[Q] Need to get an .APK

Search This thread

citapinc

Aug 11, 2011
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 SGH-I535 with the latest 4.3 installed. However the wireless and bluetooth stopped working so I have a new phone that I'm trying to move my apps over to. Problem is, one app that I LOVE no longer exists and is no longer in the Play store, so I can't reinstall it on my new phone.

Therefore is there a way to root my current SGH-I535, grab the .APK file, then unroot the phone back so I can send it to Samsung for a warranty repair?

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 SGH-I535 with the latest 4.3 installed. However the wireless and bluetooth stopped working so I have a new phone that I'm trying to move my apps over to. Problem is, one app that I LOVE no longer exists and is no longer in the Play store, so I can't reinstall it on my new phone.

Therefore is there a way to root my current SGH-I535, grab the .APK file, then unroot the phone back so I can send it to Samsung for a warranty repair?

Its not on the amazon store or aptoide? That's a lot of work for just one apk. Heck even a google search might find a download for you.

jeremy702

Jun 17, 2010
Duke City

Try rooting with the safe-root tool - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758&highlight=s3

Then install Titanium Backup, backup the apps and data to SD card, then restore to stock, then you have the APK on the SD card.

citapinc

Aug 11, 2011
Root then Unroot

It would help if you told us what the app is

Good point. The App is called Unread Gmail Widget by a company called Waxsoft, Inc. This was a paid app but it's no longer showing on the Google Play Store so I can't reinstall it. I've made MANY attempts to contact the developer of the app but all my emails go unanswered.

I've done more research and found that there is no way to extract a paid app's APK off the phone.

After I rooted the phone I went to the \data folder but I didn't see any APPS folder listed there. Is there another location where paid apps store their APK?

jeremy702

Jun 17, 2010
Duke City
Good point. The App is called Unread Gmail Widget by a company called Waxsoft, Inc. This was a paid app but it's no longer showing on the Google Play Store so I can't reinstall it. I've made MANY attempts to contact the developer of the app but all my emails go unanswered.

I've done more research and found that there is no way to extract a paid app's APK off the phone.

After I rooted the phone I went to the \data folder but I didn't see any APPS folder listed there. Is there another location where paid apps store their APK?

If you got the app from the store, and it's running Titanium Backup should be able to back it up for you, no problem. Where you able to get root on your phone yet?