[APP] Half-Life running under Quake Engine

Search This thread

S1yRuleZ

May 26, 2010
Hello everybody,

I just bought a Surface RT and seeing all these apps under development after successful jailbreak I missed the good old Gordon Freeman,
and here we go...

Screenshot:
v7xj5v.jpg

NOTE: You MUST have the full game paks files to run HalfLife, the demo will NOT work.
Download at the end of this post.

1. Put Pak0, Pak1, Pak2 .PAK files in ID1 folder
2. Start the game from "Run Half-Life.bat"

The game is glitchy and sometimes you will be stuck or some
bad scripts will not open the doors so you must use noclip.
Any help or suggestion about how to improve this release will be well accepted.

Commands:

W,A,S,D walk
F use
LMOUSE fire
SPACE jump
N noclip
P console
0 change weapon

Half-Life for ARM WindowsRT is based on WinQuake ARM version coded by bfosterjr and I also want to thank Sisah for the converted maps and models.

I hope this makes someone happy ;)

DOWNLOAD​

Last edited:

MemoryController

Dec 21, 2011
Thessaloniki
Hello everybody,

I just bought a Surface RT and seeing all these apps under development after successful jailbreak I missed the good old Gordon Freeman,
and here we go...

Screenshot:
v7xj5v.jpg

Commands:

W,A,S,D walk
F use
LMOUSE fire
SPACE jump
N noclip
P console
0 change weapon

Half-Life for ARM WindowsRT is based on WinQuake ARM version coded by bfosterjr and I also want to thank Sisah for the converted maps and models.

DOWNLOAD​

sit and wait until the upload finishes​

*ahem*piracy*ahem*

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

MemoryController

Dec 21, 2011
Thessaloniki
*ahem*Linking to an open source binary with credit given and licenses included.

He didn't include the original Half Life 1 data files. Only a .bat script capable of launching them. You provide the supposedly pirated content yourself....

Oh well I assumed he did include it based on the OP. Sorry OP, will enjoy it thanks!!

BZyno

Sep 2, 2013
Cant seem to get this running, I bought HL through steam and theres no pak files in the game folder.
Luckily I could get a hold of the Pak file in the original version. Ive put it in the ID1 folder but when I run the bat I get this error:

Q37MGjU.png

Does anybody have a clue on how to fix this?

Note: Many thanks for porting this to WinRT:good:!

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Cant seem to get this running, I bought HL through steam and theres no pak files in the game folder.
Luckily I could get a hold of the Pak file in the original version. Ive put it in the ID1 folder but when I run the bat I get this error:

Q37MGjU.png

What do you mean by the pack file, there should be 3 or 4. Also, no discredit against the OP but he didn't port it, the Quake engine was ported by someone else, he did however give you a nice set of instructions and a batch file in order for you to play the Half life content in it (half life originally used a modded quake 1 engine)

Reactions: MemoryController

rydroid

Jun 18, 2010
Hello everybody,

and here we go...

Screenshot:
v7xj5v.jpg

NOTE: You MUST have the full game paks files to run HalfLife, the demo will NOT work.

Commands:

W,A,S,D walk
F use
LMOUSE fire
SPACE jump
N noclip
P console
0 change weapon

DOWNLOAD​

The link doesn't seem to work anymore.. anyone post the zap?

BZyno

Sep 2, 2013
What do you mean by the pack file, there should be 3 or 4. Also, no discredit against the OP but he didn't port it, the Quake engine was ported by someone else, he did however give you a nice set of instructions and a batch file in order for you to play the Half life content in it (half life originally used a modded quake 1 engine)

Yeah, there probably should be 3 or 4 pak files in the directory. Fact is I couldnt find any .pak files in the steam version so maybe valve re-made HL for steam and removed the pak file for something else.

Anyways I could find 2 pak0.pak file in the hard copy version of HL. One in the valve directory and 1 in the tfc folder. Ive put the pak0.pak file from the valve folder in the ID1 folder as explained by the OP and get the Quake error that I posted.

I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. So if anyone has a clue, please post :).

Samuelgames

Aug 21, 2008
Why don't you attempt to port the real thing instead of a poorly-made 'port' for the PSP? There's an engine called Xash3D that brings 100% compatibility over the GoldSrc engine, porting it to Windows RT should be mostly straightforward with a GL to DX wrapper, give it a try

http://www.moddb.com/engines/xash3d-engine

Project files from Xash might be too old though to be compiled under VS2012 , there's another project forked from Xash that has project files that run on recent builds of Visual Studio

https://code.google.com/p/sing-engine/

Server and Client DLLs from Half-Life (and mods) need to be also be recompiled, but that shouldn't be an issue at all

I'd love to see the real Half-Life running on Windows RT

Last edited:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Why don't you attempt to port the real thing instead of a poorly-made 'port' for the PSP?

The hell are you on about? This is the original quake engine ported to windows RT instead of DOS or full x86 windows, and not a poorly done port. Then a small bunch of hacks are applied to the half life pak files to allow them to run under quake instead of goldsrc (goldsrc is just an extended quake 1 engine, has quake 2 style animations and thats about it).

PSP has nothing to do with it.

As for xash or sing. Might be worth looking at, but this solution runs fine. GL to DX wrapping on RT can be problematic though.

Samuelgames

Aug 21, 2008
Half Life 1 has no 'Pak', It's possible to run Half-Life maps on a Quake-based engine though with major modifications (With per-texture palette and coloured lightmaps and other things) but this is all in the vanilla quake engine, as far as I'm aware, this is based on the Half Life PSP port in QC but it's really buggy regardless of how good it is because of how limited QC and the Vanilla quake engine are for these things,regardless, any Quake Engine of any platform would run it due to the bytecode nature of QC.

The GoldSrc engine has MUCH more to the Quake 1 & 2 engine, this solution is fine if you don't seek much quality, porting it wouldn't be hard anyway.

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Half life running under quake 1 engine massively predates the PSP launch... Have you even tried this hack yourself?

And no, the engines you linked would not be easy to port necessarily. OpenGL instead of directX being a *major* issue. OpenGL to DirectX wrappingcan be highly problematic when it wants to be, RT devices arent even as powerful as old netbooks so if a game wont work with GlDirect (which we do have at least but it doesnt always work with everything) then the only option tends to be software rendering which then leaves us with 0fps. Quake on RT is using directX rendering natively from an existing DirectX quake modification on windows: http://directq.codeplex.com/

Samuelgames

Aug 21, 2008
I don't have a Windows RT device (Wanting to purchase one though, and waiting to see if Cotulla does anything interesting) but I know the inner workings between RT and NTx86 and I've played HL PSP a lot, I have even talked with the original creator regarding it, GLDirect isn't problematic, specially in a game with no HLSL shaders at all, Quake 3 RT runs perfectly over it

quake3.jpg

Even though you are a senior member you seem to have a lack of knowledge and just try to make things up that just make me jiggle, I don't want to make this into a flame war

netham45

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2009
Denver
It doesn't matter how easy/hard the engine to port is, it matters that this is the route he chose to go down. There's no need for flaming another user because he didn't take the route that you determined would be the best. As it stands what he has works (more or less), and he doesn't need guys like you talking down to him over it.

If you dislike this solution to the point that you are this up in arms over it then I suggest that you try to do it yourself, instead of bashing and complaining about the work that others have done. As previously said, DirectX and OpenGL are both finicky on RT. The former is missing a large number of features, and the latter is completely absent. Just because one game runs using a translation layer does not mean that another game will without extensive modification.

Reactions: SixSixSevenSeven

MemoryController

Dec 21, 2011
Thessaloniki
I don't have a Windows RT device (Wanting to purchase one though, and waiting to see if Cotulla does anything interesting) but I know the inner workings between RT and NTx86 and I've played HL PSP a lot, I have even talked with the original creator regarding it, GLDirect isn't problematic, specially in a game with no HLSL shaders at all, Quake 3 RT runs perfectly over it

quake3.jpg

Even though you are a senior member you seem to have a lack of knowledge and just try to make things up that just make me jiggle, I don't want to make this into a flame war

You are the one with lack of knowledge. If you had even bothered to READ the Google code project page, you would have seen that certain CLOSED source i386 ONLY components are required.
If it's so easy why don't YOU do it instead of flaming??

Samuelgames

Aug 21, 2008
Only VGUI, which it works fine without (But doesn't give you a main menu, but you can still do everything on console), I've hacked around Sing and Xash already and I'm a Source Engine aficionado, I only made a suggestion that it would be more interesting to have the real game ported instead of a look-a-like and play-a-like.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody,

and here we go...

Screenshot:
    v7xj5v.jpg

Commands:

W,A,S,D walk
    F use
    LMOUSE fire
    SPACE jump
    N noclip
    P console
    0 change weapon

DOWNLOAD​

Q37MGjU.png

It doesn't matter how easy/hard the engine to port is, it matters that this is the route he chose to go down. There's no need for flaming another user because he didn't take the route that you determined would be the best. As it stands what he has works (more or less), and he doesn't need guys like you talking down to him over it.

If you dislike this solution to the point that you are this up in arms over it then I suggest that you try to do it yourself, instead of bashing and complaining about the work that others have done. As previously said, DirectX and OpenGL are both finicky on RT. The former is missing a large number of features, and the latter is completely absent. Just because one game runs using a translation layer does not mean that another game will without extensive modification.