worse thats guaranteed lol. As long as you get a brand new one then thats alright but trust me dont get them to repair it as its not worth the possible defects it will return with.

Let me understand this post.
So you paid a fortune for a device, and you are fine with it if it's plain ****?
Mate. That thing is not supposed to move.
If they mess up, then complain about them, request a refund.

YOU are the customer, YOU pay them.
Be a "scumbag customer" (at least that's what my friend calls me). It's your money, your device, you paid for it.
If they mess up, I will contact the supervisor of the service and the consumer rights service.
Thus, either getting a full refund, or a new device completely with some bonus granted.

Seriously.
What the hell?
Like people are AFRAID of companies.... why?

Before you ask, YES, YOU HAVE A FAULTY DEVICE.
The one at Samsung, and the brand new that they opened, HAD NO MOVING PARTS.
They were so rock solid, you could kill people with them. (or whatever.)
But you know, they was *built OK*. Ours are not built fine, they are faulty devices.

Come on guys, step it up.

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Let me understand this post.
So you paid a fortune for a device, and you are fine with it if it's plain ****?
Mate. That thing is not supposed to move.
If they mess up, then complain about them, request a refund.

YOU are the customer, YOU pay them.
Be a "scumbag customer" (at least that's what my friend calls me). It's your money, your device, you paid for it.
If they mess up, I will contact the supervisor of the service and the consumer rights service.
Thus, either getting a full refund, or a new device completely with some bonus granted.

Seriously.
What the hell?
Like people are AFRAID of companies.... why?

Lol I'm not afraid its just I dont care about loose IR blaster. I got an exchange coz of screenlight bleed which was something that bothered me a lot.

And your mates wrong, you paid for something and its not to your liking so theres nothing wrong with bugging them.

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Yeah, that friend is an idiot anyway.
Anyway. What kind of bleed you mean? (I used that multitouch testing app and boy, did I have a white-ish black screen there...)
I thought that's normal, like it's a ****ty panel or something.

Hahaha.

There is a thread on it here. But basically when watching/viewing somethjng at night along the bottom of the display white patches are visable on dark display. Lightbleed is common with LCD's and everyone has a little (the note I have now has a bit) but I guess just like the IR blaster evryone has their own limits they are willing to accept.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2523951
@h8Aramex Found the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: h8Aramex

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have a faulty device, mine is very stable :p

S4 9505 / Note 10.1 2014 P600
    Hit the Thanks button if I was able to help you :)
    Update #1:

Today I spent 4 hours, had several fights with the carrier, etc.
    It would be a 2 A4 paper long story, so I'll post it later in case you guys are interested, but will keep it short for now.

- Sammy said in 72 hours you can replace your newly bought device.
    - Carrier said I have right to replace in 10 days.
    - The Samsung shop's device did not have this problem. Nor the new one that the rep guy took out of the box.

For now, I had to give it to the official service (carrier's) to get a paper that I can replace it.
    It sounds silly, it is silly. Will talk about it later.

Anyway. Tablet is in service now, and I made a formal complaint against the shop that refused to replace the device, and also contacted local consumer rights. I hate when companies lie into my face. Especially that 10 day replacement deal. It's a clear lie, if they don't replace my device.
    Yeah, that friend is an idiot anyway.
    Anyway. What kind of bleed you mean? (I used that multitouch testing app and boy, did I have a white-ish black screen there...)
    I thought that's normal, like it's a ****ty panel or something.

Hahaha.

There is a thread on it here. But basically when watching/viewing somethjng at night along the bottom of the display white patches are visable on dark display. Lightbleed is common with LCD's and everyone has a little (the note I have now has a bit) but I guess just like the IR blaster evryone has their own limits they are willing to accept.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2523951
    @h8Aramex Found the thread.

You do understand how mass-production works, right? Let me preface this by saying that even from your video, I cannot accurately measure how much your ir blaster cover was moving, but maybe I can help you to understand why this sort of thing occurs. Hint: it's not because of ****ty quality or quality control.

Everything that is man made has a tolerance level. With metal, such as the iPad, those tolerances can be much smaller, and therefore attain a much tighter fit and finish. However, people on here and elsewhere report returning and exchanging iPads just as often for inconsistencies in other places, such as light bleed or screen yellowing. Those too have tolerances that the factory has deemed appropriate for shipment, even though they may not align with what the more discerning customer may expect.

In terms of Samsung, they usually use plastic exteriors. Due to the nature of pliable plastic, the tolerances are not as tight as with metal. Think about it this way, when Samsung produces that cover on the IR blaster, they don't precision cut one to exact specifications and install it. They have a machine, with it's own limiting tolerances that cuts and chops likely tens of thousands per day. Those are likely sifted to remove blatantly bad parts, and the rest are used in devices. But there is also a tolerance level in the hole cut in the plastic frame. Those two tolerances must be taken together to understand fitment. I am sure that Samsung does QC check their devices, but they certainly don't do every single one. It's just not feasible when you produce millions of devices.

This is why some people will experience an IR blaster cover that fits perfect, and one that is almost perfect that moves a little. Some will also experience ones that move more than average. The same applies to the speaker grills.

I don't remember the exact specification, but most, if not all, LCD manufacturers allow for a certain number of dead or stuck pixels. I want to say that it varies by size of screen, ranging from about 3 to 10 or so. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. To me, having 5 stuck or dead pixels would likely be irritating and unacceptable in my screens, but I don't set the tolerances. I would replace the screen if this were the case, but sometimes a manufacturer will deny warranty if it falls within their allowances.

My Note 10.1 2014 exhibits very slight movement in the IR blaster shield, slight button wiggle, and no speaker grill movement. The speaker grill movement would not bother me so long as it didn't audibly rattle when sound was played. But if any of these things ever did degrade to become annoying, I would probably fix it myself instead of having a repair shop make it worse. The IR blaster could have been secured with a micro-dab of superglue and it never would have moved again. Easy fix, for those whom it annoys. same with the speaker grills as well. Buttons can be finicky, but I have yet to have any long term problems with any of my Android devices. By the way, this is my first Samsung Android product, but I love their TVs.

It is well within your right to complain and bug companies about a product that is not up to standards. Just bear in mind that what they deem acceptable and what you deem acceptable will very likely vary, and that may cause issue with some companies. In the end, you will never find a perfect device from ANY manufacturer. You will only find one that meets or exceeds YOUR standards, but there will very likely be other people for whom the device may not. It is the very nature of mass production, or any production really. Take your pick, there are tolerances in everything. Cars, houses, tech devices. The question is: What are you willing to live with?