2 USB into 1 mini USB charger cable?

Search This thread

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
Anybody tried charging their phone with one of these dual USB-A to one mini USB-B Y cables? They typically come with external 2.5" drive enclosures to provide enough power for the drive. It could be cool for a fast full 1 amp charge via USB when no better charging option is handy, and certainly better than the majority of crapola mis-labled under-powered chargers out there. I just can't afford to be the guinea pig if such a cable uses proprietary pinouts and will fry the phone. ;)

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
amps are pulled not pushed

Ohm's law == (Amp == Volt / resistence (Ohm) )

so your charger could be 1MegaAmps and your device would only draw as much as
volt being 5volts and the resistence would be what the charging system inside
the phone is which is also a constant

all the wallchargers we use for these devices with usb connectors got plenty more juice then .5amps usb provide

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
Thanks for the detail. I've never been good at sorting out volts, watts, amps, etc. Regardless, I'm not concerned about it providing too much juice, mainly that it's a proprietary non-spec cable that may use a proprietary pinout. There's a guy on PPCGeeks who successfully & briefly tried a similar cable without ill effects. Waiting on a promised in-depth test to see if it actually charges faster, etc. I'm still a bit chicken to try it as I can't afford to be phoneless right now. ;)

Last edited:

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
Well, I went ahead & tried it. I loaded nuePowerCPL which showed just under 500 mA, same as a good quality USB cable. Interestingly, a wimpy skinny USB cable delivered only 160 mA. Maybe other PCs will yield better results, but the 2 into 1 cable offers no improvement for me.

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant

Bob1213

Jan 21, 2010
www.uxsight.com
Have you used 5 in 1 USB cable? The USB cable can transfer data and recharge at same time. I have never used so I am looking for the highest quality possible. Also, I would like to thank you all suggestions.

godefroi

Mar 25, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
the resistence would be what the charging system inside the phone is which is also a constant

That's not strictly true; at least some phones have two charging modes; slow (run from a USB port) and normal (when running from the wall). My Rhodium, for example, draws something like 2A when run from the wall charger. I understand that the wall charger has a slightly higher voltage than the 5v usually seen from a USB cable, and it is through this that the phone knows it can charge in "normal" mode.