[Q] Do Any Custom Kernals Improve GPS Accuracy?

Search This thread

Canadaka

Jan 1, 2008
Vancouver
www.trevormay.ca
One of the main uses of my phone is tracking my mountain bike rides with the Strava app. I'm wondering if any of the custom kernals for the HTC One do anything about the GPS radio? Try to improve accuracy or polling intervals? I looked at a whole bunch of the kernal threads and they never mention the gps, mostly performance and battery life tweaks.

This is my phone currently:

HTC ONE M7_UL
ROM: InsertCoin 3.0.2
Firmware: 5.11.661.8
Kernal 3.4.10
Base: 4T.27.3218.14_10.33C.1718.01L
Android: 4.4.2
HBoot: 1.57

Canadaka

Jan 1, 2008
Vancouver
www.trevormay.ca
If you want to get better accuracy editing the GPS.conf is the way to go. This is the post I used to fix mine. So much better
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=953630

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

This seems fairly old... from 2011. Also seems to just increase the lock-on time, not mentioning accuracy?
I made a backup of my gps.conf and tried flashing one of the ZIP files from that thread, but it just says installation aborted.

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
I know it's old. But the GPS.conf files haven't really changed. You will get more satellite locks so accuracy should be better. I just copied the GPS.conf directly. It's stored in the etc folder

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Then reboot your phone and you should get a noticeable difference

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
Let me know how it went. Made a huge difference to my GPS

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

If you are using the stock kernal it may have system read write protection. Check after reboot it might have reverted to old file. If it won't flash in recovery then you will have to flash a custom kernal like elemental and then copy the file

Top Liked Posts