[Article] Oneplus One: The Dark Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
May 19, 2014
In this article, I will summarize all of the reviews of the Oneplus One out there, focusing solely on the often overlooked negatives, and reveal to the reader how the One falls short despite what the hype would have you believe. This is by no means an impartial review, and is an attempt to help prospective buyers make informed decisions in the wake of the tremendous hype making this phone out to be flawless.

If you're reading this here on xda, you're probably already aware of the beastly specs and a price comparable to Google's Nexus line. The use of Cyanogenmod is also a welcome change that implies the phone was built with flashaholics like myself in mind, and will appeal to most power users here. This, coupled with a 'never settle' motto, attempts to fill a void that users of various other flagships have been feeling for a while.

To begin with the hardware, the One does not come with an SD card expansion slot. This is why the phone comes in a 64gb variant in addition to the 16gb One. But this does not even come close to the 144-160gb of maximum storage that other flagships are offering. With pictures taken in RAW format and 4K video recording, you can expect to run out of space all too quickly with less than 60gb of usable space. Assuming, of course, that you are not opting for the 16gb variant, which would seem all but pointless in this regard. Oneplus has been parading Koushik Dutta's views on SD card storage as some sort of excuse for this missing feature, forgetting that it needs to be adequately compensated for before being phased out.

The One uses a non-removable 3100mah battery. Oneplus has been busy trying to convince the consumers that a removable battery would have resulted in sacrifices like lower battery capacity and a thicker phone. This is contradictory to the 3000mah battery found in the Oppo Find 7, which also happens to be using the same chassis as the One, and has a near identical thickness (8.9mm vs. 9.2mm on the Find 7). The Find 7 has both a removable battery and an SD card slot.

The camera is probably one of the defining features of this phone. "6 lenses with an f/2.0 aperture" certainly sounds impressive on paper anyway. However, reviewers have unequivocally been complaining about the poor camera performance and low quality photos, CM hurried to get a fix out, and while they were able to improve upon the downright terrible and washed out photos, they've thus far been unable to resolve the choppy 4k video due to the phone apparently being unable to keep up.

Reviewers have also consistently complained about the in call volume being inaudible: something one would think is the most important aspect of any phone. CM released a quick fix that improved the volume 'a little' but still leaves a lot to be desired. Oneplus claims that this is a software issue that can be addressed.

Coming to the software, anyone who's used CM11 will be aware that there isn't a stable release out yet and only nightlies and snapshots are available. As expected, CM11s is riddled with bugs and FC's on this phone. Indeed, several settings are inaccessible due to FCs and the Xposed framework is unusable if you opt for ART runtime. If you're familiar with JIRA, you will also be aware that such bugs are fixed on a priority basis, and with the CM team already thinly stretched out, you're looking at upto several months before all of these bugs are sufficiently ironed out.

The process of procuring a phone has rarely been this relevant before. Oneplus have added to the One's shortcomings with their insulting invite system- the only possible way of acquiring the One. Despite what faithful disciples of the Oneplus marketing propaganda would have you believe, the invite system is not a result of an inability to meet demand. At a maximum production capacity of 30,000 units per day, it would be safe to presume that they would have amassed a huge stock by now. Their policy is doubtlessly aimed at giving their product a faux feeling of exclusivity and get owners drunk on the power to choose who can have one. Of course, this is false because the invite system will eventually be downsized to "easily attainable invites for all" once the hype machine has slowed down to a crawl. Meanwhile, regular customers who don't want to jump through hoops will have to wait for the majority of 'faithful' forum members to be served before they can have the opportunity, which brings us to the forums.

The Oneplus forum atmosphere is competitive and designed to make you crave the phone by overcoming reasoning. The invite system predictably has many begging for an invite in futility. Members are encouraged to 'contribute' to build up their post count and acquire 'likes' and 'trophy points' to improve their chances of getting an invite. Users who do anything less than glorify the phone are routinely singled out and rebuked. This is further exacerbated by non-existent moderation on the Oneplus forums. The moderators flat out refuse to take any action against racist comments, bigotry and just plain spamming on the forum, calling this style of non-moderation 'discretion'. They obviously want to hold on to prospective customers like grim death.

The latest invite system debacle introduces a 'contest', where users need to accumulate contest points by following Oneplus and posting about them on facebook, twitter and google+. To further improve your non-existent chances (150 invites will be distributed amongst the 50,000+ members), you have to do this everyday for 5 days. To use an analogy, they're holding a sort of lottery but giving everyone 5 tickets which defeats the purpose. They could just as easily give everyone one ticket, which amounts to the same thing, but then this wouldn't make for good advertising. It is plain to see that Oneplus only want the desperate following that other major smartphone manufacturers have- even more so since they need to be desperate enough
to do Oneplus' marketing for them. Here, Oneplus ask for nothing less than your dignity in return for the opportunity to pay anyway.

To conclude, specs alone do not a good phone make and the Oneplus One is certainly lacking in several aspects. The adoption of Cyanogenmod is nothing less than an attempt to buy their following and appeal to the xda flashaholic, and the 'never settle' motto is simply a hollow marketing slogan that falls short of it's promise at the first hurdle.

One tends buys a phone for how it currently performs rather than how it may perform in the future. If you decide you want the One after weighing it's shortcomings, be prepared to either wait for a long time, or prostitute yourself for the early 'privilege' of paying for one.

Last edited:

Torquemada288

May 7, 2007
Adelaide
Thanks for that review. Good to hear a rational, well thought out discussion that cuts through the hype surrounding this handset. As a startup, I can understand why they feel they need such overblown marketing strategies in order to get noticed but that invite system is just retarded. Why would you go to a prostitute who you had to beg and clean her house just so you can then pay her for sex? You can just get married and get the sex for free (though you'll still have to beg and clean). If they want die hard sycophants, maybe they should aim their marketing at the Apple crowd. You might not convert many, but those you do convert will eat a maternity ward's worth of babies to further the hyperbole surrounding your product.

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
Poor review.

All buyers know it doesn't come with removable battery or expandable storage (SD slot). If you need one of this, just don't buy it. Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, 5, Moto X, HTC since One (One S, One X, One M7 - except M8 which has SD slot but no removable battery), iPhone (2g,3g,3gs,4,4s, 5, 5s,6,6s,7,7s, etc), LG G2, many of recent flagships don't have neither removable battery nor SD slot.
I need both removable battery and sd slot, this is why I keep my S4.

It's true that CM isn't stable, but from what I read this version is supposed to be as stable and good as any other OS, except that it won't come with any bloatcrapware. Actually, even if it was a nightly CM, IMHO it'd be better than any other brands OS. I don't remember the last time I had a FC in my S4 running CM11 nightlies (and I'm using ART).

About ART, there are leaks suggesting it will be the default compiler in next Android version that might be released next month. When that happens, I bet Xposed will support ART.

The oneplus invite system is indeed very bad. It's clearly a marketing thing. They just was smart enough to use people as marketers.

Camera quality and voice calls volume is something that is hard to tell. The device wasn't even released yet. But if it's true (bad camera quality and low in-call volume) those complaints should appeear in Oppo 7a which uses the same hardware.

I don't know if I'm going to buy this device because I found it bigger than what I want. I already feel my S4 too big. Besides, I prefer having expandable storage and removable battery.
I'm just considering buying it because it's a very good phone for the price.

Last edited:

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
I appreciate that you are well spoken in your post. Is a welcome break from the inanity that normally spews from most naysayers. That said, you seem to be a bit misinformed and bias. I'm not going to breakdown your post on my tablet, I'll leave that for someone else. You really shouldn't expect something that you wouldn't get on a nexus 5, even though you are getting a larger screen, higher resolution camera, larger battery, more storage, faster processor, more ram, and more customization at a lower price. You're not going to get a removable battery or sd card, the same as a nexus or iPhone. Cm 11s is not cm 11, its a relicensed version of android, is Google certified, and will have a different update schedule and level of stability that is not yet known. How the invite system will affect sales and how difficult it will be to get an invite is also unknown as no invites have been given yet. Nothing is setup to annoy you, and you shouldn't be taking the fact that you don't have this phone personally.

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jubi Lee

Feb 3, 2011
You forgot to mention the missing LTE bands. So yes the phone has a number of potential drawbacks but I'll still buy one if I can get my hands on it before my trip to the UK this summer. At least it's not locked to a network and rockin' a locked bootloader like AT&T's Galaxy S5.

As for the invite system, all it's going to do is put too much money into the pockets of Ebay flippers.

May 19, 2014
@Torquemada288

Glad you appreciate and get it. Indeed apple fanatics are flocking towards the hype vortex on the oneplus forums as only apple fans could, asking for advice on apple withdrawal. At least they will be introduced to android.

May 19, 2014
@Jubi Lee

This is not an exhaustive list of flaws but a look at some of the more serious ones.

Missing LTE band 20, wireless charging, etc. are inconsequential to most imho.

May 19, 2014
@extrem0 and @The Jack of Clubs,

Kindly read paragraph one again as you seem to be mistaken about my motivations for writing this post. My intention is not to steer people away from this product or to recommend the 6 month old Nexus 5. It is to negate the marketing propaganda people will inevitably run into when trying to learn about this phone, help them avoid the honey trap and make a lasting decision they can be happy with. I've done this partly by highlighting the more serious flaws in the One itself and partly by reporting contradictory information from Oneplus that reveal a lot of excuses and a hollow ideology.

It may well be that this will be the most stable version of CM yet, but this is not reflected in the current state of affairs: very buggy, as evidenced by the FC's within the settings app that most cm users would be familiar with (to state a single example). While this is something that one would expect from a rooted phone customized to high heaven, it is far from the experience expected of a stock, unrooted, unmodified phone.

Reactions: nandineo and JBH168

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
@OP

I appreciate the negative side since I've only read good things about it. It will help me weigh the pros and cons to decide whether I want one or not.

Personally the price is tempting and I would only use it during the weekends and to cure my flasholic itches. For work days I'll stick to my Note 3 and probably Note 4 or even LG G3 depending how it is and if I'm willing to switch to LG for work.

-Sent from Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
I did read your full post including the first paragraph. I'm just saying your review isn't that true for the reasons I wrote in my last post.
You are talking about CM. There are a lot of phones running CM, official an unofficial builds. Saying it's very buggy is very inappropriate, since there are many phones and maintainers. I already said. I'm using it in my S4 (nightly build) and it's very stable. Now, if you try a Cm in a 2 year phone that the manufacturer didn't release kernel sources updates, then you're very likely to have a CM buggy with some FC.

I agree with you about opo invite system, but I disagree about all the rest. The phone wasn't released yet, you can't talk about what is unavailable. Even if it was available, it can be fixed, just as Google has been doing to Nexus 5 camera.

Last edited:

coolravsun

Nov 15, 2011
Extremely HATEFUL, BIASED and BUTT-HURT article.

In this article, I will summarize all of the reviews of the Oneplus One out there, focusing solely on the often overlooked negatives, and reveal to the reader how the One falls short despite what the hype would have you believe. This is by no means an impartial review, and is an attempt to help prospective buyers make informed decisions in the wake of the tremendous hype making this phone out to be flawless.

If you're reading this here on xda, you're probably already aware of the beastly specs and a price comparable to Google's Nexus line. The use of Cyanogenmod is also a welcome change that implies the phone was built with flashaholics like myself in mind, and will appeal to most power users here. This, coupled with a 'never settle' motto, attempts to fill a void that users of various other flagships have been feeling for a while.

To begin with the hardware, the One does not come with an SD card expansion slot. This is why the phone comes in a 64gb variant in addition to the 16gb One. But this does not even come close to the 144-160gb of maximum storage that other flagships are offering. With pictures taken in RAW format and 4K video recording, you can expect to run out of space all too quickly with less than 60gb of usable space. Assuming, of course, that you are not opting for the 16gb variant, which would seem all but pointless in this regard. Oneplus has been parading Koushik Dutta's views on SD card storage as some sort of excuse for this missing feature, forgetting that it needs to be adequately compensated for before being phased out.

The One uses a non-removable 3100mah battery. Oneplus has been busy trying to convince the consumers that a removable battery would have resulted in sacrifices like lower battery capacity and a thicker phone. This is contradictory to the 3000mah battery found in the Oppo Find 7, which also happens to be using the same chassis as the One, and has a near identical thickness (8.9mm vs. 9.2mm on the Find 7). The Find 7 has both a removable battery and an SD card slot.

The camera is probably one of the defining features of this phone. "6 lenses with an f/2.0 aperture" certainly sounds impressive on paper anyway. However, reviewers have unequivocally been complaining about the poor camera performance and low quality photos, CM hurried to get a fix out, and while they were able to improve upon the downright terrible and washed out photos, they've thus far been unable to resolve the choppy 4k video due to the phone apparently being unable to keep up.

Reviewers have also consistently complained about the in call volume being inaudible: something one would think is the most important aspect of any phone. CM released a quick fix that improved the volume 'a little' but still leaves a lot to be desired. Oneplus claims that this is a software issue that can be addressed.

Coming to the software, anyone who's used CM11 will be aware that there isn't a stable release out yet and only nightlies and snapshots are available. As expected, CM11s is riddled with bugs and FC's on this phone. Indeed, several settings are inaccessible due to FCs and the Xposed framework is unusable if you opt for ART runtime. If you're familiar with JIRA, you will also be aware that such bugs are fixed on a priority basis, and with the CM team already thinly stretched out, you're looking at upto several months before all of these bugs are sufficiently ironed out.

The process of procuring a phone has rarely been this relevant before. Oneplus have added to the One's shortcomings with their insulting invite system- the only possible way of acquiring the One. Despite what faithful disciples of the Oneplus marketing propaganda would have you believe, the invite system is not a result of an inability to meet demand. At a maximum production capacity of 30,000 units per day, it would be safe to presume that they would have amassed a huge stock by now. Their policy is doubtlessly aimed at giving their product a faux feeling of exclusivity and get owners drunk on the power to choose who can have one. Of course, this is false because the invite system will eventually be downsized to "easily attainable invites for all" once the hype machine has slowed down to a crawl. Meanwhile, regular customers who don't want to jump through hoops will have to wait for the majority of 'faithful' forum members to be served before they can have the opportunity, which brings us to the forums.

The Oneplus forum atmosphere is competitive and designed to make you crave the phone by overcoming reasoning. The invite system predictably has many begging for an invite in futility. Members are encouraged to 'contribute' to build up their post count and acquire 'likes' and 'trophy points' to improve their chances of getting an invite. Users who do anything less than glorify the phone are routinely singled out and rebuked. This is further exacerbated by non-existent moderation on the Oneplus forums. The moderators flat out refuse to take any action against racist comments, bigotry and just plain spamming on the forum, calling this style of non-moderation 'discretion'. They obviously want to hold on to prospective customers like grim death.

The latest invite system debacle introduces a 'contest', where users need to accumulate contest points by following Oneplus and posting about them on facebook, twitter and google+. To further improve your non-existent chances (150 invites will be distributed amongst the 50,000+ members), you have to do this everyday for 5 days. To use an analogy, they're holding a sort of lottery but giving everyone 5 tickets which defeats the purpose. They could just as easily give everyone one ticket, which amounts to the same thing, but then this wouldn't make for good advertising. It is plain to see that Oneplus only want the desperate following that other major smartphone manufacturers have- even more so since they need to be desperate enough
to do Oneplus' marketing for them. Here, Oneplus ask for nothing less than your dignity in return for the opportunity to pay anyway.

To conclude, specs alone do not a good phone make and the Oneplus One is certainly lacking in several aspects. The adoption of Cyanogenmod is nothing less than an attempt to buy their following and appeal to the xda flashaholic, and the 'never settle' motto is simply a hollow marketing slogan that falls short of it's promise at the first hurdle.

One tends buys a phone for how it currently performs rather than how it may perform in the future. If you decide you want the One after weighing it's shortcomings, be prepared to either wait for a long time, or prostitute yourself for the early 'privilege' of paying for one.

Contradictory to what it claims to be, this article/review or whatever it is, is really Biased and perhaps so because the writer was recently kicked out of the OnePlus forums.

I have read and watched a Dozen reviews of this phone. And like every other Flagship Smartphone (be it SAMSUNG, LG or SONY) out there, there have been issues/niggles reported for this one too. But, nothing is as DRAMATICally World-Shattering as is being made out by the writer here.

Last edited:

chil3r

Jan 5, 2014
Split
I agree of all matters! The lack of SD card is very uncomforting, esspecialy if you need to replace the phone... all your data needs moving.
The idea of OnePlus is great, but because of this negativities, I will wait for the next comming models!

dansou901

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus 5
OnePlus Nord
I agree of all matters! The lack of SD card is very uncomforting, esspecialy if you need to replace the phone... all your data needs moving.
The idea of OnePlus is great, but because of this negativities, I will wait for the next comming models!

I don't mind the lack of SD card. For me this is fine since I'm going for the 64 GB version. If I want to move data, I use a USB stick (luckily, the phone supports OTG).

Reactions: eSKaPe and p51d007
May 19, 2014
@extrem0

I was describing bugs in cm11s affecting THIS phone in a post production model. Yes they'll likely be fixed eventually but as it stands now, it poses a problem.
@coolravsun

Lol I find that hilarious. You couldn't try to get kicked out of the Oneplus forums. Considering what I've mentioned...there was even someone bragging about fraud, posting screenshots of himself commiting the act and he didn't get banned; no his posts weren't even censored. He sure racked up plenty of 'likes' though. I really don't think its possible to get kicked off of there.

These 'niggles' that you mention are exactly what I've described here (some of them anyway), But I've left it to the reader to decide whether they're 'niggles' or something bigger.

I understand you're hurt and don't blame you as I suspect you're on day 3 of 5 and would have collected 20 something contest points by now.

coolravsun

Nov 15, 2011
@extrem0

I was describing bugs in cm11s affecting THIS phone in a post production model. Yes they'll likely be fixed eventually but as it stands now, it poses a problem.

@coolravsun

Lol I find that hilarious. You couldn't try to get kicked out of the Oneplus forums. Considering what I've mentioned...there was even someone bragging about fraud, posting screenshots of himself commiting the act and he didn't get banned; no his posts weren't even censored. He sure racked up plenty of 'likes' though. I really don't think its possible to get kicked off of there.

These 'niggles' that you mention are exactly what I've described here (some of them anyway), But I've left it to the reader to decide whether they're 'niggles' or something bigger.

I understand you're hurt and don't blame you as I suspect you're on day 3 of 5 and would have collected 20 something contest points by now.

Hurt??? Why would I be hurt? It's not my company or product that you are *****ing about. I am only trying to tell you that all these issues/niggles are workable and NONE of the Smartphones ever have been free of defects/issues. So, OnePlus also deserves some space before being dismissed as another cheap chinese company.

And please stop trying to paint yourself white by saying "I've left it to the reader to decide whether they're 'niggles' or something bigger". Before even trying to claim so, please go through Andrew's review on AndroidCentral. That's how you be frank and transparent in your review.

Whereas, right from the start, your post smells of some kind of personal vendetta against OnePlus for some reason. One thing you should agree upon that it is not Open-Minded and is HEAVILY biased against OnePlus.

st0ned0ne

May 25, 2012
Odense
Because of the marketing scheme I'm very tempted to give up my quest for this phone. The exclusiveness of the invite system is even more appalling then the prices and business practices associated with the Apple brand. What about adults who don't want to beg like a little girl so that we may be allowed to give You our money, this even when You're profiting from our effort in terms of free and saved advertisement. IMHO they are treating us all like children.

I'd rather not have Your logo on every single piece of hardware in the phone, I'd sooner want a decent system where I'm able to have a comfortable and satisfying purchase experience.

Reactions: Han-Droid

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
@extrem0

I didn't know that probably because I'm not in touch with anyone who has the phone. But I bet there are 100 people at most that has the device as a customer. They received their device pretty quickly without the accessories. I think that when the device becomes available this bugs will already be fixed. Probably more will appear. Fortunately, it's a software issue, so it can be fixed in the already produced phones.

I'm really considering buying this device. The downside is the lack of SD slot, removable battery and its phablet size. But you won't find a device with this specs for this price. This is why there are a lot of people interested in.
I've been wondering that the lack of SD card can be a good thing, since if you lose or have your phone stolen, the thief won't have your SD card right away with a lot of information. Besides 64gb is more than enough for the majority (including myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Extremely HATEFUL, BIASED and BUTT-HURT article.

Contradictory to what it claims to be, this article/review or whatever it is, is really Biased and perhaps so because the writer was recently kicked out of the OnePlus forums.

I have read and watched a Dozen reviews of this phone. And like every other Flagship Smartphone (be it SAMSUNG, LG or SONY) out there, there have been issues/niggles reported for this one too. But, nothing is as DRAMATICally World-Shattering as is being made out by the writer here.
    Poor review.

All buyers know it doesn't come with removable battery or expandable storage (SD slot). If you need one of this, just don't buy it. Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, 5, Moto X, HTC since One (One S, One X, One M7 - except M8 which has SD slot but no removable battery), iPhone (2g,3g,3gs,4,4s, 5, 5s,6,6s,7,7s, etc), LG G2, many of recent flagships don't have neither removable battery nor SD slot.
    I need both removable battery and sd slot, this is why I keep my S4.

It's true that CM isn't stable, but from what I read this version is supposed to be as stable and good as any other OS, except that it won't come with any bloatcrapware. Actually, even if it was a nightly CM, IMHO it'd be better than any other brands OS. I don't remember the last time I had a FC in my S4 running CM11 nightlies (and I'm using ART).

About ART, there are leaks suggesting it will be the default compiler in next Android version that might be released next month. When that happens, I bet Xposed will support ART.

The oneplus invite system is indeed very bad. It's clearly a marketing thing. They just was smart enough to use people as marketers.

Camera quality and voice calls volume is something that is hard to tell. The device wasn't even released yet. But if it's true (bad camera quality and low in-call volume) those complaints should appeear in Oppo 7a which uses the same hardware.

I don't know if I'm going to buy this device because I found it bigger than what I want. I already feel my S4 too big. Besides, I prefer having expandable storage and removable battery.
    I'm just considering buying it because it's a very good phone for the price.
    I appreciate that you are well spoken in your post. Is a welcome break from the inanity that normally spews from most naysayers. That said, you seem to be a bit misinformed and bias. I'm not going to breakdown your post on my tablet, I'll leave that for someone else. You really shouldn't expect something that you wouldn't get on a nexus 5, even though you are getting a larger screen, higher resolution camera, larger battery, more storage, faster processor, more ram, and more customization at a lower price. You're not going to get a removable battery or sd card, the same as a nexus or iPhone. Cm 11s is not cm 11, its a relicensed version of android, is Google certified, and will have a different update schedule and level of stability that is not yet known. How the invite system will affect sales and how difficult it will be to get an invite is also unknown as no invites have been given yet. Nothing is setup to annoy you, and you shouldn't be taking the fact that you don't have this phone personally.

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    @extrem0 and @The Jack of Clubs,

Kindly read paragraph one again as you seem to be mistaken about my motivations for writing this post. My intention is not to steer people away from this product or to recommend the 6 month old Nexus 5. It is to negate the marketing propaganda people will inevitably run into when trying to learn about this phone, help them avoid the honey trap and make a lasting decision they can be happy with. I've done this partly by highlighting the more serious flaws in the One itself and partly by reporting contradictory information from Oneplus that reveal a lot of excuses and a hollow ideology.

It may well be that this will be the most stable version of CM yet, but this is not reflected in the current state of affairs: very buggy, as evidenced by the FC's within the settings app that most cm users would be familiar with (to state a single example). While this is something that one would expect from a rooted phone customized to high heaven, it is far from the experience expected of a stock, unrooted, unmodified phone.