[Q] Galaxy S2 - Gyro & Compass not working

Search This thread

Evo911

Dec 15, 2010
Hi
I have a Korean Galaxy S2 SHW-250K, and I flashed a XXKH3 firmware on it. Used it for a couple of days, then went ahead and installed MoDaCo GR5 firmware on it. Now while exploring the options, I tried to test out that tilt-to-zoom feature in Gallery, but it didn't work so well. In fact, it more or less didn't work at all despite me checking out all the settings. So I went into Gyro and Horizontal calibration, and noticed something strange. The horizontal calibration dot was moving in jitters despite I had a pretty steady hand holding it. So I went into gyro calibration and noticed that this dot was not moving at all.

I then remembered that when I first got the phone, with Korean firmware and all, I calibrated the sensors and I don't remember seeing the dot ever moving as I calibrated it while placing it on a flat surface.

Now I went into the *#0*# menu and ran the tests. The results are like this:

Gyro sensor Display reading while sitting on a flat surface:

SC20110915-071937.png

The self test apparently cleared:

SC20110915-072752.png

The compass also doesn't respond to magnetic fields at all, and more or less rotates with the phone. Tested in a couple other Compass apps, and calibrated it by moving in 8 shape and all, but no avail:

SC20110915-072816.png

Any idea what's wrong with it? Can it be fixed via software, or is it a hardware issue?

fmohiy

Aug 24, 2007
I have the same issue with my s2
the compass is much more jumpy and less accurate than my old HTC hd2
i hope its not a hardware issue.

bart3385

Jul 6, 2010
I have the same problem too. The compass is not working properly. It's turning in the reverse direction. And pointing to incorrect directions.

Is there any config or app to correct this problem?

BatfinkUK1

Mar 9, 2011
I just solved a very similar problem on my colleges SGS2 buy removing it from its case with MAGNETIC:eek: catches.:)

dzid_

Jan 29, 2011
Nobody came up with idea it's nothing wrong with it? It is gyroscope, just put phone on something stable and calibrate to get rid of offset in gyro readings. In other word to make phone know to show zero readings when it has no angular velocity (not rotating).

johnzelix

Dec 2, 2011
Baguio
I'm also having a problem with my shw-m250s. I hope someone can find a solution to this problem. It would be nice if someone made a custom rom based on the official m250s rom.

Ecaflipe

Apr 6, 2012
Tiznit
I have also this problem on my GT-I9100G --' the compass is not accurate as well as when I have bought it 2 mouths ago. Maybe it's a hardware issue caused by magnetic fields caused by charging the battery, I'm not sure of that.

music0

Apr 15, 2012
My compass problem

Hi.
If your compass doesn't work, check yours cases. I have magnet within my phone case , and matal parts in my phone was magnet too. It's disturb magnetic field and compass was useless.

hellco

Oct 11, 2013
I have solvet the problem ( for me )

Nobody came up with idea it's nothing wrong with it? It is gyroscope, just put phone on something stable and calibrate to get rid of offset in gyro readings. In other word to make phone know to show zero readings when it has no angular velocity (not rotating).

So i heaved the same problem ( when playing a racing game the car goes left even if you have tilt the phone to right ) i was using the phone whit Snapdragon v2 when this problem occurred ( i don't know why but in 4.1.2 there is no proper calibration ) and after long research on that stuff i flashed some random 4.0.4 costume ROM (because i can't find stock ICS ) i calibrate it and everything worked like a charm / Then i installed again Snapdragon and everything still works perfect. :D So try some old ICS or Gingerbread ROM's

tcindia

Jan 26, 2013
roaming
checked with sensor kinectis app ..sensor is working ..but the direction it suggests in any app is like captains jack sparrow's compass :mad::confused:

Never worked for me

I also have a S2 and the compass never worked.
I downloaded several apks and none worked.
I flashed some roms (latest is cyanogen), and this doesn't help - the compass still doesn't work.
The compass is base in a magnetic sensor, inside the phone, and it doesn't work.
The gps-based compass is, in reality, a compass based in calculations made when you are moving with gps enabled, and it doesn't use the internal magnetic sensor.

That's more than one year i have this s2.

Today, I have found something that can help, bus, as I can't post external links in the forum, do this:
Open youtube.
Add, to the address ( after the .com): /watch?v=Rak2xhnk0qE

Hope this help

Last edited: