Came across something strange today.....

Search This thread

blackwrx02

May 3, 2006
Definitely no offence intended. I just wish AT&T, Bestbuys, etc... would do a better job of training the people that they expect to sell these devices. Most people don't know the everyday quirks of most devices unless they are given an oppertunity to learn about them.

You said it in your own post. Most people (customers) don't know a damn thing about their device, and honestly don't want to. I used to be an AT&T COR rep. There is no need for this depth of training to sell a phone to a middle-aged mom who wants to take pictures of her son at soccer practice. Its not practical for AT&T to spend the time and money to develop and implement training for something that 95% of the customer base doesn't care about. I had maybe...maybe 2 or 3 customers who knew anything about their phones. I tried to educate but most of the time just got the deer in the headlights look from the customer.

Reactions: ahenderson223

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
On my S4, any change to a file or an addition/deletion of a file in any system directory would trip this screen. I did a massively complicated removal procedure for Syscope then flashed AOSP and never had to deal with it again....ever. The hate I have for that screen.......

rachelm920

Apr 12, 2011
Hartford, CT
You said it in your own post. Most people (customers) don't know a damn thing about their device, and honestly don't want to. I used to be an AT&T COR rep. There is no need for this depth of training to sell a phone to a middle-aged mom who wants to take pictures of her son at soccer practice. Its not practical for AT&T to spend the time and money to develop and implement training for something that 95% of the customer base doesn't care about. I had maybe...maybe 2 or 3 customers who knew anything about their phones. I tried to educate but most of the time just got the deer in the headlights look from the customer.

LOL this reminds me of when I went into the AT&T store with my S3 with a CM variant on it... and the rep I got was all excited and happy that I modded my phone

Br4nd3n

Sep 20, 2013
The phone boots as custom when art runtime is selected in developer settings instead of dalvik.

Still don't know why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

I'm not 100% sure but I think the reason that's happening is because TouchWiz is built to run on Dalvik, ART is experimental on the OS which trips the phone to thinking it's been modified (hence showing custom).

LOL this reminds me of when I went into the AT&T store with my S3 with a CM variant on it... and the rep I got was all excited and happy that I modded my phone

This happened to me on my S4, I had Task650 AOKP on it (AMDL Firmwire). The rep told me "It's not possible to get any sort of AOSP variants on this device, how did you do it!", I believe he thought all the firmwire's were the same and possibly just knew of SafeStrap. So I replied "Magic.". He didn't ask any questions about it after that, he just applied my screen protector.

Made me laugh.. :laugh:

Reactions: compuguy1088

Christopher3712

Oct 2, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm not 100% sure but I think the reason that's happening is because TouchWiz is built to run on Dalvik, ART is experimental on the OS which trips the phone to thinking it's been modified (hence showing custom).

This happened to me on my S4, I had Task650 AOKP on it (AMDL Firmwire). The rep told me "It's not possible to get any sort of AOSP variants on this device, how did you do it!", I believe he thought all the firmwire's were the same and possibly just knew of SafeStrap. So I replied "Magic.". He didn't ask any questions about it after that, he just applied my screen protector.

Made me laugh.. :laugh:

Side note, other than just custom firmware, it's always fun when you get a rep that never understands the phone's full capabilities... dsploit in an AT&T store is always good for a laugh.

I miss root. :(

Reactions: compuguy1088

ArgareVarg

Apr 18, 2014
Definitely no offence intended. I just wish AT&T, Bestbuys, etc... would do a better job of training the people that they expect to sell these devices. Most people don't know the everyday quirks of most devices unless they are given an oppertunity to learn about them.

Don't even get me started about bestbuy. Most of the employees don't know where anything is. Let alone what it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
As AT&T employees you better get ahold of some higher ups, and let them know they are going to lose lots of customers due to the lock down on their bootloaders of their devices. Many people are ready to switch.

Hahaha, thats funny. You made me chuckle with that.

I dont work for AT&T, or any wireless provider... But I do know math...

AT&T 4th Quarter 2013 revenue was up nearly 2%. Keep in mind this was after they started locking down phones like the Note 3 and the S4. Citation 1: HERE.

AT&T has 110+ MILLION subscribes... Thats just under 1/3 of the entire US Population. Citation 2: HERE. Citation 3: HERE.

To think in Q42013 they added 1.2 Million new wireless customers (See Citation 1)...

I dont think they are worried about the very few that can root. If we go else where it will still be less than a small drop in the bucket. As a matter of fact, I would say it would be less than .01% of all the new contracts they added in Q4-2013 (alone). That would be a total .0001% subscribers from the entire base. I calculated these numbers at a total of 12,000 people that would leave because they cant root and I think that is very generous. You would be lucky to have 1,200 people leave because of that.

I just wanted to intermix facts with this conversation... Didint mean to dilute it :p

Anyways, just stopping through to see if the S5 was unlocked and reading this thread tells me no. How sad... :(

Last edited:

GoombaVinnie

Feb 19, 2011
Visalia, Ca
I don't think you understand how expensive it would be to train all at&t retail employees on all the functions on every new mobile device released each year. I am a construction splicing tech and I don't receive specific training on things. It would be nice but most retail employees don't care to learn that aspect of the job. It does nothing to enhance their career.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

TheSheibs

Apr 12, 2014
I would think that they want to be good at their job and therefore do the research on their own to know about th r things they sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
I don't think you understand how expensive it would be to train all at&t retail employees on all the functions on every new mobile device released each year. I am a construction splicing tech and I don't receive specific training on things. It would be nice but most retail employees don't care to learn that aspect of the job. It does nothing to enhance their career.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

What career ?

BTW is always good if you go to At&t store and you have to inform At&t representative that if you phone is stolen IMEI can be block so phone is useless. I was trying to sell my S4 and we (guy who want to buy and I) went to store to confirm that IMEI is not black listed and transfer phone to buyer account. Rep did not know this...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: GoombaVinnie

Xandlinger

Feb 10, 2010
What career ?

BTW is always good if you go to At&t store and you have to inform At&t representative that if you phone is stolen IMEI can be block so phone is useless. I was trying to sell my S4 and we (guy who want to buy and I) went to store to confirm that IMEI is not black listed and transfer phone to buyer account. Rep did not know this...lol

Did you have an actual sales rep or the greeter? Wouldn't be surprised if the greeter didn't know, but an actual sales rep would know.

And careers can start from the bottom, you know. A sales rep can become a store manager and a store manager can become a retail leader and so on. Sure it doesn't happen often, but it has happened. A sales rep with AT&T who has AR modicum of selling skills can easily make 60k+. The good ones can easily make 75-85k depending on market. Absolutely nothing to scoff at.

Reactions: composi

twiggums

Oct 6, 2007
What career ?

How often do you think that happens? It would be cost prohibitive to train all employees on that, and then on top of it expect them to remember it for the ~%1 of the time it happens. Perhaps the person you talked to did get trained on it, but forgot. I hear what you're saying, and empathize, but truth is it just doesn't happen enough, and is so far and few in between that it'd be wasted time and money most likely. Most of those who are wanting to commit fraud dont want' to step foot into a store with a person face to face to activate a stolen device, they're gonna do it online or over the phone, so then when they're caught they can just disconnect. Who's to say a career can't happen at AT&T?

composi

Jul 14, 2012
(((EDITED))) Apparently people think I was angry when I wrote this. Not the case. I chose to eliminate this post in order to avoid any more drifting from the subject of the OP's post.

Last edited:

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
First of all, every store I've ever been in has "that guy" in it. In other words, there's always a go-to person for everything. I'm the go-to guy for Android troubleshooting in my store, we have someone who is a go-to person for iPhone troubleshooting, someone who is go-to for store policies and procedures, etc...One person can't know everything, and trust me, there are a million different things one as a rep has to remember and focus on, everything from "my spouse died and I need to cancel his account" procedure to "my flip phone won't pair with my BMW"...its hilarious that you guys expect reps to do literally everything or know everything...you know how to root a device...wonderful....do you know what the procedure is for a grieving wife who has no power of attorney for her dead husband, no death certificate, decided not to take his last name, AND on top of that isn't an authorized user on the account?

An extreme circumstance, I know, but one that I've had to deal with in my store. You guys want answers to absolutely ridiculous questions...you go to the store and demand to know from the rep that had no input in the process why the download booster was disabled or why Kit Kat hasn't been released yet for the Note 2 while it's available to another carrier or even why we don't have a gold or blue version of the S5 available...then you want to upgrade your phone, you get angry about the upgrade fee, we suggest the Next option but you get angry because in order to upgrade in a year or 18 months you have to turn in your phone so you call it "renting", then you get angry about your bill because a different rep 6 states over screwed up your account but of course you take it out on us, you don't get any accessories because we all know how cheap Amazon or the mall kiosk can be compared to our "marked up" prices, and want us to transfer all of your content yet you don't have an SD card and when you get told you need to use your computer you get angry...so the rep got an upgrade with no accessories, got your attitude for circumstances beyond their control, and of course you're going to take your time and answer negatively to the survey which makes the rep look like they gave you bad customer service....but you guys wanna laugh at a rep because they didn't know about the bootloader...*Kanye shrug*....

I see your point about the extreme stuff, but if the people that sell the phones don't know about them then who is supposed to? All of the stuff you mentioned is the employees responsibility to know. It's supposed to be what they do. Why shouldn't an employee doing that job not know how to handle the situations that involve the item that the company they work for sells? Are they just supposed to walk around shrugging their shoulders saying, "I don't know...why are you asking me about this?" If I have a question about a car I expect the dealership (and more precisely the sales person) to be able to answer it.

And let's not forget, we're not talking about super-secret, high-level, developer stuff here. We are talking about the everyday behaviors of these devices. The "custom" and unlock icon has been common place since at least the S4...and root has nothing to do with it. If someone working in an AT&T store feels like they shouldn't have to deal with customers and devices maybe they should rethink their employment situation.

composi

Jul 14, 2012
I see your point about the extreme stuff, but if the people that sell the phones don't know about them then who is supposed to? All of the stuff you mentioned is the employees responsibility to know. It's supposed to be what they do. Why shouldn't an employee doing that job not know how to handle the situations that involve the item that the company they work for sells? Are they just supposed to walk around shrugging their shoulders saying, "I don't know...why are you asking me about this?" If I have a question about a car I expect the dealership (and more precisely the sales person) to be able to answer it.

And let's not forget, we're not talking about super-secret, high-level, developer stuff here. We are talking about the everyday behaviors of these devices. The "custom" and unlock icon has been common place since at least the S4...and root has nothing to do with it. If someone working in an AT&T store feels like they shouldn't have to deal with customers and devices maybe they should rethink their employment situation.

I get what you're saying, however your analogy, in my opinion, is wrong. It is NOT the same as going to a dealership and asking about a car. We sell a service, and the phone is a way to access that service. A dealership sells a car. You don't call Sirius Satellite Radio's customer service asking why your "check engine" light is on, because Sirius is a service, not the device being used to access said service. You have a warranty for a reason.

Trust me, I wish I had more co-workers who took an interest in what they do, because it would erase some of that negative perception customers such as yourselves have of us. I won't lie, the average rep uses the information given by the company, which is the information used in the selling of the devices. For simple troubleshooting, there are steps, and then we have a dedicated tech support division for the more "advanced' issues. Now if the unlock icon was a product of faulty 4G LTE signal, for example, then yes, without a doubt that is our responsibility because we offer that service.

By the way, I edited the previous post...more misunderstandings than benefits.

Last edited:

PS4AndroidHacker

Jul 11, 2009
Dalton,Ohio
www.facebook.com
I work for hhgregg here in Ohio and know much more about Android than some of the guys at Best Buy and AT&T. Best Buy is literally right next door to us and we have customers coming over telling us they hate Best Buy and will never go in that store again. I am a customer service rep and also help sell computers, and tablets as well as close deals for the salesman that don't know jack lol. The AT&T reps didn't know much but I'm not knocking them, they're just doing their jobs. Just saying that this thread has been hilarious to read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Careful what you wish for!! Last thing I need is someone checking whether my Knox has been tripped or my bootloader unlocked when I do a return :laugh:
    As AT&T employees you better get ahold of some higher ups, and let them know they are going to lose lots of customers due to the lock down on their bootloaders of their devices. Many people are ready to switch.

Hahaha, thats funny. You made me chuckle with that.

I dont work for AT&T, or any wireless provider... But I do know math...

AT&T 4th Quarter 2013 revenue was up nearly 2%. Keep in mind this was after they started locking down phones like the Note 3 and the S4. Citation 1: HERE.

AT&T has 110+ MILLION subscribes... Thats just under 1/3 of the entire US Population. Citation 2: HERE. Citation 3: HERE.

To think in Q42013 they added 1.2 Million new wireless customers (See Citation 1)...

I dont think they are worried about the very few that can root. If we go else where it will still be less than a small drop in the bucket. As a matter of fact, I would say it would be less than .01% of all the new contracts they added in Q4-2013 (alone). That would be a total .0001% subscribers from the entire base. I calculated these numbers at a total of 12,000 people that would leave because they cant root and I think that is very generous. You would be lucky to have 1,200 people leave because of that.

I just wanted to intermix facts with this conversation... Didint mean to dilute it :p

Anyways, just stopping through to see if the S5 was unlocked and reading this thread tells me no. How sad... :(
    Me too. Still not exactly sure what it means unless it's the developer options being enabled.

Edit: Just checked and it's not the developer options...and mine doesn't have the unlock icon anymore actually. I think scott14719 is probably right.

I'm right. If you want more information about it you can search the AT&T S4 forum for relevant threads. There really is a lot of information about it that might answer a lot of potential questions.
    Your right partially but grand scheme of things = all of their devices that are locked not just s5's. I am just saying that, they are always seeming to pull more customers in with new deals so gaining customers is important to them. So not losing customers should also be important in the same aspect no matter what the percentage is. If they don't care then shame on them.

They would love to get everyone 100% satisfied but realistically its impossible so they shoot for the highest number of satisfied people
    What career ?

Did you have an actual sales rep or the greeter? Wouldn't be surprised if the greeter didn't know, but an actual sales rep would know.

And careers can start from the bottom, you know. A sales rep can become a store manager and a store manager can become a retail leader and so on. Sure it doesn't happen often, but it has happened. A sales rep with AT&T who has AR modicum of selling skills can easily make 60k+. The good ones can easily make 75-85k depending on market. Absolutely nothing to scoff at.