[Q] New to root, but a few questions after reading

Search This thread

ashenfang

Feb 20, 2014
Whew! Been doing lots of reading before trying to root my Verizon Note 3 but still have a few questions that I am hoping them members here can help answer.

I have the Verizon Note 3 with the newest OTA update, running MJE

From all of the reading I have done there are currently only TWO methods of rooting?

The Kingo Method and the Vegas method using Odin.

Now to my questions.

When I got the Note 3 at launch it suffered from terrible in-call audio quality. This was fixed with the MJE update. If I root, will I loose this fix and the phone suffer from the terrible audio quality again?

The Vegas/Odin method wipes the phone and installs the MJ7 version, correct? If so, can the MJE update be applied without loosing root?

I am not terribly concerned about having to reinstall stuff I am just not sure which is the best method.

After rooting, google play, all my purchased apps, ect. will still work normally, correct?

Thanks!

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
At this time, there isn't a way to go back to the full MJ7 release via Odin once MJE has been installed (whether or not RDLV is involved). So, your concern about MJ7 is moot as you currently have MJE.

My understanding is that RDLV on MJ7 and MJE trips the Knox Warranty flag, & CF Autoroot is not supported on the Verizon N3 variant (SM-N900V) - somebody correct me if that is wrong. (BTW the tripping of the warranty flag has no effect on any functionality). So if that is of concern to you, you can use either Kingo or vroot for rooting.

The only functionality lost as a result of "light rooting" might be Knox container services.

good luck.

ashenfang

Feb 20, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply. So vroot or kingo would be the only options. I am mainly looking to root for the ability to remove bloatware with programs such as titanium. So as I understand it, using a root app such as these will have no impact on how I use my current apps now, playstore, ect. And will retain the MJE update?

Should I choose to root this way and want to uproot, what would be the task?

At this time, there isn't a way to go back to the full MJ7 release via Odin once MJE has been installed (whether or not RDLV is involved). So, your concern about MJ7 is moot as you currently have MJE.

My understanding is that RDLV on MJ7 and MJE trips the Knox Warranty flag, & CF Autoroot is not supported on the Verizon N3 variant (SM-N900V) - somebody correct me if that is wrong. (BTW the tripping of the warranty flag has no effect on any functionality). So if that is of concern to you, you can use either Kingo or vroot for rooting.

The only functionality lost as a result of "light rooting" might be Knox container services.

good luck.

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. So vroot or kingo would be the only options. I am mainly looking to root for the ability to remove bloatware with programs such as titanium. So as I understand it, using a root app such as these will have no impact on how I use my current apps now, playstore, ect. And will retain the MJE update?

Yes.

But note also that in 4.3+ there is a reduced incentive to root to "remove bloatware" - preinstalled (system) apps may be disabled directly from the Applications Manager in the stock ROM. (This will be true for foreground apps like Amazon, NFL, etc, but not true for background services such as the horror which is named "Knox")

Should I choose to root this way and want to uproot, what would be the task?

You would perform a flash via Odin of the full stock ROM which corresponds to your current release (e.g. MJE). (This is a full factory reset which destroys all user data, BTW)

ashenfang

Feb 20, 2014
Ah Ok. So Odin can be used to flash an updated MJE stock ROM but can't be used to root an already updated MJE. Man that's confusing.

I do know that SOME applications can be disabled through the manager but there are still some where this option is not available. Rooting also gives the ability to run apps that block ads, which I like.

Yes.

But note also that in 4.3+ there is a reduced incentive to root to "remove bloatware" - preinstalled (system) apps may be disabled directly from the Applications Manager in the stock ROM. (This will be true for foreground apps like Amazon, NFL, etc, but not true for background services such as the horror which is named "Knox")

You would perform a flash via Odin of the full stock ROM which corresponds to your current release (e.g. MJE). (This is a full factory reset which destroys all user data, BTW)

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Ah Ok. So Odin can be used to flash an updated MJE stock ROM but can't be used to root an already updated MJE. Man that's confusing.

Well, remember that the N3 doesn't implicitly "trust" Odin (or Heimdall), so (with the N3) Odin is limited to flashing stuff which meets the approval (signature verification) of the early-boot gearing which is already installed on the phone. This is how Samsung locks down everything and also enforces anti-rollback measures.

If you believe Samsung at their word, the anti-rollback mechanism was introduced because of Root de la Vega.

ashenfang

Feb 20, 2014
Ok, so basically.....

If I root my phone or were to somehow flash it with a "bad" ROM and had issues that I couldn't fix then..... Odin can be used to flash the Note 3 using a original or "verified verizon ROM" to get it back to stock?

Out of curiosity, should that happen, where does one obtain the "verified MJE ROM" to use with Odin to do the flash?

Well, remember that the N3 doesn't implicitly "trust" Odin (or Heimdall), so (with the N3) Odin is limited to flashing stuff which meets the approval (signature verification) of the early-boot gearing which is already installed on the phone. This is how Samsung locks down everything and also enforces anti-rollback measures.

If you believe Samsung at their word, the anti-rollback mechanism