Skype 2.0 video released

Search This thread

aoprea

Nov 20, 2007
Iasi

scorpeeon

Jan 15, 2011
same here, no video on galaxy s..
anyone knows how it identifies the phone? maybe if you modify it's identifier to nexus s it would work?

penfold

May 20, 2010
also now has a running service that doesn't let u close the app.
what is with devs that think their app is so great that you shouldn't be allowed to close it and it must remain constantly running?

Dishe

Oct 18, 2006
could the magic combination be the latest Gingerbread + FFC?

One of the advantages to the latest Ginger, if I recall correctly, was native APIs for a front camera (until now, apps had to be coded for specific camera devices- that's why some video chat apps only supported some hardware).

Are these maybe the only devices running the latest Google update that happen to sport a front camera?

scottlinux

Aug 9, 2010
Start hacking! From the skype 2 apk:

Code:
{white:[{name:"HTC Saga",                mft:"(?i)HTC",                         
 board:"(?i)saga",    
model:"(?i)HTC saga",       product:"(?i)htc_saga",       
device:"(?i)saga"},{name:"HTC Desire S",            mft:"(?i)HTC",                         
 board:"(?i)saga",    
model:"(?i)HTC Desire S",   product:"(?i)htc_saga",       
device:"(?i)saga"},

{name:"Nexus S",                 mft:"(?i)samsung",                     
 board:"(?i)herring", 
model:"(?i)Nexus S",     
  product:"(?i)soju",           
device:"(?i)crespo"},

{name:"Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo",mft:"(?i)Sony Ericsson",brand:"(?i)SEMC",board:"(?i)unknown", 
model:"(?i)MT15[ai]",       product:"(?i)MT15[ai]_.*",
device:"(?i)MT15[ai]"},{name:"Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro",mft:"(?i)Sony Ericsson",brand:"(?i)SEMC",board:"(?i)unknown", 
model:"(?i)MK16[ai]",       product:"(?i)MK16[ai]_.*",
device:"(?i)MK16[ai]"}]}

Dishe

Oct 18, 2006
Just occurred to me- Nexus S 4G isn't working. Nexus S GSM unlocked is.
Maybe the reason for these specific devices is Skype still has some kind of contract with Verizon for Droid video calling?

I recall Skype video on the Thunderbolt being an exclusive Android offering which VZ apparently paid for. Maybe Skype is allowed to offer Android for other non-US carrier affiliated devices? As far as I know, none of the phones offered are available through a national carrier here, and all have a front facing camera and the latest Gingerbread OS. Maybe I found the pattern?

Anyway, that being said, unlike the thunderbolt version which was heavily tied to that hardware, I bet we can crack this baby open to work on other Ginger devices at least!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, you can try it on other devices running 2.3+ with front-cam.
    See if it works ;)
    We need the guys that worked on the Netflix APK to take a look at it. I'd love for this to be on my sensation.
    Please hack this application !!!
    wow .. i found a version of skype 2.0 working on honeycomb 3.1 tablet .. but still without video.
    Does anybody know how to change to code to edit these device restrictions ?