[ROOT] TF101 ICS from OTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Hello,

This is a new root method.

This is a linux / OSX version only for now.

When you untar the file. Please make sure to edit the runme.sh it has a path for adb that you need to fix. Other then that it will work.

You just chmod 755 runme.sh and run it :)

[COLOR="Red"]Mod Edit: removed link[/COLOR]

EDIT: This has been confirmed working on the TF201 and TF101 so its a Universal root for all transformers

EDIT: Adding a step by step guide here.

A) Install an app from market any app. (I choose rootchecker)
B) Open the app-draw and select the asus backup utility and backup rootchecker
C) follow the scripts instructions
D) When it asks you to do another backup. Go into the backup utility from the TF101/TF201 (from the app-draw) go to back and RE-BACKUP the SAME app (Rootchecker in my case)
E) The system will reboot and you will have root. Do this all while the script is running. It will pause and ask you do the above items.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I'm already rooted, but I like the technique- it's quite clever and a wonderful hack.

I don't recall there ever being so many root exploits for a single device. It's like a tablet with a free puzzle that keeps giving. People are going to start buying the TF just to root it.

frankwhite8536

Mar 14, 2011
I tried another way to root but when i rebooted i have cwm 3101 and su which updated but not the binaries. When i try anything its telling me i don't have root access.

Now when i try to rerun it or this it hangs right at waiting for device in the beginning. Any thoughts?

Windows 7 x64 machine
B50

Last edited:
I tried another way to root but when i rebooted i have cwm 3101 and su which updated but not the binaries. When i try anything its telling me i don't have root access.

Now when i try to rerun it or this it hangs right at waiting for device in the beginning. Any thoughts?

Windows 7 x64 machine
B50

Dont know much about windows sorry. I used my method here to root on ICS. Started from stock -> Ota X 3 or 4 then root.

Reactions: frankwhite8536

sarreq

Aug 31, 2010
so this will root the official update? if so, i may be interested, but i need to know what kernel version is included in the official FOTA package. if it's still 2.6, i won't bother

sarreq

Aug 31, 2010
2.6.39.4-00002
Neptune #1
thank you both.
you'd think they would've updated that, since ICS proper is supposed to run on a 3.x kernel.
so, will a honeycomb CIFS.KO work with the FOTA? or is there an ICS specific CIFS module somewhere out there? / nevermind, found it here nope, wrong again, that's for the tfprime, and causes a bootloop when it loads. i guess we have to wait for one to be ported, then?

Last edited:

tomdot

Mar 23, 2007
update: resolved. Didn't know about the App Backup Utility

Worked as promised. Remember you must run the Asus Backup Utility twice!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    well adapted it to windows in case anyone needs it

Just extract the zip file, execute the run.bat and follow the onscreen instructions.
    Hello,

This is a new root method.

This is a linux / OSX version only for now.

When you untar the file. Please make sure to edit the runme.sh it has a path for adb that you need to fix. Other then that it will work.

You just chmod 755 runme.sh and run it :)

[COLOR="Red"]Mod Edit: removed link[/COLOR]

EDIT: This has been confirmed working on the TF201 and TF101 so its a Universal root for all transformers

EDIT: Adding a step by step guide here.

A) Install an app from market any app. (I choose rootchecker)
    B) Open the app-draw and select the asus backup utility and backup rootchecker
    C) follow the scripts instructions
    D) When it asks you to do another backup. Go into the backup utility from the TF101/TF201 (from the app-draw) go to back and RE-BACKUP the SAME app (Rootchecker in my case)
    E) The system will reboot and you will have root. Do this all while the script is running. It will pause and ask you do the above items.

Thanks!
    This is how XDA is. Mods delete posts. After they have been called out.

ORIG POST BY ME: http://twitter.com/#!/rhcp011235/status/174192976510189568
    The most annoying part tbh. 5K+ views not ONE donation. Greedy people. /me will start to release to market for now on.
    You're welcome #1

And, You need to install recovery. I am only putting up the new root method. I planned to make a auto-recovery installer. but, no one has donated a cent. So, this is how it will stay.

8. Donations.

We appreciate all donations to xda-developers.com, it keeps our forum online and well maintained. As a user you're allowed to ask for donations in your signature as a thank you for your hard work. However donations up front are not allowed, this forum is about sharing, not about getting paid to do something, that's what your job is for.

You know when you beg for donations, people are less inclined to donate. This seems to be a common theme and it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

Windows 7 x64 machine
    B50

Dont know much about windows sorry. I used my method here to root on ICS. Started from stock -> Ota X 3 or 4 then root.