DEFINITE solution for battery on the arc (or any android actually) yes its that easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mety333

Feb 11, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
OK after i got my Arc S i already saw better battery than my old X10.

but after a while it started to get all "android" on me again in terms of ****ty battery.

after using better battery stats and digging all the web for solutions on the subject (yes i got pretty obsessed about battery ever since i had android), i've pretty much found out 3 simple stuff that pretty much takes up most of your battery on standby and even actual use of an android phone.

before i did that i woke up 8 hours later just to find out that at night on standby my battery ran from 100% to 86-90% when i woke up. (on my x10 i woke up with 76-80% lol)

keep in mind im a very heavy usage user on my android and i do literally EVERYTHING ON IT.

anyway 3 simple stuff to do:

1. log out of latitude, drains the battery like crazy.
2. disable auto sync for gmail, contacts and regular email (i use hotmail so i use the email app, dont have gmail)
3. be connected to your home or office wi-fi as much as possible.

keep in mind i do have whatsapp in the background and other regular apps that still ran as a service but they dont drain battery much apparently (i thought they were always the problem btw)

i unplugged my arc s from the charger with 100% fully charged battery at 4am and went to sleep..
..woke up 11 hours later at 3pm (yes weird day lol), had 18 missed calls, 6 sms messages and 5 voicemails which means the phone had the screen on for each call and the speaker played my ringtone every call and sms and even voicemail notification plus i had my alarm clock which i kept pressing the snooze on..

i was amazed to be with 96% after 11 hours!!!!! OMG

at the same day at 11pm i was left with 27% battery after all day had 1:20 hours voice calls, 2:50 hours screen display on.
i was also outside and im always on 3g and also used my gps on google maps for about 20 min.

finally happy about my frikin battery on my android device !!

edit:
my setup:
custom gingerbread rom with ice cream theme,
locked bootloader,
rooted,
supercharged V6
At&t usa

Sent from my amazingly gorgeous and sexy Pure White Xperia Arc S [=

Last edited:

AndyHibberd

Oct 12, 2010
"If you want to save battery on your smart phone, don't use it as a smart phone."

Of course background services will use energy, but I have them on for a reason.

The best battery saving tips (for those who use their phones)are brightness and keep an eye out of resource hogs and unwanted background services (Facebook app).

I found that rooting and removing all the bloat-ware vastly improved my battery life as it gave more RAM which meant my phone had to do less memory management.

Andy

But that would mean that Google can't track my location anymore :eek:
Knipsel.PNG

On topic:
This app is a very convenient and simple way to view your battery usage.

Badass Battery Monitor
GSam Labs

Last edited:

TheHaso

Feb 18, 2012
2. disable auto sync for gmail, contacts and regular email (i use hotmail so i use the email app, dont have gmail)
[=

If you have a android and have done the registration on the first time, you have a GMAIL acc. :D :D

Btw, add this solution. Works for every phone.

- Go to WiFi & network settings > Mobile Network > Networkmode > Set it to "ONLY GSM"

this will make the mobile-antenna to find one connection and stand there (Mostly this gives the best signal strenght), but the WCDMA and WCDMA/GSM will search for other connections all the time and consume more battery :mad:
the only negative side with GSM is that your calls will connect 1~2 sec. slower compared to WCDMA and if you fall out of the signal range, youre out untill the antenna finds new one (but the strenght is good so dont worry)

Last edited:

zangetsu2188

Nov 28, 2010
Quezon City
If you have a android and have done the registration on the first time, you have a GMAIL acc. :D :D

Btw, add this solution. Works for every phone.

- Go to WiFi & network settings > Mobile Network > Networkmode > Set it to "ONLY GSM"

this will make the mobile-antenna to find one connection and stand there (Mostly this gives the best signal strenght), but the WCDMA and WCDMA/GSM will search for other connections all the time and consume more battery :mad:
the only negative side with GSM is that your calls will connect 1~2 sec. slower compared to WCDMA and if you fall out of the signal range, youre out untill the antenna finds new one (but the strenght is good so dont worry)

Or you can set it to WCDMA only. :) Setting it to GSM only would be disadvantageous as most smartphone users need a data plan and 3G has far better internet speed. :D

Turning off the auto sync helped me a lot. I just manually check my email at regular intervals. :D

Sent from my LT15i using XDA

ArmorD

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
Seiously, these are all the most obvious "battery tweaks". Tose are the first things that would come up in my mind...

fluxgfx

Jun 1, 2011
Ottawa
www.cryovex.com
I can safely say it's not a definite solution.

Most if not have already turned the Auto sync off.

Latitude for most users doesn't run to start with and even in some cases not even
installed.

Wifi and HSPA is a given this is pretty much ON all the time for most since were power users. (6gb data plan) can't complain for 20$.

Bluetooth in some cases but rare.

Full charge your phone and if your a power user within 14 to 16hours your usually left with about 10% battery usage.

Take into consideration that this is a rooted Xperia Arc S with bootloader locked.

If I leave it alone fully charge when I go to bed and wake up in the morning I usually have about 7% gone in roughly 8hours of standby that is taking into account your have the standard 1500mah battery.

I would highly suggest getting the 1700mah MUGEN battery it's worth the extra 50$. May not make much difference for some but it does for other.

TheHaso

Feb 18, 2012
Or you can set it to WCDMA only. :) Setting it to GSM only would be disadvantageous as most smartphone users need a data plan and 3G has far better internet speed. :D

Turning off the auto sync helped me a lot. I just manually check my email at regular intervals. :D

Sent from my LT15i using XDA

Thats right, but if you dont use the mobilenetwork, the GSM is best

auni

Nov 26, 2011
Dhaka
OK after i got my Arc S i already saw better battery than my old X10.

but after a while it started to get all "android" on me again in terms of ****ty battery.

after using better battery stats and digging all the web for solutions on the subject (yes i got pretty obsessed about battery ever since i had android), i've pretty much found out 3 simple stuff that pretty much takes up most of your battery on standby and even actual use of an android phone.

before i did that i woke up 8 hours later just to find out that at night on standby my battery ran from 100% to 86-90% when i woke up. (on my x10 i woke up with 76-80% lol)

keep in mind im a very heavy usage user on my android and i do literally EVERYTHING ON IT.

anyway 3 simple stuff to do:

keep in mind i do have whatsapp in the background and other regular apps that still ran as a service but they dont drain battery much apparently (i thought they were always the problem btw)

i unplugged my arc s from the charger with 100% fully charged battery at 4am and went to sleep..
..woke up 11 hours later at 3pm (yes weird day lol), had 18 missed calls, 6 sms messages and 5 voicemails which means the phone had the screen on for each call and the speaker played my ringtone every call and sms and even voicemail notification plus i had my alarm clock which i kept pressing the snooze on..

at the same day at 11pm i was left with 27% battery after all day had 1:20 hours voice calls, 2:50 hours screen display on.
i was also outside and im always on 3g and also used my gps on google maps for about 20 min.

finally happy about my frikin battery on my android device !!

edit:
my setup:
custom gingerbread rom with ice cream theme,
locked bootloader,
rooted,
supercharged V6
At&t usa

Sent from my amazingly gorgeous and sexy Pure White Xperia Arc S [=

Nothing new actually. In standby/idle mode I loose hardly 4-5% in 7 hours during night.

These are the most common battery tweaks.

In fact if the phone is alive (with 10% left) after 20 hours of heavy use, then i am happy.

With my Rooted device with 0.58 firmware, i get a 18-20 hours [brightness set to 40% always] of heavy using that includes, 2hrs of browsing on WiFi, 2 hrs of music, 40 mins HDGame, 2-3 hours voice call, 30-40 mins of video (occasional) and i check email in every hour and and reply, so that's good for me.

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
I appreciate you sharing your advice, but there are some points that are not so convenient and here is why:

Why not leave the phone plugged in while you're sleeping?
Stock Arc battery has overcharging protection, which means that there is no risk harming it if you leave it on charger for 8-10 hours.
It will charge to 100%, then decrease to 95% and start charging again.
As a matter of fact, those small charge cycles can turn out to be beneficial for the new technology Li-Pol batteries.

Agreed.
But there are cases when people use Latitude to their convenience.
For example, I tend to leave it on while travelling and I've taught my father how to use it on his (my old) X10 so that he won't have to call me all the time to see where I am. :D

Now that just doesn't make any sense.
One of the major Android features is that you can get your Gmail messages instantly and, in some cases, even substitute text messaging altogether.
I have 3 Gmail accounts on my phone and they are in autosync 24/7, because otherwise my phone is pretty much as useful as a Nokia S40 phone. :p
Not to mention that polling (refresh at a specified rate) drains way more battery than push notifications which Gmail utilises.

Agreed.
Especially in low signal areas, WiFi can save battery because the phone doesn't constantly trying to establish data connection. However, forgetting to turn WiFi off when leaving your home or office hotspot range can result in even bigger drain, as the phone will intermittently look for available WiFi hotspots.

Personally, I feel you are sacrificing vital features just to stall your battery meter.
This is not as wise as you make it appear to be, because if each one of us carefully considers it, we will realise that there are very few hours within the day that a plug is not accessible. We have cars -there are car chargers, we are at home -obviously there are sockets, we are at the office -there are PCs thus USB ports. Heck, I've even charged my phone on a DVD player with a USB port in a presentation room once! In my opinion, it's about time we stop whining about how "our old phones lasted a week even if we were playing Snake all day" and adopt new charging habits.
Then again, how one uses their phone, it's their business.
However, the thread title can be considered misleading, as I reckon your advice is respectable, but in no way a widely applicable solution.

Last edited:

Rashkae

Nov 10, 2008
Singapore
If I'm staying over at a bud's place/gf's place and have no charger/microusb handy, or I'm out and battery is running low, I do one thing:

1. Turn off data (I use a nice on-screen toggle for this).

This alone lets my battery last faaaaar longer.

Reactions: pvyParts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I appreciate you sharing your advice, but there are some points that are not so convenient and here is why:

Why not leave the phone plugged in while you're sleeping?
    Stock Arc battery has overcharging protection, which means that there is no risk harming it if you leave it on charger for 8-10 hours.
    It will charge to 100%, then decrease to 95% and start charging again.
    As a matter of fact, those small charge cycles can turn out to be beneficial for the new technology Li-Pol batteries.

Agreed.
    But there are cases when people use Latitude to their convenience.
    For example, I tend to leave it on while travelling and I've taught my father how to use it on his (my old) X10 so that he won't have to call me all the time to see where I am. :D

Now that just doesn't make any sense.
    One of the major Android features is that you can get your Gmail messages instantly and, in some cases, even substitute text messaging altogether.
    I have 3 Gmail accounts on my phone and they are in autosync 24/7, because otherwise my phone is pretty much as useful as a Nokia S40 phone. :p
    Not to mention that polling (refresh at a specified rate) drains way more battery than push notifications which Gmail utilises.

Agreed.
    Especially in low signal areas, WiFi can save battery because the phone doesn't constantly trying to establish data connection. However, forgetting to turn WiFi off when leaving your home or office hotspot range can result in even bigger drain, as the phone will intermittently look for available WiFi hotspots.

Personally, I feel you are sacrificing vital features just to stall your battery meter.
    This is not as wise as you make it appear to be, because if each one of us carefully considers it, we will realise that there are very few hours within the day that a plug is not accessible. We have cars -there are car chargers, we are at home -obviously there are sockets, we are at the office -there are PCs thus USB ports. Heck, I've even charged my phone on a DVD player with a USB port in a presentation room once! In my opinion, it's about time we stop whining about how "our old phones lasted a week even if we were playing Snake all day" and adopt new charging habits.
    Then again, how one uses their phone, it's their business.
    However, the thread title can be considered misleading, as I reckon your advice is respectable, but in no way a widely applicable solution.
    Why dont you but a nokia 3310 and stop whining?

the reason we buy these phones is cause of the amount of things we do on them. disabling these features is just pointless and turns the phone back intoa dumb phone

LRN 2 SMRTFONE SIR
    If I'm staying over at a bud's place/gf's place and have no charger/microusb handy, or I'm out and battery is running low, I do one thing:

1. Turn off data (I use a nice on-screen toggle for this).

This alone lets my battery last faaaaar longer.