Quick question..

Search This thread

GuAcHi

Jun 22, 2010
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I'm new 2 the rooting and the Android itself.. I got the 2.2 on my EVO like most ppl have via update, I'm kinda skeptical of rooting it still.. I guess my question is, is it worth rooting it and what changes on the device itself?

Any information would and will be extremely appreciated..

Thanx in advance...

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

nenn

Apr 28, 2010
New York City
Good day to you.

First off. welcome. second, as its your FIRST post I hope you wont get flamed too hard because there are many many threads that cover the pros/cons of rooting.

I suggest next time you have a question, take a minute to use the search function (and post in the right forum! questions go in Q&A).

A few quick pros of rooting.

Free wireless tether (sharing your phones internet connection with a laptop or other wifi enabled device)

The ability to flash custom ROMs, these are the operating systems of the phone, they're all built off of (for the most part) stock htc/sprint images, but there are plenty and many options, find one that suits your needs and try it out.

Custom kernels, they are the set of drivers and the "brain" of your phone, want it overclocked? get a custom kernel, want it undervolted (Save battery) get a custom kernel. many options to choose from

Custom Boot screens.

Root only applications, titanium backup (backs up stuff, i dont use it so i cant elaborate), shootme (screenshot program) and others im sure.

Hope this clears up some stuff, welcome, use the search (really im just trying to help ya here) and have fun!

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
Round of applause for nenn. While I agree with your first few sentences, there aren't many "nice guys" on this site and especially on the Evo boards. People tend to forget that this phone is relatively new and has attracted many new people to the world of Android (like myself) who know nothing about anything.

OP: A few things you can do with root that nenn did not mention:

1) You can read/write from your SD card.
2) You can remove all the garbage that your phone came loaded with from Sprint and HTC (like Sprint Nascar and Peep).
3) With Titanium back-up, it allows you to transfer all user apps to the SD card keeping your phones internal memory clean, you can back up and restore all apps and system data, and you can use it to uninstall apps you don't want as mentioned in point #2.
4) Custom kernels also remove the 30 fps cap on our phones (I get 52 fps average with my set up).
5) You can use other root-only programs like ROM Manager which lets you flash files onto your phone easily via a custom recovery. Also, you can back up several ROM's and switch from one to the other, or go back to a previous working ROM if you flash something on your phone that doesn't sit well with it.

If everything that we have mentioned means nothing to you, then just enjoy your phone as it is. It is a great device and you can get plenty of use out if without rooting it.

GuAcHi

Jun 22, 2010
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Thanx to the both of ya.. I do luv the phone the way it is and specially since yesterday I turned on the 4G and it actually came on, you can pretty much assume my excitement lol.. But I'll read up on the pros/cons of rooting before I make any decision as to root my Evo..

Thanx again..

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
*bow* thanks for the kind words rudegraw, its not a day from hell at work so im in a chipper mood for the most part, yesterday, i woulda ripped this yougin to shreads so i posted very little, lol.

eh? what do you mean? thats worded very oddly.

I'd rather not get into details about this on the thread. I worded it this way on purpose. PM me and I'd be more than happy to explain what I meant.

shooff37

Aug 27, 2010
Chicago
Rooting 2.2

I am rooting for the first time and I'm stuck now. I am in the section where you enter the commands into the cmd command box.

I just entered the ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

and it says that it not found but when I entered it earlier it worke just fine, can anyone help me plz

goldt

Dec 27, 2008
Round of applause for nenn. While I agree with your first few sentences, there aren't many "nice guys" on this site and especially on the Evo boards. People tend to forget that this phone is relatively new and has attracted many new people to the world of Android (like myself) who know nothing about anything.

OP: A few things you can do with root that nenn did not mention:

1) You can read/write from your SD card.
2) You can remove all the garbage that your phone came loaded with from Sprint and HTC (like Sprint Nascar and Peep).
3) With Titanium back-up, it allows you to transfer all user apps to the SD card keeping your phones internal memory clean, you can back up and restore all apps and system data, and you can use it to uninstall apps you don't want as mentioned in point #2.
4) Custom kernels also remove the 30 fps cap on our phones (I get 52 fps average with my set up).
5) You can use other root-only programs like ROM Manager which lets you flash files onto your phone easily via a custom recovery. Also, you can back up several ROM's and switch from one to the other, or go back to a previous working ROM if you flash something on your phone that doesn't sit well with it.

If everything that we have mentioned means nothing to you, then just enjoy your phone as it is. It is a great device and you can get plenty of use out if without rooting it.

Recording at 720p, is it any better with 52 fps?

Last edited: