Search This thread

domyue

Sep 11, 2007
London
Nandroid is a whole rom backup which you can roll back to, titanium backup is for user apps and user app data (not system app/data).

If the apps are originally installed in micro-SD card then when re-applying the backup, when I put a blank memory card back in, will it re-install those apps onto the memory card again??

Thanks

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
domyue said:
If the apps are originally installed in micro-SD card then when re-applying the backup, when I put a blank memory card back in, will it re-install those apps onto the memory card again??

Thanks

No, it won't install them automatically.

p4nts

Apr 30, 2011
Reinstalled VR yesterday which went fine except VR Tweaks is now not showing any patches - refreshes okay but does not find anything?

Is then a just me or is anyone else getting this?

VR 3.0
VR Tweaks 1.3.1

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

p4nts

Apr 30, 2011
In Titanium Backup, you can choose whether it restores apps to the SD Card or internal memory, in the preferences. Not sure whether that is only available in the paid version?

52294a43-a8b0-6620.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
BTW, I've been on XWLA4 for nearly a week - I haven't seen noticeable improvements over XWKL1 (I didn't have any of the issues reported 1-2 pages ago), but no apparent regressions either. So LA4 might be a safe base for one final release - personally I think more people should beat on it though.

Reactions: jermitano

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Entropy512 said:
BTW, I've been on XWLA4 for nearly a week - I haven't seen noticeable improvements over XWKL1 (I didn't have any of the issues reported 1-2 pages ago), but no apparent regressions either. So LA4 might be a safe base for one final release - personally I think more people should beat on it though.

Thanks

Battletux

Nov 27, 2005
Is there anyway in VR3 to have apps etc use the external SD card by default for storage instead of the internal SD?
I ask as I want to make the most of my 32gb card and to stop the internal storage filling up (too much offline spotify mainly).
Ideally I'm looking for an apps2externalSD type setup.

lensman76

Feb 5, 2010
Couldn't you store your spotify music on external SD card instead?

Just a guess as I have no idea if you can...

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator

+1 on XWLA4... stable as a rock.

Reactions: vhce

bgn9000

Jan 12, 2011
Versailles
That is what he tries to avoid.

https://github.com/Ninpo/ninphetamine/commits/master - You'll see that master only has build cleanups, gitignores, and upstream (samsung) patches in it.

Not that developing in master is explicitly bad - a lot of people (including myself) do it (although with ICS I will probably move more into branches). However, if you're using the Ninphetamine name, one should continue the development methodology and philosophy of its creator.

Mort de rire !

This is so simple to say useless things without knowing people.
Perhaps you are not so confident in yourself.

stylez

Moderator Emeritus
Mort de rire !

This is so simple to say useless things without knowing people.
Perhaps you are not so confident in yourself.

Don't go making issues in other developers threads you was requested to rename kernel from original developer. Pretty simple request to which could have been followed.....

The only thing you will be certain of with this kind of posting is a vacation.

Nuff said!

Sent from the valley of the shadows....

Reactions: af974

domyue

Sep 11, 2007
London
Hi,

I've flashed VR 3.0 just now. Unfortunately, now my PC doesn't recognise the phone as it used to do (just before flashing, it was recognizing two drives under My Computer when I activate USB connection on the phone). I've heard it could be something to do with drivers for 2.3.5 not being present or something?

How can I make my PC see my phone as drives again?

UPDATE: If I deselect USB debugging, then windows recognises my phone as a 'phone'. Would be great to have it recognise when USB debug is on though...

Thanks!

Last edited:

happiboi

Aug 27, 2010
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi,

I've flashed VR 3.0 just now. Unfortunately, now my PC doesn't recognise the phone as it used to do (just before flashing, it was recognizing two drives under My Computer when I activate USB connection on the phone). I've heard it could be something to do with drivers for 2.3.5 not being present or something?

How can I make my PC see my phone as drives again?

UPDATE: If I deselect USB debugging, then windows recognises my phone as a 'phone'. Would be great to have it recognise when USB debug is on though...

Thanks!

unplug phone from pc.... disable USB debugging then re-enable USB debugging.. plug back into PC... this is what i did and works fine. :D

frottage

Aug 27, 2007
Anyone heard anything about ICS release ? I thought Sammy were due to give us something in 1st March ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vr_forum_logo.png

VillainROM 3.0 for Samsung Galaxy S 2

So that old thread was long... Very long... It had good memories, but it's time to move on to a new thread, as 10k posts is just too much, and there are some more changes this time round. First off, it's as usual, a CWM flashable zip file. But, in a slight change of direction in light of Ninpo and Netarchy's Ninphetamine kernel being more complete, version 2.0.5 is now included. That is newer than the version released in the thread, but it will be updated in due course.

So for now, here's what's new in Version 3.0

- Fully deodexed
    - Introduction of Ninphetamine kernel into the ROM (version 2.0.5 with BLN etc) - Note that BLN doesn't work with the stock SMS app, but Handcent is fine. I will look at ways to trigger BLN from the Messaging app later
    - Install the BLN app from the market to use this
    - Removal of Diginotar root certificates from the trusted store, given they are about as secure as a paper bank vault.
    - All the usual stuff, although VRTweaks will be added from scratch again, since this seems a newer and better base.
    - Re-addition of SIP since Samsung thinks you should be deprived of it.

Additionally, this is a way to try out the official KI3 ROM, without the bootloader being touched, thus allowing the USB jig to continue to working. To re-iterate, VR never flashes radios or bootloaders, so is safe. Stock ROMs, and other custom ROMs which are ODIN flashed, or indeed ZIPs, can and do sometimes flash these things without telling you. Just be aware - Samsung knows about the USB jig resetting the counter, and is on it...

Install procedure, and other details to come in following posts.

Contributing VRTweaks to VillainROM

Iff you want your tweak in VillainTweaks (with full credits etc) then please PM LennyUK with a description, screenshot if you have one to hand and a direct link (xda attachment, dropbox or your own server) No file hosts please.

We will add them to VRTweaks, so users can install them without having to download files to their phone. Likewise, if users find nice tweaks, let Lenny know :)
    VillainROM Installation Instructions

To follow these instructions we presume you already have access to Clockworkmod recovery, and are able to put the zip file onto the SD card, and flash it.

If you are coming from a ROM other than VillainROM 1.2 or above, then you should carry out a full wipe. In fact, you should be carrying out a full wipe anyway, but it's not strictly 100% necessary if you are just coming from the previous version.

Coming from Another ROM

Ensure CWM recovery is available, do a CWM/nandroid backup and titanium backup, and put the zip onto the root of the internal SD.
    Enter CWM, carry out a factory reset, and cache wipe, and flash the ROM via "Install zip from SD" option.
    Reboot the phone into VillainROM, bearing in mind the first boot may take some time on the boot animation.

To use BLN

Ensure you are using the included Ninphetamine kernel, and install this app from the market (free, paid version with more features available)
    IF YOU THINK THE ROM ISN'T ROOTED, INSTALL SUPERUSER FROM THE MARKET. IF YOU WANT CWM APP, GET IT FROM THE ATTACHMENTS LIST

Complete list of Attachments to this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=1198334
    Super happy fun times

OK, so I think it's time to explain what this is about. It's born from the idea that came about on IRC, for a way to make a theme once for a ROM, rather than have to adjust it for each incremental update for a given ROM or ROMs.

As a user, you don't need to know much - just flash this zip like a regular zip, and you'll get your theme running. But you should be able to apply themes to any device, ROM, and version of the ROM, without it causing adverse effects. That means less time spent by themers making the original theme, and less time spent modifying it constantly for new versions of ROMs.

As a themer? Well, here is the information:

• Inside the zip, in the vrtheme folder, you can create a folder called "system" and "data". The former is required, the latter is not required unless you wanted to theme a data app (strongly not recommended, unless you know the app will be there on every phone)
    • Inside the system or data folder, create a subfolder "app", and in these, make subfolders named EXACTLY after the APK name. For example, to theme the Browser, you need a folder called "Browser.apk". It must be correctly capitalised.
    • Within there, place the files you require for your theme, in the relevant locations. So most PNGs will be in res/drawable-hdpi/. You can put in xml files too (those which are not in resources.arsc), if you compile them via apktool, and extract them with a zip tool.
    • In the vrtheme folder, as well as system and data folder, one called "raw" can exist. Within here, you can place files to be copied verbatim to the ROM (for example, modified JAR files). Note that using this may make the theme device dependent (read WILL make it device dependent)
    • And that's about it. :)

Features
    • Will modify APKs in a ROM, without changing signatures, and can be used on any ROM where the filenames of themed files is the same.
    • Should not need updated between versions of a ROM
    • Zipaligns all APKs before installation
    • Stores a backup of all files being modified in /cache/vrtheme-backup/
    • Requires no coding abilities or editing of files - just drag and drop :)
    • Can copy "raw" files, though at risk of not working on other devices (well, let's face it, it won't work on likely a slightly different ROM, so this feature is not recommended or encouraged)

Credits

Doctorcete for the original idea in a discussion on IRC
    Stericson for the original idea of metamorph. While totally different, it's a shared goal to separate themes from ROMs
    Matt from the Metamorph team, for the zip binary compiled for Android
    Seshy, for testing

EULA

Nothing evil or complicated - just a few little things. You should not charge for access to this code. That includes a zip containing this, or a derivative of it. So please don't sell themes using it. That's not particularly cool. If you want to use it commercially for some reason, get in touch with us.

If you spot a bug or error, and find a fix, please reply in this thread and let us know, or post the changes you made. If you're going to distribute the changed version, it is expected that you share the change made by contacting us, or posting it here.

Finally, don't be a douche - don't rip this off or call it your own, and leave all headers and comments identifying the origin of the code in place. Don't rename this to match your ROM or "team" name - it's not cool, and it's not yours to go and adjust. I chose to make this a readable "plain" script, but can easily obfuscate and encrypt it if you want to be a douche.

Copyright VillainROM (2011). All rights reserved

The actual download is on the way :)